IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Opinions please, IS250 AWD, G37X, or TL-AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 10:07 PM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Opinions please, IS250 AWD, G37X, or TL-AWD?

Hey Everyone,

First time Lexus newbie here. I would really appreciate some opinions. Current driver is an auto 2005 Acura TSX. Very reliable car, but I'm looking for an AWD sedan that does well in the snowy hills and backroads.

So my current choices are the IS250 AWD, G37X, or TL-AWD. Which ones would you guys pick?

I give the highest priority to reliability, safety, AWD snow performance, and lastly overall performance. My original wishes were to get a manual AWD sedan, but am finding it difficult to find (the 328xi or 335xi was a possibility, but I crossed them out due to reliability issues and $$).

The IS350 would have been great, but no AWD.

Would you guys/gals say the IS has the best reliability of the 4 mentioned? Some people here on this forum have mentioned some problems with their G?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....
Old 05-22-09, 10:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

The new TL looks like a rear-ended robotic anteater. Please help beautiful American roads and leave it languishing on a dealer lot.
Old 05-22-09, 11:08 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^in person it actually looks pretty nice...........
Old 05-22-09, 11:29 PM
joshuajj
Driver

Go with the one that looks and drives best. I personally would go with the G37...IS250 AWD is pretty slow and the TL looks pretty fugly to me...but again it boils down to personal preference.
Old 05-22-09, 11:56 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

My order:

1: G37X
2: IS250 AWD
And not even on my list: TL (god the new TL is hideous)
Old 05-23-09, 12:57 AM
stooky
Pole Position

G37, IS250 is a bit underpowered imo c(:
Old 05-23-09, 01:00 AM
i2IS
Pole Position

test drive all of them + "feel" n compare the interior.
Persoanlly I'd go with g37 then IS250. Won't even consider TL
Old 05-23-09, 01:41 AM
gemini1
FNM President

Well, I would go with IS250 Over the TL. Get what you can afford.
You can't go wrong with a Lexus. Your the one's thats gonna drive it.
And, remember your asking for our opinion's on a Club Lexus website.
So, there's gonna be bias...LOL.. GoodLuck...
Old 05-23-09, 03:58 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
Hey Everyone,

First time Lexus newbie here. I would really appreciate some opinions. Current driver is an auto 2005 Acura TSX. Very reliable car, but I'm looking for an AWD sedan that does well in the snowy hills and backroads.

So my current choices are the IS250 AWD, G37X, or TL-AWD. Which ones would you guys pick?

I give the highest priority to reliability, safety, AWD snow performance, and lastly overall performance. My original wishes were to get a manual AWD sedan, but am finding it difficult to find (the 328xi or 335xi was a possibility, but I crossed them out due to reliability issues and $$).

The IS350 would have been great, but no AWD.

Would you guys/gals say the IS has the best reliability of the 4 mentioned? Some people here on this forum have mentioned some problems with their G?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....
(bolded for emphasis)

all three cars are more or less equally reliable in their first few years of service. they're also quite safe by today's standards. obviously the g37x and the SH-AWD TL have more horsepower than the is250 AWD, but certain aesthetic elements of those two cars are not that desirable.

not to throw a monkey wrench into your decision process, but since you've crossed off the 328xi/335xi, how about the audi a4 2.0/3.2 quattro? or the subaru legacy? both cars have legendary all-wheel-drive capabilities, whereas the SH-AWD on the TL and the AWD system on the G37x are, well, newer.
Old 05-23-09, 05:59 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by projectdna
(bolded for emphasis)

all three cars are more or less equally reliable in their first few years of service. they're also quite safe by today's standards. obviously the g37x and the SH-AWD TL have more horsepower than the is250 AWD, but certain aesthetic elements of those two cars are not that desirable.

not to throw a monkey wrench into your decision process, but since you've crossed off the 328xi/335xi, how about the audi a4 2.0/3.2 quattro? or the subaru legacy? both cars have legendary all-wheel-drive capabilities, whereas the SH-AWD on the TL and the AWD system on the G37x are, well, newer.
Thanks for the responses everyone. Definitely aware of possible biases here on this particular forum

I've considered Audi, but like BMW, not the most reliable out there. The Subaru Impreza WRX is on my list, but recent reports of engine build/failure problems have left many owners angry and irate; whether that's indicative of the entire line is unknown, but is leaving me suspicious and shaking my head at Subaru's denial and horrendous customer service. So the Subie is an unknown right now; on paper, it sounded good and was my first choice...
Old 05-23-09, 06:09 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by stooky
G37, IS250 is a bit underpowered imo c(:
Ay, my though as well.

My initial impressions of each:

1) IS250 AWD
-Best looking and aesthetics IMHO one by far
-Very quiet and lush cabin
-comfy front seats, esp with the air vents
-Most reliable
-"Lexus wow factor" if that means anything
-Underpowered
-rear head room snug, but since only my wife and toddler with a car seat would be back there, shouldn't be a problem
-My wife's favorite, as she has a RX330

2) G37x
-Powerful and sporty, the sportiest of the 3 IMO
-Bland exterior asethetics IMHO
-Nice 7sp auto
-Seats okay, but not as comfy as the IS

3) TL w/AWD
-Questionable asethetics
-New TL has become very bloated, ugh...
-Comfy and nice interior with nice tech package
-Acura is coming out with a slick 6sp manual later this year

Lexus seems very willing to deal to clear space for the IS C.
What do you guys think is a good deal on the IS, for arguments sake?
Old 05-23-09, 07:39 AM
9relude8
Pole Position

I see that you considered bmw but have you thought about a audi A4 quattro? I used to own one before my gf totaled it... it was a great car ! The new A4's have a killer look to them and a excellent interior.
Old 05-23-09, 09:13 AM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about LAN Evo MR? Cause if I were to drive in snow I would get the MR.
Old 05-23-09, 09:38 AM
dayrinni
Rookie

I drive a 2008 IS250 AWD and live in upstate NY. So you can probably guess I've driven through a fair share of snow during my life time. The IS250 handled great and I had no issues at all compared to other cars I owned. I'm a real big fan of the seats as I have pinched nerves in my back and with previous cars I had back issues after driving for long distances. Not with this car. I also wanted reliability so it was really a no brainer to choose Lexus. Of course, it is "underpowered" compared to the other models in the IS line, but I'm fine with that. I'm not a super aggressive driver.
Old 05-23-09, 09:48 AM
IceZ
Pole Position

Went thru this same question last year at about this same time....the IS was more of a total package where the other cars just had one single wow item.

The IS was perfect for the chicago winter, the AWD was nice to have. Although it may be underpowered it still moves pretty well for an AWD car.

Quick Reply: Opinions please, IS250 AWD, G37X, or TL-AWD?