IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New IPOD interface in IS-C ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 06:04 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that is only a USB port for charging it.... but I could be wrong.
Old 06-23-09, 07:42 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I think that is only a USB port for charging it.... but I could be wrong.
If the USB system in the ISC works the same as it does in some other cars that I've hooked into, its a pain. I have had a rental Taurus, & Sonata that both had USB hook up's. I hooked my iPod into the usb and it read it like a hard drive. The system in the car looked at each folder and then played the music out of that folder. In both the Taurus and Sonata, it did not display song titles or anything like that, just odd coding names that iTunes names the music. I was not at all impressed by the USB systems in either car. Hopefully I was just using the wrong, but if not, I'd rather hook it up through the miniplug aux jack.
Old 06-23-09, 07:53 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Yep the IS-C has the lastest tech.

HDD based Navi and has real traffic now. I wish i had that
I think having an HDD based navi isn't smart what so ever.

You're in a car, constantly hitting bumps, vibrations go through everything, including that hard drive. hard drive = too many moving parts, something is bound to go wrong, heat, worst case scenario that the needles touch the spinning platter causing it to become inoperable = lexus charging you quite a bit of money to replace that unit, which is probably going to be more expensive than the navi for our cars ($2500+).

I think if they sway in the direction of SSD, now that would be latest tech.
Old 06-23-09, 08:46 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexasaurus

You're in a car, constantly hitting bumps, vibrations go through everything, including that hard drive. hard drive = too many moving parts, something is bound to go wrong, heat, worst case scenario that the needles touch the spinning platter causing it to become inoperable = lexus charging you quite a bit of money to replace that unit, which is probably going to be more expensive than the navi for our cars ($2500+).

Other car manufacturers are using HDD systems and have been for a couple of years. I haven't heard of any major problems with a HDD system as of yet. I currently have a HDD nav system and have had it for 2 years- no problems yet. I have put the car through a lot and it has held strong and given me no problem.

If Lexus could improve the nav systems that are currently used in the IS line, it would be huge. The Lexus system is so far behind what the other luxury manufacturers are offering in their cars (Infiniti, Acura, MB, etc...).
Old 06-24-09, 06:37 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by teeder27
Other car manufacturers are using HDD systems and have been for a couple of years. I haven't heard of any major problems with a HDD system as of yet. I currently have a HDD nav system and have had it for 2 years- no problems yet. I have put the car through a lot and it has held strong and given me no problem.

If Lexus could improve the nav systems that are currently used in the IS line, it would be huge. The Lexus system is so far behind what the other luxury manufacturers are offering in their cars (Infiniti, Acura, MB, etc...).
With HDD's it's not IF they are going to fail, its WHEN.

I've been working at a data recovery company for three years now, and i've seen atleast 3 drives from Cadillacs that were so gone that our engineers had a laugh for a good hour. I'll try to find pictures of the drive.

I agree with you that they need to improve their tech, a $99 TomTom has more features!
Old 06-24-09, 10:39 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I haven't heard issues for the LS460/LS600 community...

They have been running the HDD systems.

Joe Z
Old 06-24-09, 11:24 AM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

If the USB system in the ISC works the same as it does in some other cars that I've hooked into, its a pain. I have had a rental Taurus, & Sonata that both had USB hook up's. I hooked my iPod into the usb and it read it like a hard drive. The system in the car looked at each folder and then played the music out of that folder. In both the Taurus and Sonata, it did not display song titles or anything like that, just odd coding names that iTunes names the music. I was not at all impressed by the USB systems in either car. Hopefully I was just using the wrong, but if not, I'd rather hook it up through the miniplug aux jack.

Or if Lexus really wants to be ahead of the pack, they can offer a SSD instead of HDD. Or they can engineer a HDD dock in the trunk area for easy access and we can make an image on our PC's to back up the info, that way when the HDD goes bad, it'll be an easy swap and play.
Old 06-24-09, 11:34 AM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Or if Lexus really wants to be ahead of the pack, they can offer a SSD instead of HDD. Or they can engineer a HDD dock in the trunk area for easy access and we can make an image on our PC's to back up the info, that way when the HDD goes bad, it'll be an easy swap and play.

Better yet, I'll patent it and then sell it to Lexus
Old 06-24-09, 11:37 AM
teeder27
Rookie

Originally Posted by Civic Si-r

Better yet, I'll patent it and then sell it to Lexus

SSD technology would definatley be awesome, however I don't see Lexus introducing that technology into their cars until someone else has tried it and it works. Lexus/Toyota is too conservative a company to try something like that.
Old 06-24-09, 11:43 AM
lexusscguy
Pole Position

I've been working at a data recovery company for three years now, and i've seen atleast 3 drives from Cadillacs that were so gone that our engineers had a laugh for a good hour. I'll try to find pictures of the drive.

I agree with you that they need to improve their tech, a $99 TomTom has more features!
How can you compare GM to Lexus come on now, like Joe Z said above haven't heard of any HDD systems failing in the LS's.

But more important we are getting off the subject of this thread, I posted to see if anyone knew more about the IS C's new IPOD interface.
Old 06-25-09, 01:55 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusscguy
How can you compare GM to Lexus come on now, like Joe Z said above haven't heard of any HDD systems failing in the LS's.

But more important we are getting off the subject of this thread, I posted to see if anyone knew more about the IS C's new IPOD interface.
I didn't compare GM to Lexus? I'm comparing hard drives.. what did you think since Lexus is a super luxury brand it will use super luxury HDD's? If that's the case, you are terribly wrong. All hard disks are the same, all of them fail, and i personally believe that having something with that many delicate moving parts in a moving vehicle isn't smart. SSD = no moving parts = will run forever.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I haven't heard issues for the LS460/LS600 community...

They have been running the HDD systems.

Joe Z
Sure, no problem, however when did they start using HDD's? Two years ago? Average HDD has a life cycle of about 1,000,000 read and writes, i'm going to guess we are going to see some failure soon.
Old 06-25-09, 03:46 AM
lexusscguy
Pole Position

I didn't compare GM to Lexus? I'm comparing hard drives.. what did you think since Lexus is a super luxury brand it will use super luxury HDD's? If that's the case, you are terribly wrong. All hard disks are the same, all of them fail, and i personally believe that having something with that many delicate moving parts in a moving vehicle isn't smart. SSD = no moving parts = will run forever.

Sure, no problem, however when did they start using HDD's? Two years ago? Average HDD has a life cycle of about 1,000,000 read and writes, i'm going to guess we are going to see some failure soon.
Sorry I don't agreed that all hard drives are the same, there are different specs and a big difference in the way the hard drive is installed and supported. I work for Harris Corp and all our equipment is Military-Grade now I am not saying Lexus uses Military-Grade harddrives, but since GM tries to cut costs at every corner I wouldn't be surprise if they cut corners on the way the harddrive is installed verus the way Lexus installed it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-25-09, 04:38 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusscguy
Sorry I don't agreed that all hard drives are the same, there are different specs and a big difference in the way the hard drive is installed and supported. I work for Harris Corp and all our equipment is Military-Grade now I am not saying Lexus uses Military-Grade harddrives, but since GM tries to cut costs at every corner I wouldn't be surprise if they cut corners on the way the harddrive is installed verus the way Lexus installed it. Just my 2 cents.
Only variables is the speed at which the disk spins, capacity, cache. Installed and supported? what difference does that make? They are made to read and write data, they all work the same exact way. If the navigation unit is on, that means the disk is spinning, disc is spinning = read and write cycles. My main argument is that possibly failure cannot be ruled out simply because of the amount of vibration that goes through the vehicle. Please trust me on this, i've been in class 10 and class 100 clean room environments opening HDD's that have been driven over, caught fire, submerged in water, i've dealt with stuck motors, bad heads, bad logic boards, the whole 9 yards. Anything can happen to these things, if you pay 45k+ for a new model Lexus, i would expect them to use something more reliable.

I believe audio brand Eclipse has a 7" DVD/Nav unit with SSD built in, if they can do it, Lexus can as well.

Sorry about steering so far off subject.
Old 06-25-09, 04:52 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

The iPod hook up that is shown in the picture above is just a USB port. Is that what the current iPod integration port that is available for purchase is?
According to the Lexus website, it is. They say: "Compatible music players can be connected via a USB cable, allowing you to access and control your music through the vehicle's audio system while charging the player's batteries."

Needles?!?

Small ruggedized hard drives have proven themselves in other applications. Most of the older and larger iPods are HDD based, and people run with them, jog with them, drop them, etc. Lots of technology to survive rough environments is baked in - heads park when not in use, shock sensors retract heads or move them to a safe zone when impending impact is suspected, special platter coatings and lubricants minimize damage should head contact occur.

SSDs will no doubt be developed for automotive applications, but until they are, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the durability of HDD based units.
Old 06-25-09, 05:12 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Isn't this the same Nav and usb connector that is also available in the new 2010 RX? So I would suspect it works the same in by of those cars.
So it has now moved from the LS to the RX and down to the IS-C and most likely coming to the HS250.

Quick Reply: New IPOD interface in IS-C ?