IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to me IS350

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-09, 03:31 PM
kur1j
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to me IS350

So this is my first car I have owned my self and it is an amazing car. I LOVE it.

IS350 w/Nav and Sport Package and only 5k miles (7k now).

But it is getting dirty and being in the south we have a LOT of love bugs and I need to clean it up.

So what does everyone use to get these stupid bugs off.

I had an 04 corolla and cleaned it about once a month but I still couldn't get the bugs off of it.

I normally washed the corolla with this turtle wax "Ice car wash" and a 100% cotton cloth. I usually just let it air dry. It seemed to work just fine but I haven't been much into detailing...until now .

Is there a thread or some type of information (link) that you recommend on the stuff I should or should not use?

I would like some recommendations on the following.

type of cloth to wash with.
type of soap.
something to get bugs off that won't ruin the paint.
type of wax.
type of stuff to clean the rims.
something to make the tires shine.
something to clean the leather and interior inside with. (I have never had a leather car so I am clueless here).

I don't want to spend 3 grand on the stuff but would like some recommendations on some stuff to use that won't ruin the thing.

After I get done I will take some pictures and post them up .
Old 06-21-09, 05:57 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kur1j
So this is my first car I have owned my self and it is an amazing car. I LOVE it.

IS350 w/Nav and Sport Package and only 5k miles (7k now).

But it is getting dirty and being in the south we have a LOT of love bugs and I need to clean it up.

So what does everyone use to get these stupid bugs off.

I had an 04 corolla and cleaned it about once a month but I still couldn't get the bugs off of it.

I normally washed the corolla with this turtle wax "Ice car wash" and a 100% cotton cloth. I usually just let it air dry. It seemed to work just fine but I haven't been much into detailing...until now .

Is there a thread or some type of information (link) that you recommend on the stuff I should or should not use?

I would like some recommendations on the following.

type of cloth to wash with.
type of soap.
something to get bugs off that won't ruin the paint.
type of wax.
type of stuff to clean the rims.
something to make the tires shine.
something to clean the leather and interior inside with. (I have never had a leather car so I am clueless here).

I don't want to spend 3 grand on the stuff but would like some recommendations on some stuff to use that won't ruin the thing.

After I get done I will take some pictures and post them up .
There's a whole section on detailing... but IMHO, especially in the hot south, you don't want any wax at all, it'll just melt

Zaino is what ya want.

First time'll be a pain in the *** (relatively) after that it's pretty easy-

1) Wash car with dawn to get whatever else has been on it off.

2) Use Zaino clay bar to get all the bugs and other road junk off the paint

3) Wash with Zaino car wash

4) Polish with Z2/ZFX, wait for it to haze, remove.

4a) If you have any fine scratches or swirls in the paint do a polish with Z5/ZFX here, wait for it to haze, remove.

5) Do another coat of Z2/ZFX, wait for it to haze, remove.

Anyway, you only need to do that once generally... after that with normal driving/road conditions you can wash with Z7 once a month, and then do steps 4-5 once every 6 months.

Use only 100% cotton made in the USA towels, ideally with serged edges if you wanna be super ****.

Here's the guy I usually get my stuff from-
http://www.geocities.com/kevinoverall1/orderform2.htm

So for the above you'd need:

Z-18, Z2, ZFX, Z7, and some of those nice CDT4 and CDT2 towels he sells.

Some Z6 is nice to clean the occasional bird crap or bug guts off the car or just shine it up.

Z9/Z10'll handle the leather cleaning and conditioning...and Z-16 for the tires.

ZKIT2 has everything above except the towels in it, so adding a set each of those you might get up to $150 for everything.

But you won't need to buy anything again for probably at least 3-4 years given how little of most of it you need each application.

Oh, and by your 10k service you can get the low-dust brake pads on there, that'll drastically reduce how often the rims need cleaning too
Old 06-21-09, 06:00 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use the bugs spray thing by poorboys and the are good... you can get details in the automotive detailing section
Old 06-21-09, 06:01 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

one more thing, dont use cotton towels, use microfiber towels ONLY, NO california water blade NO shamwow NO leather chamois... ONLY microfiber towels AND inspect them throughly before each use, if you drop one use another.
Old 06-21-09, 08:06 PM
kur1j
Rookie

No cotton towels for washing or drying or both?
Old 06-21-09, 08:26 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kur1j
No cotton towels for washing or drying or both?
no cotton towels at all, EVER...
Old 06-21-09, 08:54 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
one more thing, dont use cotton towels, use microfiber towels ONLY, NO california water blade NO shamwow NO leather chamois... ONLY microfiber towels AND inspect them throughly before each use, if you drop one use another.
do you mind explaining to me why NOT to use a California blade? thanks

Trending Topics

Old 06-21-09, 10:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

There is only one way to make it easier to remove bug goop. Keep the car waxed regularly. The waxed surface creates a barrier to the paint and makes things easier to wipe off. And there are a million other added benefits to having a waxed car.
Old 06-22-09, 04:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
There is only one way to make it easier to remove bug goop. Keep the car waxed regularly. The waxed surface creates a barrier to the paint and makes things easier to wipe off. And there are a million other added benefits to having a waxed car.
All of which are the same benefits to using a good polish like Zaino, plus it lasts considerably longer than wax does, especially in heat/direct sunlight

I'd love to hear what's wrong with cotton towels too... with cotton-thread serged edges they're the best thing you can use and won't scratch the finish (unlike many cheap polyester microfiber towels which will).

Cotton likely gets a bad rap from folks using cheap or colored towels
(note you can get 100% cotton towels with a microfiber weave, that's a fine way to go- but probably not what they're selling at autozone)

Most cheap microfiber towels are polyester, which WILL scratch your paint

Among other sources on this:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1564874570-post8.html
Old 06-22-09, 08:27 AM
uaaction
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
yes plz explain why not to use California blade, and i ONLY use Micro fiber
Old 06-22-09, 08:48 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

My suggestion is to contact one of the CL detailing vendors in the automotive care forum. Explain the problems you are having and they will provide you with the correct products you need. GL