IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY : transmission flush and fill

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-09, 10:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Yes I did work on aircraft. What does rotary have to do with what I said, and who said I even worked on the engines? How about you take a chill pill, and realize this is a BAD IDEA from jump. You're telling people how to do something that will void their warranty. I'd call that plain stupid.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-25-09 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-24-09, 11:07 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez so many haters. Interesting DIY. One of the service assistants mentioned something about changing the transmission or differential fluid at the 30k. Don't remember which exactly.
Wouldn't recommend it though, unless you want to do all the maintenance on the car and never take it back to the dealership/make it a track car. Interesting nonetheless and props for actually doing it.

Seems whenever someone does something interesting or different, everyone flames them (example). Some people do it constructively, while others just put it down without any kind of hope or way to fix it, that isn't usually just the typical "Get an IS350" or "Get an IS-F". Isn't there something about respecting others for their opinions/work/efforts. This goes to both the OP and those that are attacking him. OP ruined his own credit/pity by flaming back. Don't ruin it and make it become some cheap forum where there's a bunch of ppl hiding behind their computers saying whatever they want over the internet. This scares people away from what they think to be the "premier" online Lexus forum. You want to call me stupid for seeing it this way, go right ahead.

My $0.02.

Last edited by JDKane527; 06-24-09 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-24-09, 11:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by blue_dlb
For those of you who are speaking up. Have you done this before? Have you checked to see what color your transmission fluid is? This may not be for the average joe but for those backyard mechanics out there, this is a must. My car has 27K miles and when i flush the old fluid out, it was not red at all. The new fluid was bright red. Also almost 4 quarts came out of mines. It's a fairly easy task for the backyard mechanic. I wish someone had posted info for me instead of me having to research it myself and reading the actual lexus manual online.
Then you still got it wrong to boot. It says fill until it overflows THEN add another 1.59 quarts for the A760H. Maybe you missed that when you read it, or maybe you just didn't read, but whatever the case, your procedure is wrong as posted and does not follow Lexus's own documentation.

Again - backyard mechanics != good work.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-24-09 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-25-09, 09:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS350ty
Yes i agree that there is no point in changing it, but thanks for the DIY.....

the more the better =P
I think this sums it up best. Can we please be civil in here. Its not just the IS-F, the new Lexus cars don't require transmission flushes. Lexus tranny fluid was already some of the best in the business, maybe only bettered my Amsoil.....today the tranny fluid is created and so secure to not need changing. Remember these are no longer the old 4/5 speed autos but complicated CVT, 6/8 speed transmissions. We also have not heard of any tranny failures in any new Lexus vehicle so their method is working.

Thanks for the DIY though, for those interested in changing it for whatever reason that is.

Old 06-25-09, 09:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by stonefan52
Geez so many haters. Interesting DIY. One of the service assistants mentioned something about changing the transmission or differential fluid at the 30k. Don't remember which exactly.
Wouldn't recommend it though, unless you want to do all the maintenance on the car and never take it back to the dealership/make it a track car. Interesting nonetheless and props for actually doing it.

Seems whenever someone does something interesting or different, everyone flames them (example). Some people do it constructively, while others just put it down without any kind of hope or way to fix it, that isn't usually just the typical "Get an IS350" or "Get an IS-F". Isn't there something about respecting others for their opinions/work/efforts. This goes to both the OP and those that are attacking him. OP ruined his own credit/pity by flaming back. Don't ruin it and make it become some cheap forum where there's a bunch of ppl hiding behind their computers saying whatever they want over the internet. This scares people away from what they think to be the "premier" online Lexus forum. You want to call me stupid for seeing it this way, go right ahead.

My $0.02.
First disagreeing with something DOES NOT make you a hater, especially if what is voiced is pretty valid.
Two if you had dozens of examples, I could agree. That is one example. If there are issues please alert the moderator team. There is a small button to your left side to alert us so we can investigate.

There is a site/suggestions forum here if you feel things are out of hand and the IS forum needs more mod involvement. Thanks

Old 06-25-09, 11:00 AM
blue_dlb
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Then you still got it wrong to boot. It says fill until it overflows THEN add another 1.59 quarts for the A760H. Maybe you missed that when you read it, or maybe you just didn't read, but whatever the case, your procedure is wrong as posted and does not follow Lexus's own documentation.

Again - backyard mechanics != good work.
No, I do not have it wrong. See attachment
Attached Thumbnails DIY : transmission flush and fill-transfluid.png  

Last edited by blue_dlb; 06-25-09 at 11:07 AM. Reason: wrong image
Old 06-25-09, 05:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

You failed to read the whole procedure. This part happens AFTER you fill to overflow, ADD the specified amount from the table, and then warm the fluid to the correct temperature (which you stated is unimportant in your procedure, but Lexus seems to think it's pretty important the fluid is neither too hot nor too cold.)

This is how it should read assuming you do not have the intelligent tester:

BEFORE FILLING TRANSMISSION

This transmission requires Toyota Genuine ATF WS.
It is necessary to refill the transmission with the correct amount of fluid.
The vehicle must remain level while adjusting the transmission fluid level.

FILL TRANSMISSION PAN WITH FLUID

Remove the refill plug and overflow plug.
Fill the transmission through the refill hole until fluid begins to trickle out of the overflow tube.
Reinstall the overflow plug.

FILL TRANSMISSION

Fill the transmission with the correct amount of fluid.

Transmission pan and drain plug removal - 1.6 liters (1.69 US qts, 1.40 Imp. qts)

Reinstall the refill plug to avoid fluid splash.

HINT: If you cannot add the listed amount of fluid, do the following:
Install the refill plug.
Allow the engine to idle with the air conditioning OFF.
Move the shift lever through entire gear range to circulate fluid.
Wait for 30 seconds with the engine idling.
Stop the engine.
Remove the refill plug and add fluid.
Reinstall the refill plug.

CHECK FLUID TEMPERATURE

NOTICE: The fluid temperature can be confirmed by checking the D shift indicator in the meter. It is necessary to change to fluid temperature detection mode.
HINT: The fluid temperature should be less than 30°C (86°F) before beginning the fluid temperature check.

Connect terminals CG (4) and TC (13) of DLC3.
Start the engine.

NOTICE: Check that electrical systems such as the air conditioning system, audio system and lighting system are off.
HINT: Indicator lights of the meter blink to output DTCs when terminals TC and CG are connected.

Slowly move the shift lever from the P to the S position, Shift the gear from 1st to 6th and then return the shift lever return to P position.
Move the shift lever to D, and quickly move back and forth between N and D (once within 1.5 seconds) for at least 6 seconds. This will activate the fluid temperature detection mode.

NOTICE: D shift indicator remains illuminated for 2 seconds and then turns off.

Return the shift lever to P and disconnect terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG).
Allow the engine to idle until the fluid temperature reaches 39 to 46°C (102 to 115°F).
The D shift indicator will come on again when the fluid temperature reaches 39°C (102°F) and will blink when it exceeds 46°C (115°F).

NOTICE: Perform the fluid level inspection while the D shift indicator is turned on.

CHECK FLUID LEVEL

NOTICE: The fluid temperature must be between 39°C (102°F) and 46°C (115°F) to accurately check the fluid level.

Remove the overflow plug with the engine idling.
Check that the fluid comes out of the overflow tube.
If fluid does not come out, proceed to the “REFILL TRANSMISSION WITH FLUID” procedures.
If fluid comes out, wait until the overflow slows to a trickle and proceed to the “AFTER FILLING TRANSMISSION” procedures.

REFILL TRANSMISSION WITH FLUID

Install the overflow plug.
Stop the engine.
Remove the refill plug.
Add 0.4 liters (0.42 US qts, 0.35 Imp. qts) of fluid.
Allow the engine to idle and wait for 10 seconds.
Proceed to the “CHECK FLUID LEVEL”.

AFTER FILLING TRANSMISSION

Install the overflow plug with a new gasket. Torque:15ft-lb
Stop the engine.
Install the refill plug with a new 0-ring. Torque: 29ft-lb
Old 06-25-09, 06:50 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

*rotfl* so not only did he void his power train warranty, do a procedure the manual explicitly states should never be done and is never required for the life of the vehicle, he then did the refill wrong and has been driving around a quart of fluid low since he did it.
Old 06-25-09, 07:48 PM
blue_dlb
Rookie

I tired of arguing with you people. It's no point. All i'm saying is that if one wanted to do it then here is the procedure i used and I did it based on instruction from lexus. Also i did put the right amount. After you fill the transmission till it comes out of the overflow hole, then you top if off with .4 quarts. You don't just put 1.6. None of you have done so don't speak. You point has been made that it should be done. That is your opinion. It's so stupid that people don't understand that this thread is not meant to be a discussion thread. You guys already beat it up on the other thread that i listed. This will be my last reply to this thread.
The following users liked this post:
CIDRUDY (05-05-22)
Old 06-25-09, 07:49 PM
LexFather

Okay this is also going nowhere.