IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Static and "lines" on nav screen with ps2 hooked up

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 12:24 PM
hottschott
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Static and "lines" on nav screen with ps2 hooked up

I hooked up my ps2 to my nav screen with the navtool interface. I bought a 12v dc adapter for my slim ps2. Whenever its plugged in, I get these oscillating lines that are synced with whatever rpms my engine is at. I push the pedal down and the lines start scrolling faster. I also get a whining noise and static too. What did I do wrong? Do I need to ground the dc adapter somehow? Is it electromagnetic interference from the enging/altenator? Do I need to get a "noise filter"? Would I be better off going with a power inverter and plugging in the ac adapter instead? Thanks for help.
Old 06-09-09, 12:25 PM
hottschott
Rookie

also-

When I hook my psp up to the screen, it works beautifully. So I know its not the navtool.
Old 06-09-09, 12:32 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Go to radio shack, bestbuy, or walmart. Find a shorter RCA cable. Best if you have 1 or 3 feet. Should get rid of the problem.
Old 06-09-09, 12:56 PM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The noise is coming from the engine via the power adapter. It's kinda like when you have your iphone/ipod hooked up to the aux line along with the power adapter to charge it. You can hear some engine noise but if you unplug the power charger from the iphone/ipod the engine noise goes away. Maybe an inline noise filter of some sort will help? Or get your power from a fuse box or some other source other than the cigarette lighter.
Old 06-09-09, 01:01 PM
hottschott
Rookie

Originally Posted by twixx007
The noise is coming from the engine via the power adapter. It's kinda like when you have your iphone/ipod hooked up to the aux line along with the power adapter to charge it. You can hear some engine noise but if you unplug the power charger from the iphone/ipod the engine noise goes away. Maybe an inline noise filter of some sort will help? Or get your power from a fuse box or some other source other than the cigarette lighter.
Yeah exactly. I guess ill try the filter first, but I have read that its basically just putting a band aid on it and not really resolving the underlying issue. I dont like doing things half-assed....
Old 06-09-09, 04:14 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

totally ignored my comment..

I have the nav tool with DVD player tapped into cigarette lighter. Just get a high budget 1 foot cable and it will solve the problem. I bought mines here,
www.monoprice.com
Old 06-09-09, 06:59 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

You have an '06, right? A ground loop isolator will likely fix your problem, but you don't need to pay for it. Just bring your car to the dealer, show them the problem, and ask them to perform TSIB AU001-07. Copy of PDF here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...noise-tsib.pdf
Old 06-09-09, 08:50 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

i bought an inline RCA filter for the sound. The lines in the picture you have to live with...its the interference due to the power inverter. battery inputs won't cause the interference
Old 06-10-09, 10:52 AM
hottschott
Rookie

Originally Posted by Phiber

I have the nav tool with DVD player tapped into cigarette lighter. Just get a high budget 1 foot cable and it will solve the problem. I bought mines here,
www.monoprice.com
Phiber-

How can it be the rca cables, when I tested my psp with a dc inverter plugged into the same input as the ps2 was, with no lines, nor static? I apologize for ignoring your comment, it just didnt seem likely. I appreciate the input. =)
Old 06-10-09, 10:57 AM
hottschott
Rookie

Originally Posted by Phiber

www.monoprice.com
Originally Posted by sinister2c
i bought an inline RCA filter for the sound. The lines in the picture you have to live with...its the interference due to the power inverter. battery inputs won't cause the interference
But I dont have it hooked up to an inverter? unless you mean the 12v dc that goes straight from the ps2 to the cig lighter?
Old 06-10-09, 11:00 AM
hottschott
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bichon
You have an '06, right? A ground loop isolator will likely fix your problem, but you don't need to pay for it. Just bring your car to the dealer, show them the problem, and ask them to perform TSIB AU001-07. Copy of PDF here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...noise-tsib.pdf
Looks like we have the same car =) I have tan interior though...=(

Wont they just turn me away sayings its not their problem since I installed aftermarket equip? Or is it because its an existing issue like when you have your blackberry, or ipod plugged into the 12v power and the line in aux and you get the buzzing noise? Same issue? Thank you so much for the heads up on the TSIB!
Old 06-10-09, 12:33 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by hottschott
Looks like we have the same car =) I have tan interior though...=(

Wont they just turn me away sayings its not their problem since I installed aftermarket equip? Or is it because its an existing issue like when you have your blackberry, or ipod plugged into the 12v power and the line in aux and you get the buzzing noise? Same issue? Thank you so much for the heads up on the TSIB!
White and tan is a great color combo.

I can't say how your dealership will react, some are more mod-friendly than others. But the issue with the whining noise is thoroughly documented in the TSIB and was almost certainly present before you installed the Navtool.

On the other had, it looks like the TSIB installs the noise filter back near the auxiliary jack; you need it inline with the navtool, so you'd have to move it after the dealer is done. Perhaps it might be easier to buy and install the filter yourself, either the one in the TSIB or a generic ground loop isolator like the one sinister2c recommended.

Last edited by Bichon; 06-10-09 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 12:35 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

the whining will go away if you put the $13 inline Scosche RCA filter for the sound. you are picking up the interference when the device is charging, that explains why the battery powered PSP does not do it.

I have the same issue with my Iphone hooked up to play videos, if I charge it the static lines show up, if I run battery it fine. It was worse before I put the filters in.
Old 06-10-09, 01:24 PM
tmaung
Driver

Get a different/better power inverter. RCA cable is fine. Its the video seeing static and only happens when plugged in. Maybe a better alternator (is there any?). I play videos off my iPhone with vaistech and its fine. It may be better to go the route of buying the 12v cable for ps2 instead of using a power inverter.
Old 06-10-09, 01:27 PM
hottschott
Rookie

Originally Posted by sinister2c
the whining will go away if you put the $13 inline Scosche RCA filter for the sound. you are picking up the interference when the device is charging, that explains why the battery powered PSP does not do it.
But I wasnt running it off the battery, I had the psp car charger plugged in? does it not make a difference because it still has a battery?

Quick Reply: Static and "lines" on nav screen with ps2 hooked up