IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Steering rack replacement: Really needed ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 08:39 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering rack replacement: Really needed ?

"9LC Certain 2007 GS 450h, 2006 2007 GS, IS and RX 400h vehicles to replace the electric power steering link (EPS) assembly. Certain vehicles may experience a noticeable gradual increase in the steering effort necessary at low speeds when turning the steering wheel to the complete left or right position. "

I have seen the letters from Lexus. I have been called by dealer that I originally ordered my IS350 back in October 2005, over and over again saying I need to get these service campaigns done. They have convinced me that the fuel rail should be replaced and if the want to grease the caliper sliders on the rear brakes, well, I would feel better doing it myself, but I may let them do that.

But c'mon, replacing a steering rack that isn't giving me any trouble? I can't see that. Car drives perfect for me. I have come to appreciate the twitchy-ness on the interstate. The sound of Dunlops singing(roaring) to me rolling down the highway. (new tires coming soon to the front)
Its the IS personality.

I have told the dealer that I do not want the steering rack replaced. That the car drives fine. Its not broke! All the service advisors (drones) reply with is that it is required by the NTSB. (I think they meant NHTSA). That reason gets me everytime they bring it up.

I have put them off since march. They keep calling. Say they will Valet it from VA to NC for the repairs. That ain't happening. Last time I asked to speak to the service manager. I told him if he wants to fix something then fix the (blank)paint! Three year old car and the roof and hood are etched badly from acid rain. never been driven in the snow. Conversation ended quite abruptly.

Its been quiet for a couple weeks now, since my wife answered the phone told them if they want to replace the rack, then Lexus can buy the car back and replace it. That phone call ended abruptly.

May call Hendrick in Charlotte and see if they will do just two of the recalls (service campaigns) and leave the steering rack alone.

Anyhoo, If it isn't broke, don't fix it. I really don't want to mess up a perfectly good car. Anyone else debating on whether having the steering rack replaced?
Thanks for listening
Old 06-07-09, 09:01 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

You haven't had the issue because the problem lies in a scenario where while turning and receiving a significant impact, there's a short period where you wouldn't be able to countersteer. It's good that you haven't had an issue (which means you haven't had a significant impact), but you really should have the campaign service done - it's a safety issue.

Javier
Old 06-08-09, 05:05 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Thanks Javier , I have always respected yours, Lobuxracer, & Daves advice.
It has a good heavy feeling in the steering, not numb, and I just hate to mess it up.
I will have to think about it I guess.
Thanks
Old 06-08-09, 11:39 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been putting it off for a while also. I dread having to take my baby to the dealer, and leave it with the n000bs at the counter.

They don't care if your car is fixed up, they don't care if they forget to put a bolt back in, **** they just want to get your car in and out (just another number). The stories I have heard leave me with nightmares of my car at the stealership

Think Verizon wireless "DEAD zone" commercials, rofl!
Old 07-15-09, 05:51 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any1 done it and had a different feel?
Old 07-15-09, 08:45 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

i dont' get why you just don't do it? i would of by now, just get it done.

here's what you do, bargin with them, tell them you'll bring it in and get it done if you can have an IS-F as a loaner for the day.
Old 07-15-09, 03:53 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

IMO, Lexus wouldn't go off and drop all the $$ needed for the replacement of the steering rack if it wasn't an issue. Therefore, I had no issue bringing it to them for the fix.

I hate others tinkering with my car as well, but I figure if they say it needs to be replaced, they are the experts.
Old 07-17-09, 08:55 AM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
any1 done it and had a different feel?
I had it done on my 06 AWD. After I picked it up, I noticed a grinding noise that I could both hear and feel in the steering wheel at low speeds. I took it back and the dealer said that the steering linkage rods were bent, possibly because I hit a big hole (which I did not do). Anyway, they gave me a loaner and repaired it with no questions asked. Drives fine now.
Old 07-17-09, 10:33 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had it done to my 06 IS350, and it feels tighter to me. It's a positive improvement, especially on the highway (less skittish).
Old 07-17-09, 11:49 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dangy called me last night asking me why his car didnt want to turn right when he pulled into a local popular car hang out...

Get it done and this wont happen to you LMAO