IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problem with power windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-09 | 03:28 PM
Tmullins23
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem with power windows

Hello everyone...

Wondering if you pro(s) would mind assisting me with a problem on my 07 is250 awd.

I can roll the driver side window only. I checked all of the windows, even the lock button, and nothing.

I pulled off the rear left - drivers side door panel. The wires were a little chewed up from the window. I cut and spliced them together, and still nothing.

My warranty is up otherwise I'd take it in.

Any ideas?
Old 06-28-09 | 03:41 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Are you just trying from the driver window switch? I would check there is something wrong with the relay. They maybe stuck and not making the correct connection
Old 06-28-09 | 03:45 PM
quintmann
Pole Position

that happened to me too just yesterday and what I did was move both the driver switch and the switch on the other doors at the same time a couple times and it started working. this was after I had the switch panels unplugged tho... but give that a try and see if it works
Old 06-28-09 | 03:52 PM
Tmullins23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slee18
Are you just trying from the driver window switch? I would check there is something wrong with the relay. They maybe stuck and not making the correct connection
I tried from the driver switch, and only the driver window works. I then tried all of the doors from the switch on each door, and nothing.
Old 06-28-09 | 04:08 PM
quintmann
Pole Position

if none of the windows are working, there has to be something wrong with the driver switch panel cuz without that plugged in, none will work. so it's either a blown fuze or something internally wrong with the driver switch panel.

you will probably have to take it in to the dealership to get them to look at it if it's something internally that's wrong
Old 06-28-09 | 04:17 PM
Tmullins23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by quintmann
if none of the windows are working, there has to be something wrong with the driver switch panel cuz without that plugged in, none will work. so it's either a blown fuze or something internally wrong with the driver switch panel.

you will probably have to take it in to the dealership to get them to look at it if it's something internally that's wrong

Hmm..
- Checked fuses
- Drivers switch panel: So if this panel is not working correctly then none of the other windows will work? I am able to roll down only the drivers window. Would a defaulty switch panel affect me from physically trying to roll it down from each door?
Old 06-28-09 | 04:30 PM
quintmann
Pole Position

I'm not sure but when I had my switch panels off yesterday I tried to roll one of the rears down and they wouldn't work but I plugged the driver panel back in and they worked so that's why I think it might be in the driver panel
Old 06-28-09 | 04:37 PM
Tmullins23
Driver School Candidate

OK thanks. My car was in an accident a while back. They replaced the front drivers door, drivers fender, and a whole new quarter panel.

I have honestly had nothing but problems with the car since I got it back.

I have a spare switch I ordered. I will go and install the new one and see if this solves the p roblem.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-28-09 | 04:42 PM
quintmann
Pole Position

no problem and good luck!
Old 06-28-09 | 04:50 PM
Tmullins23
Driver School Candidate

Update... After I tried to pop the door off, I realized I can just pop the switch panel / trim off. I plugged the new one in, still the same issue.

This is what I'm thinking... Either a fuse, but which one?

Would a wiring problem in the right rear door, cause all of the windows to not work?
Old 06-28-09 | 05:01 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

go to each door press the button and hold it down as the window rolls up, lift it up and hold it as each window goes up and do it 2 or 3 times for each door(may help to keep it supressed or up 1 sec after the window is fully opened or closed. this should solve ur problem. if not disconnect the battery and reconnect it, then try what i stated above.
Old 06-28-09 | 05:06 PM
quintmann
Pole Position

I'm sure the owners manual will tell u what fuses are for what
Old 06-28-09 | 05:30 PM
Tmullins23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iialcii
go to each door press the button and hold it down as the window rolls up, lift it up and hold it as each window goes up and do it 2 or 3 times for each door(may help to keep it supressed or up 1 sec after the window is fully opened or closed. this should solve ur problem. if not disconnect the battery and reconnect it, then try what i stated above.
I went to each door pressed the button and the window did nothing. I disconnected the battery waited a few and then reconnected. Tried again, and nothing.

I checked both the fuses (drivers side) 20 amp fuses, both looked good. But, i also put 2 new ones in just in case. Still nothing. I went to each door removed the panel disconnected and reconnected.. nothing..

Any other ideas?
Old 06-28-09 | 06:35 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tmullins23
Any other ideas?
Just a random thought, but how about taking it to the dealer for warranty service?
Old 06-28-09 | 07:07 PM
Tmullins23
Driver School Candidate

My warranty was actually up today.

But.. I pulled the navigation out, there was a loose wire. I reconnected it and walllaaa power windows work. All except the right rear.

I then tried to swap the switches from the right rear to the left rear. Still nothing.

So the issue is somewhere in the wiring of the left rear door.

Anyone have any idea what the price is on a wiring harness?

Quick Reply: Problem with power windows