IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear Power Shade DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14 | 01:38 PM
06350F
Lead Lap

I just want to find the switches . Where did you find yours? eBay is out of its mind on price
Old 06-13-15 | 02:41 AM
reensel
Driver School Candidate

Hi all.

So I am from Germany and I did exact this what was attempted here

I drive a IS250 Sport and I finished the work of integrating a power Sun Shade into my car!

It is really simple:

Purchase the following things:
1. Rear Power Sun Shade
2. Power Sun "Shade" Switch
3. 2-pieces hat rack (my Sport variant had a 1-piece hat rack without the cut for the shade

In the front there is a GREEN plug behind the blind cap for the "Shade" Switch. When you look exact on the blind cap you will see a small green stripe on top - this indicates that the GREEN plug is correct!

In the back under the hat rack is a BLACK plug for the power Sun shade.

Connect and install them as shown few sites before.

NOW - the most important thing is that yall look behind the rear seat. There is a blind plug (white) - in this there going in 4 cables (2x red and 2x blue)
You have to Bridge them!!!
connect the cables in there colours and thats it

I made a DIY in Germany and link it here for you. Of course it is in german- use the google translator or ask me separatly.

Regards and happy building.

Link to my DIY:
http://euro.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37829-is250-power-sun-shade-elektrisches-sonnenrollo-nachrusten/?fromsearch=1

Last edited by reensel; 06-13-15 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-07-15 | 02:28 PM
cloud777x
Rookie

Default reensel THANK YOU.

THANK YOU reensel

You helped me get my rear power sunshade to work on my '08 lexus gs350. The wires on the GS350 is different color, but same method. I had to look for that white connector some where in the chassis and when I found it, it is as you said splice the 4 wires and wah la!
Old 02-23-16 | 09:43 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Default No power to sunshade

Hello and sorry to revive an old thread. I just completed the sunshade DIY yesterday after work and got the switch installed today and there is no power going to the sunshade switch. I noticed it's not lighting up like the other buttons. I did the connecting of the blue and red wires and I'm stumped. The sunshade is linked to fuse #18 in the driver side interior fuse box and I changed that even though it was fine just to be sure. Any body have any ideas as to how I'd get power to the sunshade switch so it lights up and operates the sunshade? Thanks guys I really appreciate it!
Old 02-24-16 | 02:48 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chriso5573
Hello and sorry to revive an old thread. I just completed the sunshade DIY yesterday after work and got the switch installed today and there is no power going to the sunshade switch. I noticed it's not lighting up like the other buttons. I did the connecting of the blue and red wires and I'm stumped. The sunshade is linked to fuse #18 in the driver side interior fuse box and I changed that even though it was fine just to be sure. Any body have any ideas as to how I'd get power to the sunshade switch so it lights up and operates the sunshade? Thanks guys I really appreciate it!
I did this diy too, but in my case there was no green connector to the switch. The only one that was hanging behind the console was a blue connector(which i think is for headlights washers). So i modified it so it could fit in the sunshade switch. From there i had the illumination for the button, but i had to run the power and ground(), wires directly from the power shade. Hooked them up to the right pins in the connector and it worked.
Old 02-24-16 | 03:12 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Default OMG thank you

Thank you OP and everyone else for making this DIY possible. Thanks for responding pavelekPL.

I went to the dealer to ask for help and they were of no help at all. Yes I modified the blue connector and cut off that nub on one corner to make it fit into the switch. However, once I connected my switch still wouldn't light up. I tested the switch and I bought a burnt out one =/.

pavelekPL, would you be so kind as to give me a few more details so I can mimic your setup. I can easily plug in a fuse tap but wouldn't know what pin to wire it to after that. I attached a picture of the blue plug in my car and would love it if you could point me in the right direction. Also, did you run power all the way to the sunshade?

I don't know if you can see how different the green and the blue plugs are in the attached images.

In the wiring diagram screenshot below available in it's entirety in the attachments in lamikela1's post in this link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-be-added.html

What do "E" "SW" "REV" and "IG" stand for? I assume "REV" is the reverse signal to make it lower and other than that I have no idea.

ANY help would be much appreciated. Trying to get this sorted out before I head to Georgia for my BOLC (basic officer leadership course). Thanks guys!!
Attached Thumbnails Rear Power Shade DIY-img_5286.jpg   Rear Power Shade DIY-screen-shot-2016-02-24-at-4.34.22-pm.png   Rear Power Shade DIY-screen-shot-2016-02-24-at-8.57.03-pm.png   Rear Power Shade DIY-image_66311b55ae091932367637f58cd1585059f49363.jpg  

Last edited by chriso5573; 02-24-16 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-24-16 | 09:16 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Default Our cars are not 100% pre-wired for this

Just want to make sure any one that attempts this DIY knows that our (USA) cars are not pre-wired for the sun shade. The blue plug, as pavelekPL stated, is indeed for the headlight washers. If you have a blue plug you will be in the same situation as I currently find myself in. The black plug in the rear that plugs into the sunshade is there however. Would hate for someone to have sourced the parts and installed them only to find that it really isn't plug and play as others may have stated.
Old 02-27-16 | 10:25 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Just want to make sure any one that attempts this DIY knows that our (USA) cars are not pre-wired for the sun shade. The blue plug, as pavelekPL stated, is indeed for the headlight washers. If you have a blue plug you will be in the same situation as I currently find myself in. The black plug in the rear that plugs into the sunshade is there however. Would hate for someone to have sourced the parts and installed them only to find that it really isn't plug and play as others may have stated.
Thanks for the info..I got really excited then really disappointed to hear it isn't prewired... I'd love to do this mod now that I discovered it. I don't understand why they would have the plug in the rear but not upfront? Lame... I wonder if there is something that can be run from the ECU to the switch to complete this mod.
Old 02-28-16 | 03:23 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Default Harness behind switch

I thought the same thing. Why not buy the harness that plugs into the sunshade switch. I called lexus of south atlanta parts (I bought my replacement switch from them and they have way better prices than my local dealer) and they told me I would need part #82141-53F11 which is the entire dash harness and would cost around $1200. I think at this point the best solution is to just wire between power from the sunshade to the switch. All in all its not too expensive of a mod if you can source the rear deck and sunshade from a junkyard (both came out to $180 with shipping). The switch cost be about $63 new and about $10 on a 40ft spool of wire.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Power Shade DIY-82141-53f11.jpg  
Old 02-28-16 | 04:42 PM
enlight
Driver School Candidate

Nice work and research that you are doing. It's really a big help for anyone who wants to add this option.
Which junkyard site did you source the sunshade and deck from?
Old 02-28-16 | 05:39 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Thanks, I'll be sure to post my findings after I get my replacement switch in the mail. I got the rear deck and sunshade from B & R Auto Parts in Lubbock, Texas. They shipped insanely fast and had really good prices. I found them by searching through http://car-part.com for "Window Shade"
Old 02-29-16 | 03:35 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Sorry it took me so long to respond but here it is.

Sunshade diagram:

The modified connector:

So looking at the connector from this perspective, from left side to right you got:
PINS: 4 3 2 1.

PIn 4: Ground
Pin 3: Switch
Pin 2: Illumination
Pin 1: Power(Ignition)

Like i said before, I modified the existing blue connector and all i needed to do was wire up the pins 4 and 3.
Pins 1 and 2 are left intact and originally wired.
In order to wire the pin 3 (switch) i had to tap into, and run the wire all the way from the sunshade assembly back to the connector.

And this is where i found the ground point(the red wire):

Paul.
Old 02-29-16 | 04:09 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
Sorry it took me so long to respond but here it is.

Sunshade diagram:

The modified connector:

So looking at the connector from this perspective, from left side to right you got:
PINS: 4 3 2 1.

PIn 4: Ground
Pin 3: Switch
Pin 2: Illumination
Pin 1: Power(Ignition)

Like i said before, I modified the existing blue connector and all i needed to do was wire up the pins 4 and 3.
Pins 1 and 2 are left intact and originally wired.
In order to wire the pin 3 (switch) i had to tap into, and run the wire all the way from the sunshade assembly back to the connector.

And this is where i found the ground point(the red wire):

Paul.
You're a genious! I can't wait to try this. First I need to source the parts. Thank you
Old 02-29-16 | 04:42 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Default Thank you

Thanks PavelekPL this helps a whole lot!! Thank you for taking the time to reply. I just have one more question. In the rear sunshade connector did you tap into the IG, SW, E, or, REV wire? Sorry I can't make much sense of the diagram. Thanks again for all the help!
Old 02-29-16 | 05:11 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Thanks PavelekPL this helps a whole lot!! Thank you for taking the time to reply. I just have one more question. In the rear sunshade connector did you tap into the IG, SW, E, or, REV wire? Sorry I can't make much sense of the diagram. Thanks again for all the help!
You need to tap into the SW wire

Quick Reply: Rear Power Shade DIY