IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Opinions please, IS250 AWD, G37X, or TL-AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-09, 10:34 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acuras new line is horrible. I love the power they pack in the TL but the cars are so ugly now.

G37 would be on my list before the IS250AWD, i hate the lack of power the IS250 has.
Old 05-23-09, 11:23 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dayrinni
I drive a 2008 IS250 AWD and live in upstate NY. So you can probably guess I've driven through a fair share of snow during my life time. The IS250 handled great and I had no issues at all compared to other cars I owned. I'm a real big fan of the seats as I have pinched nerves in my back and with previous cars I had back issues after driving for long distances. Not with this car. I also wanted reliability so it was really a no brainer to choose Lexus. Of course, it is "underpowered" compared to the other models in the IS line, but I'm fine with that. I'm not a super aggressive driver.
Good points here for the IS, esp the seats. I have a very sore back due to my profession, and having seat comfort is of utmost importance.

The G's seats were not as comfy...
Old 05-23-09, 11:28 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nmpeter
Acuras new line is horrible. I love the power they pack in the TL but the cars are so ugly now.

G37 would be on my list before the IS250AWD, i hate the lack of power the IS250 has.
Yes, the G has about 100 more hp+ than the IS.

Bottom line: I chose either power or comfort/refinement.
Old 05-23-09, 11:41 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by docboy
Yes, the G has about 100 more hp+ than the IS.

Bottom line: I chose either power or comfort/refinement.
i would chose comfort/refinement over power but thats me.. Here in chicago you cant really use all the power. It either snowing or theres some old person driving in the fast lane.
Old 05-23-09, 03:02 PM
LexFather

The G37x is the best value. Its a the size of the GS with the price of the IS. It has great power and the new 7 speed auto helps acceleration and economy. I think it looks like a jellybean but the interior is nice (though not IS nice). You can get smoking deals on Infinitis as well as they are desperate to sell.

Its hard to ignore the over 100hp loss the IS 250 AWD gives up but since you already drive a pretty anemic TSX, it will feel around the same. Also the IS and your TSX have the same dimensions so it will feel more at "home" for you. You get Lexus reliability, panache, dealer service and now available "F-sport" parts. It has the best interior IMO of the 3.

The TL is an ugly, disgusting, unadvanced blog of a megatron turd. It has an old 5 speed auto and the oldest engine so its slower than the G37 but faster than the IS. The car is also huge, at 194 inches long and 74 inches wide, they don't want you to miss all that ugly. The interior though is the usual Acura nice and it has nice features. This is a car for an owner to like, as no one else likes it.

I also recommend looking at the 2.0 A4 AWD as reliability has gotten a lot better and the size is between the IS and G37.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-09, 08:02 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Not one of the choices but yeah I would pick an A4 over all of them. Looks good, nice interior, improved reliability and fairly bigger than the IS like 1SICK said plus quattro is one of the best AWD systems out there.
Otherwise it would be a difficult choice between the G37x and the IS, mainly because I think the G37 sedan is ugly, not as much as the TL, but ugly enough to make me consider sacrificing 100hp and some size for the 250. I'd definitely take the coupe over the IS though.
Old 05-23-09, 09:07 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I'd go with the G
Old 05-23-09, 09:12 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Female here...and I do know how to drive...my 2006 AWD GS is great in the snow. Midwest is famous for their snow and ice and this car handles well. It depends on the driver. I drive over 50 miles a day to work and it was awesome in the snow. Stick with LEXUS!

Hey Everyone,

First time Lexus newbie here. I would really appreciate some opinions. Current driver is an auto 2005 Acura TSX. Very reliable car, but I'm looking for an AWD sedan that does well in the snowy hills and backroads.

So my current choices are the IS250 AWD, G37X, or TL-AWD. Which ones would you guys pick?

I give the highest priority to reliability, safety, AWD snow performance, and lastly overall performance. My original wishes were to get a manual AWD sedan, but am finding it difficult to find (the 328xi or 335xi was a possibility, but I crossed them out due to reliability issues and $$).

The IS350 would have been great, but no AWD.

Would you guys/gals say the IS has the best reliability of the 4 mentioned? Some people here on this forum have mentioned some problems with their G?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....
Old 05-23-09, 09:18 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Old person meaning, men, right?
Me, female=older=love driving fast. Use fast lane, always. I get around young people driving slow in the fast lane.

Originally Posted by lamar411
i would chose comfort/refinement over power but thats me.. Here in chicago you cant really use all the power. It either snowing or theres some old person driving in the fast lane.
Old 05-23-09, 10:18 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
-snip- how about the audi a4 2.0/3.2 quattro? -snip-
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
-snip- I also recommend looking at the 2.0 A4 AWD as reliability has gotten a lot better and the size is between the IS and G37. -snip-
great minds think alike.
Old 05-24-09, 01:49 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Thanks for the responses everybody. After months of agonizing research and numerous test drives, I finally traded my 05 TSX for a 2009 IS250 AWD yesterday!

It eventually came out to a final race between the IS and the G37x, but the IS' interior creature comforts, super comfy front seats, quiet cabin, and smooth power train and ride won (my wife and) me over. The G37x definitely had more power, but the seats were just not as supportive for the lower back, and I felt the G was just not as refined as the Lexus. As a daily commuter, my old TSX was just killing my back and legs; the seats were horrendous, had no support and was eventually causing my shoulders and lower body to ache. The G reminded me of the TSX in those regards. My daily job already kills my back as is, and my final decision boiled down to comfort over performance. I figure I would eventually get a manual sports car later on, and that car (ie. Porsche ) can serve my power and stick shift needs.

I'll post pics later on if anyone's interested. I look forward to being a regular member on this forum!
Old 05-24-09, 08:21 AM
dayrinni
Rookie

Thanks for the responses everybody. After months of agonizing research and numerous test drives, I finally traded my 05 TSX for a 2009 IS250 AWD yesterday!

It eventually came out to a final race between the IS and the G37x, but the IS' interior creature comforts, super comfy front seats, quiet cabin, and smooth power train and ride won (my wife and) me over. The G37x definitely had more power, but the seats were just not as supportive for the lower back, and I felt the G was just not as refined as the Lexus. As a daily commuter, my old TSX was just killing my back and legs; the seats were horrendous, had no support and was eventually causing my shoulders and lower body to ache. The G reminded me of the TSX in those regards. My daily job already kills my back as is, and my final decision boiled down to comfort over performance. I figure I would eventually get a manual sports car later on, and that car (ie. Porsche ) can serve my power and stick shift needs.

I'll post pics later on if anyone's interested. I look forward to being a regular member on this forum!
Congratulations!! The first thing I noticed when I did my test drive was how comfortable the seats were. I told the sales woman that I could buy the car right then based solely on the seats lol.

Good luck with your new car!
Old 05-24-09, 07:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by projectdna
great minds think alike.

Great write up and thanks for keeping us updated. Congrats!!