IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Questions about options

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 06:55 AM
kur1j
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about options

On the Lexus website it shows the following.

Voice-activated DVD Navigation System with backup camera and Bluetooth®Technology with Additional Options that it also adds
- Bi-Xenon™ High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
- Premium Package
- 18-in alloy wheels with summer tires

So does this mean that if I want the Navigation system I am going to get the Premium Package no matter what? Do I have even have a choice?

If that is the case, could I just buy a Base model and have the dealer put on the stock Navigation system only?

Old 06-07-09, 07:19 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You will have a hard time finding a Nav car without at least the Premium Package (ventilated seats and wood trim). It's only $840 additional. A dealer can't/won't install the Nav system. Forget about that option.
Old 06-07-09, 08:26 AM
kur1j
Rookie

I am assuming that Nav + Premium is a pretty common setup? Will it be hard to find one with this setup?

I am seeing

2150 Invoice for the Nav
756 Invoice for the Premium Package

36859 for the whole thing Invoice price.

according to Edmunds 37552 TMV.

To me the 37552 TMV = OTD.

Is that a fair assumption? Or am I just bull ****ting my self?

Something else I could also beat around the bush with is window tinting. How much does that usually cost?
Old 06-07-09, 08:42 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Go to the Lexus website, choose, "Build your IS", and then supply your zip code. The site will show a small selection of option configurations; these are the dealer allocations for your geographic area, i.e., the ones you are going to find on dealer lots in your region.
Old 06-07-09, 12:45 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you DON'T want the premium? I think they build them that way because most people want those options.
Old 06-07-09, 12:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by kur1j
I am assuming that Nav + Premium is a pretty common setup? Will it be hard to find one with this setup?

I am seeing

2150 Invoice for the Nav
756 Invoice for the Premium Package

36859 for the whole thing Invoice price.

according to Edmunds 37552 TMV.

To me the 37552 TMV = OTD.

Is that a fair assumption? Or am I just bull ****ting my self?

Something else I could also beat around the bush with is window tinting. How much does that usually cost?

Never go by TMV. It's never been accurate for the years it's existed. Go to Edmunds Town Square, look up the section on recent IS sales, and see what people in your region are getting them for. Then shoot a little below that.
Old 06-07-09, 01:42 PM
kur1j
Rookie

Originally Posted by tex2670
you DON'T want the premium? I think they build them that way because most people want those options.
Well the heated seats, wood trim, perforated leather seats I can deal with paying 700ish dollars for. But I do NOT want to pay nor do I want the 18" wheels, High-Intensity Discharge Headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting System. If they give me the front lighting and the High-Intensity headlamps sure but the 18" wheels I do not want if they give them to me.

Does someone have side by side pictures of the 17" wheels and the 18" wheels? Design wise they are the same right? Except 1 inch larger of course.

Last edited by kur1j; 06-07-09 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-07-09, 01:52 PM
kur1j
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Never go by TMV. It's never been accurate for the years it's existed. Go to Edmunds Town Square, look up the section on recent IS sales, and see what people in your region are getting them for. Then shoot a little below that.
do you mean townhall talk?

Also in general is the TMV usually higher or lower than what people are actually paying?

Last edited by kur1j; 06-07-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-07-09, 04:51 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the heated seats, wood trim, perforated leather seats I can deal with paying 700ish dollars for. But I do NOT want to pay nor do I want the 18" wheels, High-Intensity Discharge Headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting System. If they give me the front lighting and the High-Intensity headlamps sure but the 18" wheels I do not want if they give them to me.

Does someone have side by side pictures of the 17" wheels and the 18" wheels? Design wise they are the same right? Except 1 inch larger of course.
You probably won't find an IS with 17" wheels. They just aren't ordered that way by the dealers. And most will have the HID's and AFS. If you are looking for a box stock Lexus IS, good luck. I've seen mighty few on dealer lots like that, mainly because people like the basic options high the ventilated seats, 18" wheels, and HID's. You definitely won't find a stripped down IS with Navigation. The 17" wheels are sightly differrent looking.
Old 06-07-09, 06:06 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You can always special order -exactly- the car you want with -exactly- the options you want... assuming you find a dealer who isn't an idiot you'll get it for a good price too since they're getting a guaranteed sale just for doing a little paperwork.

But finding one just sitting on the lot with nav but 17 wheels and no other options? probably not gonna happen.
Old 06-07-09, 07:26 PM
kur1j
Rookie

Originally Posted by Evitzee
You probably won't find an IS with 17" wheels. They just aren't ordered that way by the dealers. And most will have the HID's and AFS. If you are looking for a box stock Lexus IS, good luck. I've seen mighty few on dealer lots like that, mainly because people like the basic options high the ventilated seats, 18" wheels, and HID's. You definitely won't find a stripped down IS with Navigation. The 17" wheels are sightly differrent looking.
Good to know.

Is it just me or did the 08's not have the 18" wheel option? I several 08's on the market that are basically fully loaded but still have 17" wheels. Was this option added when the 09's come out?

As for the looks you wouldn't happen to have a link to a picture of the 17" and the 18" wheels? I cannot for the life of me find one on google.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You can always special order -exactly- the car you want with -exactly- the options you want... assuming you find a dealer who isn't an idiot you'll get it for a good price too since they're getting a guaranteed sale just for doing a little paperwork.

But finding one just sitting on the lot with nav but 17 wheels and no other options? probably not gonna happen.
This is great news. How long does it usually (should it) take?
Old 06-07-09, 08:10 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good to know.

Is it just me or did the 08's not have the 18" wheel option? I several 08's on the market that are basically fully loaded but still have 17" wheels. Was this option added when the 09's come out?

As for the looks you wouldn't happen to have a link to a picture of the 17" and the 18" wheels? I cannot for the life of me find one on google.

This is great news. How long does it usually (should it) take?
Special order, done properly, should be 2.5-3.5 months depending when you place the order

18s have been available since the car was introduced...generally AWDs are the only cars you see with 17s in the US... (I believe they show up more commonly on Canadian cars)
Old 06-08-09, 04:54 AM
kur1j
Rookie

Well for example this 08 looks pretty much loaded and it says nothing about 18" wheels so I assume it is 17".

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

same goes for this one

Are both of them 18" wheels and they just didn't list them or what?

I wish I knew for sure just by the look of them but I can't seem to tell.
Old 06-08-09, 04:57 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Well for example this 08 looks pretty much loaded and it says nothing about 18" wheels so I assume it is 17".

same goes for this one

Are both of them 18" wheels and they just didn't list them or what?

I wish I knew for sure just by the look of them but I can't seem to tell.
Both of those are the 18" wheels. It's easy to tell them apart both by the style and by how they fill the wheel well. Compare to this IS250 AWD with 17": http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
Old 06-08-09, 05:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll need to special order a car if you want it that way.

Quick Reply: Questions about options