IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Someone give me a good reason not to get a used IS250

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 08:05 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by linh811
I don't care how "nice" the 250 looks. The IS is "supposedly" Lexus' "sportiest" model, it's a disgrace and embarassment that they produced the IS250 which can be outrun by V6 avalons and camry's..... I don't get buying a "sports sedan" that can be outrun by soccer mom avalons and camrys.... To me, a 250 is like a big fat TYPE R sticker..... basically a poser car....

This has nothing to do with 350 owners wanting the ISF. The 350 has enough power to outrun avalons, camrys, accords, and altimas..... thats the natural order of things...

There are like a million posts on here every day about "how can I make my 250 faster." People by 250s, then drop another $1k intake and exhausts for like ~10whp, when they could've gotten 100 FACTORY hp for ~$4K.
The v6 Camry is also equal to or can out run a 328i, C300, and A4 2.0T
Old 06-17-09, 11:21 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i think some people are missing the point that most ppl dont buy cars to "race", im pretty sure most ppl that buy the 250 are aware of its amount of power, and those ppl that were refered to as wanting to know how to make their 250 faster are most likely kids that were fortunate enough to get the 250 as a gift from their parents, and theres the topic of comparing the IS250 to cars like carolas, civics, and accords yes they may be faster in a race but im pretty sure when put side by side the IS250 would have a higher "status" than them....
Old 06-17-09, 11:38 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reasons not to get an IS 250:

"Lackluster power plant"

"Unfortunately, driving the IS 250 is something of a letdown from the enthusiast's perspective. The 2.5-liter V6 seems rather crude and underpowered compared with the BMW 328i's silky smooth 3.0-liter inline-6"

". The manual transmission extracts maximum performance from the 2.5-liter V6 engine, but the IS 250 isn't quick by any stretch of the imagination"

"Moreover, the manual shifter itself is decidedly subpar, with excessive lateral spacing between the gear slots and an unpleasantly notchy feel. On the bright side, the IS 250 rides comfortably and the plush cabin is a peaceful place in which to while away the rush hour."

Reasons to get the IS 350:

"In life, there are when you want to cut loose and make like the proverbial “bat out of hell.” For me, these times coincide with gaps in congested Los Angeles freeway traffic. When a hole opens up, I want to accelerate immediately, with torque, without waiting for a turbo to build boost. I can unequivocally say that the 2009 IS350 delivers torque in spades. With it’s 4.08 to 1 rear differential ratio, it feels stronger than its 277 ft-lbs suggests."

"Great “real world” acceleration due to immediately available 277 ft-lbs of torque"

"The IS 250 has a standard 6-speed manual gearbox with an optional 6-speed automatic with paddle-shifters. The automatic is standard on the IS 250 AWD model and on the IS 350. The IS 350 has particularly strong acceleration and will scoot to 60 mph in only 5.3 seconds. "

"Lexus IS 350 Strengths
Terrific overall performance; plenty of luxury features and high-tech options; attractive styling; standard safety features"
Old 06-17-09, 03:17 PM
eternal07
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by albert_23
the 250 & 350 is same in all ways except for the engine. they are all reliable and there shouldn't be any problems with the machines. maintenance costs (service costs) is the same as the 350. the only thing i hate about the 250 is the power. it's much slower compared to the 350. nav/prem/lux package is definitely a plus point, but i do take the not loaded 350 anytime over the 250. for the HID's, you can always install an aftermarket. you should test drive both and see if you need that extra power. GL with your purchase!
Not really...
IS350 has different gear ratio. shorter gear ratio on 1234.
Brakes are different too. You get 4 piston brakes for 350 with larger rotors.
Larger rotors will cost more.
Steering wheel feels different. 350 has heavier feel.

for eveyday street use, 250 suits better
for back road, highway 350 is a lot better
Old 06-18-09, 12:03 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More reasons to get the IS 350:

Road and track review of it:

"When driving the Lexus IS 350, it’s easy to forget that it’s a sedan. Virtually everything about the car, aside from its looks, says “sports car.” It all starts when you push the engine start button. The VVT-i-equipped 3.5-liter V-6 comes to life with a ferocious growl, and you won’t be able to resist giving the throttle pedal a few extra taps just to hear the throaty exhaust note again. Then it’s off to the races. Punch the throttle and every bit of the engine’s 306 bhp and 277 lb.-ft. of torque is transferred to the rear wheels via a smooth-shifting 6-speed automatic transmission.
The Bridgestone Potenza RE050 tires grab hold immediately, and the IS 350 leaps off the line. For our best acceleration runs, we left the transmission in full auto mode, letting the computer perform the upshifts, which it did quickly and smoothly at or near the 6600-rpm redline. The Lexus blasted to 60 mph in 4.9 sec. and to the quarter-mile mark at a blistering 13.5, which bests even the more expensive V-8-powered Audi S4.

“What a great engine. It’s silky-smooth, quiet, but really potent. It’s hard to believe that the Lexus and Infiniti have the same horsepower with roughly the same curb weight. The IS feels that much quicker,” Hall noted.

On meandering roads, the IS 350 becomes a weapon, as the car’s agile nature comes to the fore. The steering is super quick, and when combined with a rigid body structure and optional sport suspension, turn-in response is good. The transmission’s manual mode works well, allowing the driver to change gears with paddles behind the steering wheel, à la Formula 1. Although not as fast as manual-based transmissions like BMW’s SMG and Audi’s DSG, gear changes were quick and precise. The IS 350 exhibits razor-sharp reflexes through left/right transitions, as evidenced by its 66.7-mph slalom run, but through tight turns, the Lexus has an overwhelming tendency to understeer. In fact, it’s a task getting the rear end out, even with traction and yaw control switched off. Its overanxious penchant for going straight showed in the IS 350’s skidpad performance, as it registered a mediocre 0.84g.

“The IS 350 handles relatively well for a sports sedan, but has a noticeably safe setup, as it understeers when pushed to its limits. That isn’t to say that it won’t oversteer, especially with the stability control completely turned off. It just has to be deliberately induced,” Elfalan noted.

The shock and spring rates of the sport suspension are significantly firmer than on the base setup, so ride quality tends to be choppy over rough surfaces. The suspension system is similar to that of the Acura and Infiniti — upper and lower A-arms up front and multilink at the rear.

Interior space is also at a premium in the IS. Those taller than 6 ft. will lack knee room in the rear seat, especially if another 6-footer sits in front, and although there’s enough width for two adults back there, don’t ask three to share that space. The base price of the IS 350 is rather reasonable at $35,705, but our test car came equipped with the sport suspension and navigation packages that brought the grand total to $43,980. But even with the highest price tag in the group, the Lexus IS 350 had no problem winning this contest. It’s that good of a car.

Conclusion
Although you wouldn’t know it by looking at the ratings chart, this was one of the most closely contested battles in recent memory. One small variation here or there could easily have swung the result in a different direction. For example, what if our G35 Sport was equipped with an automatic transmission? What if our driving route consisted of more stretches of Interstate than twisting roads? The answer to these questions will be found on another day, but for now, the Lexus IS 350 is the king of the Japanese sports-sedan hill. But most important of all, these three sedans surpassed our expectations in performance and touring, and have earned the right to shed the “near luxury” moniker. After an extended stint in any one of these cars, “near nirvana” becomes a more apt descriptor."

Need more be said?
Old 06-18-09, 12:10 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
More reasons to get the IS 350:

Road and track review of it:

"When driving the Lexus IS 350, it’s easy to forget that it’s a sedan. Virtually everything about the car, aside from its looks, says “sports car.” It all starts when you push the engine start button. The VVT-i-equipped 3.5-liter V-6 comes to life with a ferocious growl, and you won’t be able to resist giving the throttle pedal a few extra taps just to hear the throaty exhaust note again. Then it’s off to the races. Punch the throttle and every bit of the engine’s 306 bhp and 277 lb.-ft. of torque is transferred to the rear wheels via a smooth-shifting 6-speed automatic transmission.
The Bridgestone Potenza RE050 tires grab hold immediately, and the IS 350 leaps off the line. For our best acceleration runs, we left the transmission in full auto mode, letting the computer perform the upshifts, which it did quickly and smoothly at or near the 6600-rpm redline. The Lexus blasted to 60 mph in 4.9 sec. and to the quarter-mile mark at a blistering 13.5, which bests even the more expensive V-8-powered Audi S4.

“What a great engine. It’s silky-smooth, quiet, but really potent. It’s hard to believe that the Lexus and Infiniti have the same horsepower with roughly the same curb weight. The IS feels that much quicker,” Hall noted.

On meandering roads, the IS 350 becomes a weapon, as the car’s agile nature comes to the fore. The steering is super quick, and when combined with a rigid body structure and optional sport suspension, turn-in response is good. The transmission’s manual mode works well, allowing the driver to change gears with paddles behind the steering wheel, à la Formula 1. Although not as fast as manual-based transmissions like BMW’s SMG and Audi’s DSG, gear changes were quick and precise. The IS 350 exhibits razor-sharp reflexes through left/right transitions, as evidenced by its 66.7-mph slalom run, but through tight turns, the Lexus has an overwhelming tendency to understeer. In fact, it’s a task getting the rear end out, even with traction and yaw control switched off. Its overanxious penchant for going straight showed in the IS 350’s skidpad performance, as it registered a mediocre 0.84g.

“The IS 350 handles relatively well for a sports sedan, but has a noticeably safe setup, as it understeers when pushed to its limits. That isn’t to say that it won’t oversteer, especially with the stability control completely turned off. It just has to be deliberately induced,” Elfalan noted.

The shock and spring rates of the sport suspension are significantly firmer than on the base setup, so ride quality tends to be choppy over rough surfaces. The suspension system is similar to that of the Acura and Infiniti — upper and lower A-arms up front and multilink at the rear.

Interior space is also at a premium in the IS. Those taller than 6 ft. will lack knee room in the rear seat, especially if another 6-footer sits in front, and although there’s enough width for two adults back there, don’t ask three to share that space. The base price of the IS 350 is rather reasonable at $35,705, but our test car came equipped with the sport suspension and navigation packages that brought the grand total to $43,980. But even with the highest price tag in the group, the Lexus IS 350 had no problem winning this contest. It’s that good of a car.

Conclusion
Although you wouldn’t know it by looking at the ratings chart, this was one of the most closely contested battles in recent memory. One small variation here or there could easily have swung the result in a different direction. For example, what if our G35 Sport was equipped with an automatic transmission? What if our driving route consisted of more stretches of Interstate than twisting roads? The answer to these questions will be found on another day, but for now, the Lexus IS 350 is the king of the Japanese sports-sedan hill. But most important of all, these three sedans surpassed our expectations in performance and touring, and have earned the right to shed the “near luxury” moniker. After an extended stint in any one of these cars, “near nirvana” becomes a more apt descriptor."

Need more be said?
That's one of the most positive reviews of the IS I've ever read. Most all other reviews put it midpack and complain about its isolated from the road ride. I guess the sport suspension makes all the difference.
Old 06-18-09, 02:39 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by eternal07
for eveyday street use, 250 suits better
for back road, highway 350 is a lot better
i drive my is350 on a daily basis. how is it NOT better than the is250 for everyday use?
Old 06-18-09, 10:49 AM
Dogmeat
Driver

i sometimes wish i had more power, but my current driving of around 30k miles a year in LA traffic made me opt for the 250. if you drive 15k a year get a 350 for sure! get a 350 if you drive more and don't' care about gas money! :P
Old 06-18-09, 10:49 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by projectdna
i drive my is350 on a daily basis. how is it NOT better than the is250 for everyday use?
+1.. it is a very good daily drive car but not better than 335
Old 06-18-09, 12:31 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Phiber
+1.. it is a very good daily drive car but not better than 335
Sure it is... a car that isn't in the shop half the time is by definition a better daily driver
Old 06-18-09, 01:03 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This reminds me of a thread I started a little while back titled:

"What if you could over from scratch again? I got the chance to - My story & 2nd ISx50"

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...2nd-isx50.html

After reading it you'll know how I feel about this topic

Last edited by mdgrwl; 06-18-09 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-18-09, 01:39 PM
Feirax
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That's one of the most positive reviews of the IS I've ever read. Most all other reviews put it midpack and complain about its isolated from the road ride. I guess the sport suspension makes all the difference.
That review is what pushed me over the edge on the IS. However, reading it again I'm surprised at the "ferocious growl" and "throaty" references. Maybe their test car was equipped with the Lexus HKS exhaust? I didn't see it in the option list, but stock I wouldn't describe the IS as anything but whisper quiet.

Also, the review makes no mention of feedback/feel, which is where the IS seems to always lose out in more performance oriented reviews. For me I feel like the IS is a very capable sporting car if you can learn to trust it, but feedback is definitely muted.