IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY : transmission flush and fill

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 08:44 PM
blue_dlb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ do you believe everything you read in the manual? If you do then explain to me why there is more than 1.6 quartz or something of fluid that came out of my drain plug? Almost 4 quarts when the manual says 1.6 or something when you are simply draining the pan. Anyways I see that this thread is worthless to you. Like said before this thread is not for discussion or whether to do it or not. Atleast now people can have an actual photo of the fill hole, drain hole and overflow hole for what it's worth.
Old 06-23-09, 10:30 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blue_dlb
^^ do you believe everything you read in the manual? If you do then explain to me why there is more than 1.6 quartz or something of fluid that came out of my drain plug? Almost 4 quarts when the manual says 1.6 or something when you are simply draining the pan. Anyways I see that this thread is worthless to you. Like said before this thread is not for discussion or whether to do it or not. Atleast now people can have an actual photo of the fill hole, drain hole and overflow hole for what it's worth.
ALWAYS follow the manual. When it tells you not to do something, don't do it! Lexus built the car... you didn't
Old 06-23-09, 11:28 PM
blue_dlb
Rookie

^^ the manual also states that 1.6 quarts will come out from a drain. but almost 4 quartz came out. I drained the fluid, you didn't
Old 06-24-09, 12:25 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up blue!
Old 06-24-09, 12:43 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There honestly is no need to do the transmission flush. But you ought to worry about the differential services. Just through normal use it shaves off metal from the pinions, ring, side gears within the pumpkin so you might want to change that one every 30k and that one is super easy. Especially for you AWD guys who like to go WOT on turns and eat up the center diff.
Old 06-24-09, 01:14 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a shame we cant change the fluid, in a real way.

I don't see why they would want to keep the fluid locked in.

It must be the most no eroding fluid ever created....
Old 06-24-09, 03:54 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I hope you used the CORRECT fluid (WS) when you replaced it! This trans uses a low viscosity synthetic fluid that is only available from Toyota or Amsoil. If you used ANYTHING else it will damage the trans and the whole system will need to be flushed ASAP.

Koz
Old 06-24-09, 04:12 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My brother's friend who is a master technician at toyota told me this is an appropriate procedure. Yeah he is from toyota but some of the new vehicles have the same type of transmissions.

Use this procedure at your own risk.
I'd also love to know from this "master technician" which of toyotas -all- FWD cars have the same RWD automatic transmission as the 2IS.

I'm guessing he works at one of those dealerships that likes to jack up the bill with a buncha service the manual explicitly says never to do too

and to the guy who asked, yeah, WS fluid is -extremely- low wear, that's one of the reasons it's considered lifetime fluid (and why it costs a lot more than a bottle of conventional ATF)
Old 06-24-09, 05:06 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Those saying that the manual says none serviceable are correct. It does say that but that’s just it, the “owners” manual says none serviceable. I bet the Helms shop manual for these cars does mention a service point.
Old 06-24-09, 06:45 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service for our transmission fluid is set at 100,000miles if I'm correct.
Old 06-24-09, 07:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Service for our transmission fluid is set at 100,000miles if I'm correct.
You aren't.

I quoted -directly- from the maintenance manual.

It's a -sealed- system.

You -never- service it.

it's -lifetime- fluid.

Opening it up and swapping a small portion of the fluid out not only voids the warranty on it and likely leads to contamination of the fluid, it's explicitly against what the actual people who built the thing tell you to do.

Originally Posted by B16da9
Those saying that the manual says none serviceable are correct. It does say that but that’s just it, the “owners” manual says none serviceable. I bet the Helms shop manual for these cars does mention a service point.
Lance posted some stuff from the Lexus TIS info on the transmission during the 7+ page thread on this very topic which also supports the notion there's no way to do a complete fluid exchange, nor is one ever expected to be performed.

It tells you how to add fluid if you had a leak. It does NOT tell you how to change the fluid, because you're not supposed to do so and it's impossible to change even the majority of it.
Old 06-24-09, 09:40 AM
wkw84
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting...
Old 06-24-09, 11:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,066 Likes on 2,463 Posts

Sounds like you've never worked on aircraft. The manual is the only source of accurate information. "Backyard" mechanics often do things introducing more opportunity for failure rather than reducing opportunity for failure. Some things are counter-intuitive, especially the idea that you can judge a lubricant by its color. You should have sent a sample to Blackstone Labs before embarking on this adventure. In all likelihood, they would have told you the ATF is fine, leave it in service and test in another 20k miles or so. But you've already decided the engineers who built the gearbox couldn't possibly know better, so let's go ahead and do something the manufacturer specifically says not to do. Best of luck with that, and sad to see you've voided your powertrain warranty at such a low mileage.
Old 06-24-09, 12:35 PM
blue_dlb
Rookie

Originally Posted by nabbun
Thanks for the write up blue!
No problem.
Old 06-24-09, 06:51 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ wow you've worked on aircraft. since when did the isx50 become a rotary engine? You guys are all on my nuts for posting something that maybe useful to some people. Just through searching you will find people who have accidentally drained the transmission fluid. Well if they did, then this DIY will help them. It's discouraging when you and your gang flame on someone who has the intent to help especially coming from a forum moderator. Is this the attitude of most CL members? I guess it's beause of these flamers why you see so little DIY with photos and stuff on this web forum. People are intimidated to post things because they fear it's unacceptable to the gang, i mean community. Like I said before, Get the **** out of my thread if you are discussing whether to do it or not.

Take ur **** here and stop flooding my thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ion-fluid.html
Why don't you post this DIY somewhere else? Apparently no one needs this DIY. You wouldn't even have comments if everyone wasn't arguing with you.

Since this web forum lacks in DIYs. Would you kindly post more DIY of stuff we don't need. Like changing the cushions in the drivers seat.

Quick Reply: DIY : transmission flush and fill