IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

strange reaction? (Idle RPMs drop and car shakes occassionally)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 01:11 PM
06LexIS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bchang
Here is my experience with rough idle. In March, my 2006 IS250 started having intermittent rough idle at a stop. When I accelerated, it would hesitate and eventually stalled when I was pulling into an intersection. Brought it in and they diagnosed it as misfire and replaced the exhaust valves/springs (there is a TSB on this common issue). In April, I brought it in again for rough idle, they cleaned the throttle body. In June brought it in for rough idle. This time they flew 4 technicians from Japan (one was an engineer that helped design the engine). Spent 3 days running diagnostics and could not find the cause of the misfire. Took the engine back to Japan for further testing and placed a new engine in my car (which I did not want since they do not know the cause and it will inevitably reoccur). I filed a lemon law claim. They denied it saying the new engine solves the problem. Now I am having intermittent rough idle with surge (when the rpm bounced up fast during stopping, my car sometimes surges).

My advice - DO NOT attribute this to normal operations. You don't want to be repairing this our of warranty. In my case, they do not know the cause.
Funny that you mention this, I just got my car back last week after a month at the dealer.
My car just started shaking, the CEL came on blinking (check VSC) the first time, the second time same deal but after shutting/re-starting the car it cleared.
Then one morning the CEL came on blinking but no codes were logged.
Took it in and after two weeks of troubleshooting Lexus decided to replaced the exhaust valves and got the engineers from Japan involved. Till this day they don't have an answer.

On Monday, I came up to a light and felt a slight tumble again, I'm calling the SA tomorrow.

Last edited by 06LexIS; 09-01-09 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 03:09 PM
bchang
Driver School Candidate

I would recommend that you go to a lemon law lawyer. My dealings with Lexus corp has been frustrating and at this point the dealership will consult with the regional tech whenever you bring your car in. Keep me posted on your progress.
Old 09-09-09, 09:28 PM
ugamike
Driver School Candidate

Default Idle Drops Coming Stop Light

Hey guys, I am having a similar issue. After the engine is warmed up and I come to a complete stop at like a red light, the idle will drop down to 500 and jump back up to 650 or so right after. During this time I do feel a little vibration and it will continue to vibrate until I begin going again. I have noticed though that if I keep my parking lights on, the revs will stay a bit higher and thus prevent the shaking from occuring. This will not happen with the AC on either as the revs will be higher. Lexus told me this is normal? because this car is drive by wire and the electronics need time to adjust the idle? Normal or not, its pissing me off. I do notice this will change with the temperature outside as well. Could be related to the MAF sensor? Please let me know your thoughts.

Also the TSB that everyone is talking about exhaust valve and springs, can someone post a link to this TSB or post the details for it. I want to tell my dealer about this.

Thanks
Old 09-18-09, 07:39 PM
bchang
Driver School Candidate

ugamike, you can do a search on google for lexus is250 tsb. I tried posting a link, but it didn't post. I got notice from my lawyer that Lexus has agreed to repurchase my car. The lawyer letter helps.
Old 12-24-09, 05:44 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

mine has done the same thing to me a handful of times and i'm now at 40k. said something to the dealer yesterday about it when i was in for an oil change since it happened again that morning. they checked the computer for any codes it may have thrown but found nothing. they said i most likely have carbon build up and also need the injectors cleaned. they suggested a throttle body cleaning and injectors cleaned. i say a bunch of b.s.! the car is too young for all of that and i only use premium fuel since i got it brand new. what do you all think?