IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

YouTube videos:IS350 oil dipstick gives false readings

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-09, 09:04 PM
swheat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YouTube videos:IS350 oil dipstick gives false readings

I'm pretty concerned because I think I've been running my car on low oil and some of you may have been too if what I suspect is in fact true.
A couple months ago I posted (on another website) that my IS350 had run out of oil between changes and that I was running on less than a quart when I changed my oil. I also indicated that I had been checking the oil and I never had a cause for concern until I drained the car of oil and discovered I had run out.
This time I documented my finding with two videos I am uploaded to YouTube. Since my last oil change, I’ve been **** about checking the oil. I have even been carrying two quarts of oil in my trunk should I need to add oil. I typically check the oil in the morning before I leave for work. I have never gotten anything less than a full reading, just as you see on the video I posted so I have never attempted to add oil for fear of over filling.

What I did was drain my car of oil, wait about a half hour, and check the oil twice. On both occasions I cleaned the dipstick and both occasions I got a reading of full. The video on YouTube is actually the third time I checked the oil with the oil pan empty. As you can clearly see the dipstick comes out with oil above the full line. Why the dipstick gives this reading I do not know. Perhaps it rubs against the tube when it’s inserted?
YouTube Video 1

After draining the oil and checking it, I turned the car on for about 10 seconds with no oil in it just to see if the oil light would come on. As you can see in the video, the oil light did not come on, nor did the check engine light.
YouTube Video 2

Video Notes:
The car is parked in my driveway in the exact spot where I drained the oil. My driveway has a slight slope, however the place where the car is parked is almost level.
I jacked the car slightly on the drivers side and completely removed (and changed) the filter when draining the oil. If there is in fact any oil in the car it is a trace amount and should not give the reading the video shows.
My car has no oil leaks. As you can see my driveway is concrete. You can’t see all of it but I assure you it’s clean.
Old 06-28-09, 12:54 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im no expert here but assuming that the dipstick is on the left side of the motor its going into the left side of the pan and if you have the drivers side jacked up maybe the some excess oil that is left over after you drain it goes to the dipstick.. I have never seen my oil level on my dipstick that high before before during or after an oil change
Old 06-28-09, 03:33 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you just say, you drained all your oil. Then proceeded to start your car (WITH NO OIL) just to see if you would get errors? Hummmmmmmmmm!

Hope you were using RP...
Old 06-28-09, 04:59 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
Did you just say, you drained all your oil. Then proceeded to start your car (WITH NO OIL) just to see if you would get errors? Hummmmmmmmmm!...
ya noticed that part eh... i bet this is some troll thingy from other forums cuz no-one is this stupid to believe such a BS story... and no, i didn't click on the links... probably get 'rick rolled'...

AND...

if this is legit? you are 'not as smart' as other ppl.

Last edited by llamaboiz; 06-28-09 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-28-09, 08:09 AM
swheat
Driver School Candidate

>>if you have the drivers side jacked up
I jacked the car up slightly when I changed the oil just so it would drain. At the time I shot the video all four wheels were on the ground.

The last time I changed my oil, (the time before I shot this video) I drained a half quart from my car. The low oil light never came on and the dipstick readings were always "full".

This time when I changed the oil it was the same thing! No oil light and full dipstick readings. Last time I thought maybe it was me who was not paying attention so when it happened again I decided to shoot the videos.

I am not a troll. I am not selling anything. I just want to let everyone know there is a problem with my car and I hope that problem is not in your car too.

Yes I did start my car with no oil in it for ten seconds. As you can see in the video the low oil pressure light does not come on.
Old 06-28-09, 11:12 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by swheat
>>if you have the drivers side jacked up
I jacked the car up slightly when I changed the oil just so it would drain. At the time I shot the video all four wheels were on the ground.

The last time I changed my oil, (the time before I shot this video) I drained a half quart from my car. The low oil light never came on and the dipstick readings were always "full".

This time when I changed the oil it was the same thing! No oil light and full dipstick readings. Last time I thought maybe it was me who was not paying attention so when it happened again I decided to shoot the videos.

I am not a troll. I am not selling anything. I just want to let everyone know there is a problem with my car and I hope that problem is not in your car too.

Yes I did start my car with no oil in it for ten seconds. As you can see in the video the low oil pressure light does not come on.

I have alerted the Castrol dipstickwhipper guy. Step away from the IS! He will be there shortly.
Old 06-28-09, 11:42 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Interesting how the Low Oil light never came on. Maybe if you revved it some it would of came on?
Old 06-28-09, 11:57 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
ya noticed that part eh... i bet this is some troll thingy from other forums cuz no-one is this stupid to believe such a BS story... and no, i didn't click on the links... probably get 'rick rolled'...

AND...

if this is legit? you are 'not as smart' as other ppl.
I watched his videos... no rick roll here...

It's weird, The oil level is WAY above full on the dipstick even when he said you drained all the oil... Have you talked to the dealer about this?
Old 06-28-09, 12:17 PM
swheat
Driver School Candidate

>>Interesting how the Low Oil light never came on.

That is what I'm trying to tell you guys. The dipstick and oil light cannot be trusted.
I'm going to the dealer on Monday. I'm thinking about going to an independent mechanic first and videoing him changing the oil again just so I have legit proof.
Old 06-28-09, 01:19 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the guy is a troll. But he might have a point here.

Can someone else please confirm....

How? By checking your oil stick, the next time you change your oil... or check your oil and see if you get full readings all the time....

Does our car really burn that much oil? who knows? lol
Old 06-28-09, 02:10 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swheat
>>Interesting how the Low Oil light never came on.

That is what I'm trying to tell you guys. The dipstick and oil light cannot be trusted.
I'm going to the dealer on Monday. I'm thinking about going to an independent mechanic first and videoing him changing the oil again just so I have legit proof.
I would go to the nearest Lexus dealer & pay for an oil change so that if you have a problem later it will be covered by your warranty
Old 06-28-09, 02:19 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Interesting how the Low Oil light never came on. Maybe if you revved it some it would of came on?
The light comes on when the oil Pressure is too low at the sending unit. Reving the engine increases oil pressure unless the volume of oil is so low that the pump runs out of oil
Old 06-28-09, 02:46 PM
N0IS
Rookie

you sure you drained oil not something else?
Old 06-28-09, 02:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,975 Likes on 2,405 Posts

In 60k miles and a total of nine filter changes and 5 full oil changes I never experienced what the OP is talking about. Never had to add oil even with 10k mile changes, and had oil analysis done on my oil at nearly every change to ensure the change interval was not too long. Adding oil always raised the level and pulling oil out through the dipstick tube with my vacuum pump and catch jar always showed a reduced level.

There's obviously something wrong with your car. It won't run on one quart, you won't have enough volume to pump oil to the heads and keep the rod bearings from spinning. Your low pressure light should be on and bright.

FWIW, the low level light worked fine on all my other Toyota products. I've never tested in on the IS because I've never been that low on oil.

**Just watched the video** That dipstick doesn't look like mine did at all. It doesn't look like you have the right one. Mine had no twists in it and it had two holes in it. One for low and one for high. You sure that's the right one?

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-28-09 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-28-09, 02:51 PM
swheat
Driver School Candidate

My expectation is that I will go to the dealer and they will look at car and say "Sorry Sam but your car is now a shiney black piece of junk. You should have been checking the oil."

I know that sounds paranoid. But there are so many dealer rip-off stories that I would rather be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: YouTube videos:IS350 oil dipstick gives false readings