IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Next Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09 | 07:05 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Default Next Mod?

So after having my exhaust for so long and loving it, I am looking into adding another modification to my car. It has been about 10 months since I have been on these forums, so I apologize for my absence as I have been very busy. I hope you all have been doing well..!

I am looking into getting an intake however all the threads I read talk about a "placebo" effect and I have yet to find any solid information on an intake that sounds good AND PRODUCES MORE POWER than stock. I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars on a modification that will have no effect other than noise.. not worth it IMHO.

With this being said, does anyone out there have any suggestions on an intake or other modification (minus forced induction) that they recommend for some solid extra power? I'm hoping SOMETHING has come on the markey during my absence from the scene.

TIA!
Old 05-22-09 | 07:28 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

If I had the money id get a ARC intake box.

800 for 9hp gain i think. dont quote me though
Old 05-22-09 | 08:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JB IS350X

With this being said, does anyone out there have any suggestions on an intake or other modification (minus forced induction) that they recommend for some solid extra power? I'm hoping SOMETHING has come on the markey during my absence from the scene.

TIA!
There's no such product.

The Joe Z will add 5 hp, which is as much or more than anything else, and it's only $109. If you want more sound from it cut holes in the lower airbox (search, there's a couple threads on folks who did it)
Old 05-22-09 | 09:18 PM
SlickRSM
Pole Position

^^^^^^^^ what he said

Def Joe-Z intake with HKS drop in filter will be the best bang for the buck. Although its the quieter of the bunch of intakes out on a plus its the cheapest and add the most hp!
Old 05-22-09 | 11:00 PM
is2seattle
Lead Lap

Joe-Z Intake Pipe + F-Sport High Flow Air Filter w/ Lower High Intake Box (on sale at sewell lexus; check our vendors sections) i think this is the best combo
Old 05-23-09 | 10:28 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Awesome.. Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into the JoeZ. No headers out for our cars yet still?
Old 05-23-09 | 10:55 AM
awdlexusis
Driver School Candidate

afe intake thats what i got and i love it!!!
Old 05-23-09 | 11:06 AM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

there are headers out for the car, but due to lexus's ecu management system its almost a useless mod... cant see it, and no large gains.. for a lot of money.
Old 05-23-09 | 04:48 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

AFAIK there are -0- headers available for the IS350.

There's a couple made for the 250, that will physically fit the 350, but I don't know of anyone who has tried em and I doubt you'd see much of any benefit. (and the Jun-TW ones are stupid expensive too).

When Mazzuri was still in business he made a couple prototype designs, none of which produced measurable hp gains. They have have arguably shown some low torque gains but it was never really clear if they did, and he's out of business now.
Old 05-23-09 | 05:39 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Jeez... well that is all kinda depressing.. There are TONS of mods available for the 1st gen IS300 but it seems that the market is lacking on making mods for our cars.

Again, I appreciate the info. I'm probably gonna pick up an intake soon but I want to do a dyno before and after and see if anything changes. I'll post about it when I do. I guess maybe I just need to supercharge it
Old 05-23-09 | 07:23 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by awdlexusis
afe intake thats what i got and i love it!!!
link my friend??
Old 05-23-09 | 07:29 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Jeez... well that is all kinda depressing.. There are TONS of mods available for the 1st gen IS300 but it seems that the market is lacking on making mods for our cars.

Again, I appreciate the info. I'm probably gonna pick up an intake soon but I want to do a dyno before and after and see if anything changes. I'll post about it when I do. I guess maybe I just need to supercharge it
the 1IS had a totally different engine that conveniently was used in the supra before it.

You won't see much from the dyno, 5 hp tops excluding normal variance.

Nobody makes a supercharger kit for the 350 either... LMS did for a while, it gave you 40 hp for about $6000... just about nobody bought since the gains were so poor for the cost... and given the IS-F is selling at some dealers under 50k now there's not much point in going that way.

If you want significantly more hp than the 350 comes with stock you bought the wrong car.
Old 05-23-09 | 07:41 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kurtz
the 1IS had a totally different engine that conveniently was used in the supra before it.

You won't see much from the dyno, 5 hp tops excluding normal variance.

Nobody makes a supercharger kit for the 350 either... LMS did for a while, it gave you 40 hp for about $6000... just about nobody bought since the gains were so poor for the cost... and given the IS-F is selling at some dealers under 50k now there's not much point in going that way.

If you want significantly more hp than the 350 comes with stock you bought the wrong car.
I wanted the option for more power with aftermarket options. When I bought the car there was a lot of talk about what was to come for the 2IS however it seemed to never happen. And of course, as you stated, with the IS-F's arrival, the 350 has been pushed even more into the shadows.

Our cars are definitely underrated in HP, that is obvious. I was however looking for some basic mods just to give it a little edge over comparable cars out there right now.

Maybe I will just have to trade it in for the F, or drop the GS's V8 into it like they did on tv .

Thanks for responding.. BTW, do you feel your F-Sport intake has had any positive on your vehicle? I just found out a buddy of mine works with Toyota/Lexus and can get me one wholesale and installed for free at a dealership. Do you feel it was worth it? Thanks again.
Old 05-24-09 | 07:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I wanted the option for more power with aftermarket options. When I bought the car there was a lot of talk about what was to come for the 2IS however it seemed to never happen. And of course, as you stated, with the IS-F's arrival, the 350 has been pushed even more into the shadows.

Our cars are definitely underrated in HP, that is obvious. I was however looking for some basic mods just to give it a little edge over comparable cars out there right now.

Maybe I will just have to trade it in for the F, or drop the GS's V8 into it like they did on tv .

Thanks for responding.. BTW, do you feel your F-Sport intake has had any positive on your vehicle? I just found out a buddy of mine works with Toyota/Lexus and can get me one wholesale and installed for free at a dealership. Do you feel it was worth it? Thanks again.

The F-sport intake adds about 5 hp, just like all the other intakes. I got mine for about $200 and installed it myself (if you weren't getting it done free I'd never suggest you pay someone, it's very very easy).

As you say there's very little that adds power to the car, so I did the two basic things that add any at all.. intake (5 hp) and an axle-back exhaust (7 hp)... I paid 200 and 400 bucks respectively and did the installs myself.

I'd never have paid MSRP for either as they're stupid expensive for the gains they offer...(a full exhaust that gives you 10-12 hp instead of the 7 of an axle back even moreso in the stupid-expensive category, not to mention illegal)

Engine swap isn't much of an idea... besides the problems you'll have getting anything else in the car to work you have the cost which'll run significantly higher than just trading in for a faster Lexus.

The engine in the IS350 runs 11.8:1 compression, there's not much to be done for forced induction... and the other traditional power gainers (intake and exhaust) are already pretty good from the factory so gains are the minimal ones I mentioned earlier.

Nitrous is an option for you if you're willing to take the risk and not have the power available full time...but that's about it.
Old 05-28-09 | 11:51 AM
Lucid
Driver

I second the AFE intake. wont notice any HP gains but sound is wicked !

Quick Reply: Next Mod?