IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tried RVinyl... Back to Aerotect Redouts! (Detailed Review)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 07:22 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tried RVinyl... Back to Aerotect Redouts! (Detailed Review)

I first have to apologize for no pictures. But then I'll have to state that pictures won't help anyway, because you just cannot see in pictures what I'm about to describe.

Here's the deal, and this may just be one of those 'you have to do it for yourself to understand'. But I feel Aerotects are better, and here's why.

RVinyl is a better color match, yes! Aerotects slightly darken the blinker portion, yes! But Aerotects are still better, and of course, in my opinion... here's why.

RVinyl does match the color better, yes, but the film itself isn't as transparent as Aerotects. The best way to describe RVinyl is 'dull' as someone else pointed out in a recent thread. I'll try to get specific. Its not a highly transparent film like Aerotech. Once you put it on, all of the little details and nuances from the blinker glass underneath get all of the sudden blurry, fogy and 'matte' looking compared to the high shine of the rest of the tail light housing. The film itself isn't as glossy and reflective as Aerotect's.

Aerotech does slightly darken (depending on the lighting, in some lighting it looks like a complete match, but in most, its ever so slightly darker). But the benefits of the Aerotech film IMO is its highly transparent and the finish itself is very glossy. RVinyls film finish is sorta flat/non-glossy. By transparent I mean, once you put it on the blinker portion, you can actually see all the little nuances through the film with great detail! It truly doesn't look like there's anything on the tail at all!

To give a fair pro's and con's. RVinyl's red is a slightly better match. From 50 feet away I'll give the prize to RVinyl. But get any closer and its VERY apparent that there's a piece of red vinyl on your tail light . The blinker portion gets duller and foggy looking ever step closer you get. I'll state this as well though, RVinyl does darken a little as well, but just a bit less then Aerotech.

On the flip side, while I had Aerotects on my car, I had a friend standing literally 5 feet away from my car, unaware that there was redouts on it and asked if he saw anything interesting on my taillight. He said no. He couldn't see anything. Hats off to Aerotech for making the film look the rest of the taillight. But yes, it does slightly darken the look a little more. Slightly.

So I just put on RVinyl because I read all these threads about how its a better match and all... so I had to try for myself. I just finished up about 15 minutes ago, and as soon as I'm done writing this post, I'm ordering Aerotects again and never switching back.

Hopefully this gives you a better idea of the difference between the two compared to pictures where you can't really see any difference in, or someone stating "RVinyl FTW" or "Aerotect look great" with no explanation or detail.
Old 06-16-09, 03:13 PM
Bodz123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review. Just an FYI to everyone out there. DONT BUY FROM MOTOGFX. They sent me a kit (which was wrong), I argued back and forth with customer service and even sent them pictures! well after 3-4 days I was told they would ship me another set out but not until I returned the first set! Total B.S. by far the worst company I have ever delt with.
Old 06-16-09, 03:15 PM
IS35O
Pole Position

I ordered Aerotech when I first got the car in '05 and they were noticeably darker, as soon as the R-Vinyl product came out I ordered those, and compared with one of each installed. The R-vinyl is a nearly perfect match, as far as a sticker is ever going to get. I waxed both tail lights after installation so they were both plenty shiny. Maybe R-Vinyl changed their supplier as I got mine atleast 2 years ago..

RVinyl FTW
Old 06-16-09, 03:27 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good review. Ive never seen aerotect, in person but you are right about rvynil being dull. i wonder which one looks better at night
Old 06-16-09, 05:09 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

err... huh? i have rvinyl and ive seen aerotech side by side... aerotech is NOT 'darker', as a matter of fact under certain lighting conditions you can see its more transparent allowing some of the orange color to bleed thru... now im not saying rvinyl is better just that my observations vs yours are different.
Old 06-16-09, 05:55 PM
kloh7
Pole Position

I've been debating back and forth on this issue many times and finally went with Aerotect, haven't put them on yet but I'm glad you had good experiences with them.
Old 06-16-09, 05:59 PM
gemini1
FNM President

IMO...Aerotect all the way.
Out off all the rvinyl that I have seen on my friends IS's
their darker than the aerotect one's..

Last edited by gemini1; 06-16-09 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-16-09, 06:10 PM
mo12hammad
Driver

MOTOGFX treated me pretty well and it came out fine to me take a look

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-16-09, 06:17 PM
mo12hammad
Driver

MOTOGFX has 100% POSITIVE feed back on my.is

check it out for yourself.

don't let one complaint get you carried away.
Old 06-16-09, 06:22 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS35O
I ordered Aerotech when I first got the car in '05 and they were noticeably darker, as soon as the R-Vinyl product came out I ordered those, and compared with one of each installed. The R-vinyl is a nearly perfect match, as far as a sticker is ever going to get. I waxed both tail lights after installation so they were both plenty shiny. Maybe R-Vinyl changed their supplier as I got mine atleast 2 years ago..

RVinyl FTW
I believe Aerotect changed their vinyl. Back in the day they were extremely dark, yes, but current film looks pretty darn good.
Old 06-16-09, 06:31 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Just a quick addition to this thread. My wife also owns an IS250awd and is pretty 'car mod savvy'.

Anyway, when she got home I showed her my IS350 and she saw the new rVinyl redouts and her words were "eww, you can really see them!". I couldn't agree more, rVinyl truly looks like a red piece of film over your tails. Aerotect's blend in and become more apart of the tail.

Here it comes...

ready...

wait for it.....

wait fooooooor it...

Aerotect's FTW!
Old 06-16-09, 07:42 PM
IS250_6Spd
Lead Lap

It was my thread that I was complaining about the "dullness" of the Rvinyl's. Maybe I put them on wrong or I had a bad set but I will see when I get some aerotects or oracle's from EvoIS.
Old 06-16-09, 10:05 PM
RSN83
Driver

I got Areotects on mine and have no complaints. . . my friends didn't notice the red outs either. . .

Nice Review!
Old 06-16-09, 10:20 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

I have Rvinyl and it is awesome.
Old 06-16-09, 10:29 PM
Rash
hmm

IS-F Tails FTW :P

Quick Reply: Tried RVinyl... Back to Aerotect Redouts! (Detailed Review)