IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

i want to do the retro fit for my fogs but cant find the projectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 10:25 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
yes. it will blind on coming traffic due to the angle.

if you want to retrofit it, i'd go with a HID projector.. not minibosch cuz those are H3 halogen projectors.

Yes, they are halogen projectors, but they handle HID quite well and due to their flat cutoff shield and not step cutoff shield, which it won't create glare. Unless aimed incorrectly of course.
Old 06-14-09, 10:32 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes they do.. but i don't like how you have to rig a mount for the bulb.
Old 06-14-09, 10:36 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
If you get H3C HID bulbs, you don't need to do any fabrication, and focal point is retained. More of a concern is the heat generated, which may damage the chrome due to the extremely close proximity of the bulb arc to the sides
Old 06-14-09, 10:40 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

^
Oh, and yeah you guys are right about the angling. The added angle would send the additional light from a bixenon even higher. I was busy thinking about how the light will look on a wall, but now I realize that at a certain distance, the light will travel further upward and cause tremendous glare. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, Tchan, how goes the LEDs in the fogs?
Old 06-14-09, 10:43 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELL Y
^
Oh, and yeah you guys are right about the angling. The added angle would send the additional light from a bixenon even higher. I was busy thinking about how the light will look on a wall, but now I realize that at a certain distance, the light will travel further upward and cause tremendous glare. Thanks for the clarification.

I am taking the fogs apart tomorrow and going to start on it. Already got it mapped out on what I am going to do and I tested connections and they all light up. Hopefully it won't take too long.
Old 06-14-09, 10:46 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

^

k so r the mini bosch projectors good or am i gonna have heat issue later on
and as far as wiring goes what mods do i have to do
Old 06-15-09, 07:24 AM
eskae3
Pole Position

He has them aimed up as high as his regular headlights, so the bixenon functionality can still prove useful.

In addition to being a tight fit, it is difficult to adjust such large projectors. for the sake of the function of fog lights (lighting up road edges and increasing foreground visibility), a properly aimed Bosch Mini, though inferior to a projector like the FX-R, is perfectly fine for a fog light. Remember, fog lights are not meant to supplement your vision down the road- it just often happens to be the case with HID kits which spray the light all over the place.

Not trying to rag on ya Eskae. Hell, I'm even considering using a tsx or other projector to redo the fogs, but my headlight retro is incredibly bright as it is, so I'm still deciding.

No Problem ELL Y, I readjusted the fogs to be more forward firing. I didn't go with the Headlight retro so i used the FX-R to add more light down the road.
No offense taken, you are the retrofit guru. :-)