IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Interior trim replacement and rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 11:58 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior trim replacement and rattles?

This is a strange question, but has anyone replaced or wrapped their interior trim with something else and noticed fewer rattles/squeaks? It seems to me that 75%+ of my squeaks come from the cheap plastic pieces on the center console, dash and doors. I'm just wondering if upgrades would help.

Cheers!
Old 05-17-09, 04:48 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

So they are purely cosmetic?....that's what I was afraid of.
Old 05-17-09, 06:54 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

which rattles... i have absolutely no rattles in the dash tho...
Old 05-17-09, 10:04 PM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
This is a strange question, but has anyone replaced or wrapped their interior trim with something else and noticed fewer rattles/squeaks? It seems to me that 75%+ of my squeaks come from the cheap plastic pieces on the center console, dash and doors. I'm just wondering if upgrades would help.

Cheers!
Actually... that's funny you mentioned this problem. I just had Sewell Lexus (Dallas,TX) fix this a issue a few weeks ago. You are indeed correct. There is a rattling noise from the plastic area on lower instrument panel. Mine started happening 3 or 4 mos ago around 30k miles. I brought this to them and explained the noise. They test drove the vehicle to verify the noise. They isolated the noise to lower portion of the instrument panel. The tech removed the lower instrument panel on driver's side and "insulated" several spots. I do not know what they insulated it with. Whatever they used worked awesome, and left no funny smell like I would have imagined. They reassembled and testdrove. NO MORE NOISE. Thank God. It was irritating the heck out of me, and I'm glad Sewell fixed the noise with no questions asked. The car is still under warranty (06). Tell your dealer the problem, hopefully they will be cool to you as well and fix your rattling problem. I told my SA that I refuse to drive a 40K dollar vehicle and have it sound like a cheap *** economy car when it hits the slightest little bump. He fully agreed with my statement. Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Ian
Old 05-18-09, 04:03 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^DGZis350,

Are you talking about a rattle by the pedals/OBD port. I had one too after taking my car in for all the service recalls. All it was for me was that the the panel around the OBD port was slightly off when installed, so it wasn't being held in properly. Like you said, it was REALLY annoying cause every little bump made it creak. But, a quick adjustment fixed it, without having to go to the dealer (thank goodness).

PS: good color
Old 05-18-09, 04:07 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, FiveOhNine,

I know of a rattle that occurs in my front passenger door due to the map door "flap" vibrating against the door itself when there's bass in the speaker. A temporary fix is to just pull open the flap for a minute or two, then shut it again.

I've been meaning to put a small felt spacer or something there to try minimizing it.....just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 05-18-09, 10:16 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I've brought it in 5 or 6 times for rattles, and God love 'em, they do try to fix the problems...but new ones always seem to pop up every few months.

I think I just need to tear it all apart and put some decent insulation in there. I was just wondering if any of the CF pieces helped anyone with similar problems.
Old 11-09-09, 03:53 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Bringing up this old thread since the noise problem is very similar to mine. My rattle is coming from either behind the steering wheel or somewhere near ODBII port. It's one of those noises that annoying the hell out me because it's very loud even with the radio on, and I know it's somewhere behind the steering wheel. I even looked with my flashlight but nothing looking suspicious. I got a 250 loaner car that had the exact noise coming from the same spot, so it seems very common. Anyone know where the noise is coming from?
Old 11-09-09, 04:37 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

got my car out of the dealer for them to fix the rattling noises. For some reason there are new noises from the the dash again. They insulated with some type of teflon insulation, from what they told me. Now i hear a funny swoosh noise on the passenger/ rear door panel.