IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Newb looking at trading BMW for IS350...few quick questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 09:48 AM
Topshelf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, thanks for all the input guys. Really appreciate your help here.

I'll give as quick a background as possible as to how we got here...2 years ago we traded our '02 RX300 in for an '05 325xi wagon. Loved the RX as a touring vehicle, but sporting was not something that could be said about it. The Bimmer was a total blast to drive, but a simple axle issue seemed to turn into a nightmare and we just found it easier to upgrade to a newer style 325xi wagon then continue to dump $$$ into the car. Wife loves (loved) the new wagon until a few weeks ago when I had to let her drive my Z4 Coupe to work. She came home the next day with her car and claimed it rode like crap compared to mine. I can't argue with her because I think it rides like crap as well. Not only that, but I think it's a horribly ugly car and oversized for what the 3 Series is supposed to be, not to mention that I still have not found a comfy seating position. So I replaced the tires and had a BMW shop check out the suspension to see if it was something simple. No known issues found. So now I'm at the point where I can either start replacing parts in the hopes that I get the right ones, or look at other options. Her 325 is not under warranty now as it's at 60k miles. So any work is directly out of my pocket. We've had the SUV's and wagons because we have two 75lb boxers and used to travel a lot. We don't get out nearly as much now since one has trouble getting around, so I thought going to a sedan might be a better choice. Figured I can install one of those pet hammocks in the back seat, should give those two knuckleheads enough room to get around and be safe. Some quick research brought me to the IS350 and G35, but I think both of us prefer the IS. My main concern is that after having owned an RX300 and an LS400, I definitely don't want to go that far from sporty, but at the same time, I know I want to get the heck away from these German cars as I just don't have the time for constant upkeep anymore...as soon as the warranty on my Z is out, that car is gone too.

So after that not so short story, what I'm hoping to find is a car that is as, or close to as sporty as the 3 series, but yet more refined and reliable. It's funny how we all base our purchased on lateral G's and 1/4 mile times, yet 99% of our driving is boring highway or stop and go city. The wife does not (at least I hope she doesn't) drift around corners, so I don't think she's going to notice if there's a touch less steering feedback. Oh, and whoever thinks a BMW wagon can't handle, take one out. She also needs NAV/Bluetooth/Steering wheel radio controls and all the other gizmo's we're accustomed to, but it looks like that shouldn't be an issue. I've already read that the iPhone is compatible as well.

As for the decrease in room, there's no doubt it's way smaller, but until I see one in person I won't know if I can fit 150lbs of slobbering maniacs back there. We don't do anywhere near the traveling we used to, so I don't think a 15 minute trip to the park now and then would be an issue. If so, I'd personally rather still go with a sedan and find a used RAV4 or something dirt cheap so they can make a complete mess in there without me worrying.

We're heading out tonight to check out the IS...never made it last night because someone set her Irish temper off before we left, but I won't mention who. So I'm really looking forward to seeing what this car is all about. The only problem is that there's no doubt I can replace all the suspension parts on the Bimmer for less than what it's going to cost me to upgrade to the IS. So I'm back to wondering if it's worth it. Guess I'll have a better idea tonight.

Oh, two last questions...

1). Say you're waiting to enter an intersection and it's raining out. You see an opening, hit the gas and the tires start to spin. Does the TC shut the power down leaving you all but stranded infront of oncoming traffic? Or does it magically reel in the wheel spin allowing you to smoothly and safely get up to speed with traffic? Our old Benz would basically shut the car down. I've had to throw a few pairs of underwear out thanks to that brilliant engineering decision.

2) Winter driving with snow tires. Anyone have any experience? I will not allow any car to not have winter tires on during the winter, and obviously having that combined with a pretty impressive AWD system gives a ton of confidence in the bad weather. We don't get tons around here anymore, so I'm comfortable putting her back into a RWD car especially since I made it through last year in the Z with no issues, but always nice knowing what to expect.

If anyone actually made it this far, thanks for reading.
Old 06-30-09, 11:08 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshelf
Say you're waiting to enter an intersection and it's raining out. You see an opening, hit the gas and the tires start to spin. Does the TC shut the power down leaving you all but stranded infront of oncoming traffic? Or does it magically reel in the wheel spin allowing you to smoothly and safely get up to speed with traffic? Our old Benz would basically shut the car down. I've had to throw a few pairs of underwear out thanks to that brilliant engineering decision.
This will depend on the throttle control, steering angle, and the condition of your tires, more than anything else, IMO. You get a pretty good idea of where the car will step in to cut power and when it will let you proceed. I've been able to put power to the ground in the rain in a turn when necessary, and I've also been able to completely cut power; you have to keep it smooth from the getgo to achieve the former. If I suspect the TC could put me in a dangerous situation, its probably not the best idea to try and take chances in that scenario, as the driver.

Winter driving with snow tires. Anyone have any experience? I will not allow any car to not have winter tires on during the winter
You'll be fine with dedicated winter tires on the IS. Even all-seasons are adequate for light snow, as the car is plenty capable (RWD included). Again, I'd say its driver discipline which really determines what happens next.
Old 06-30-09, 12:18 PM
Topshelf
Driver

Thanks Shinobi. Just for reference, I'm not talking about blindly cutting into moving traffic because I don't feel like waiting for a green light. Ever try entering a busy NJ circle in rush hour traffic on a Friday? Let's just say that if you wait for that nice big safe opening, you'll be lucky to make it home by Saturday breakfast. As much as we don't want to, there are times when you have to gas it to get into traffic. I'm a stickler for good tires and proper pressures, but 306hp can easily fire up the TC in the wet. That's one thing I will give the Bimmers credit for, functional real world TC. Guess I just might have to test out the TC during the test drive.
Old 06-30-09, 12:21 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Do you put the dogs in any cage when you take them to the park? The back seat is tight in the IS and while the salesperson probably won't appreciate you throwing a dog in the back, something close to their size would be nice to help you judge whether or not the car will work for you.
Old 06-30-09, 12:52 PM
Topshelf
Driver

It's that small back there? Right now they have free reign in the back of the wagon. There's a really nice feature where the cargo cover mounts into the back of the folded down seats and has a built in net that locks into the ceiling. Great safety feature to make sure they don't come flying into the windshield during a panic stop. I was thinking about picking up one of these if we go with the IS.

Newb looking at trading BMW for IS350...few quick questions.-pet-hammock.jpg

No doubt they're going to lose room compared to the wagon, but the trips aren't what they used to be these days. I'll have to put some real thought into this when I take a look at the car. Hopefully the weather holds off, or this might go another night. Gonna have to debate the trade-offs between these two cars.
Old 06-30-09, 07:27 PM
uconn99
Rookie

I went from a 97 540, and although I miss the growl of the V8, I am happy with my 2007 IS350.
Old 06-30-09, 07:34 PM
Topshelf
Driver

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for your input. We just got home from the dealership, and I can safely say that right now, the IS350 is not for us. There's many things to love about the car, and more than a few things we liked better than the BMW, but at the same time, neither of us got out and had that "We must buy this car!" feeling. It was a fully loaded '06 with 30k. I don't think there was a single option unchecked from the build sheet. NAV kicked the crap out of the 3's, power was awesome, seats were 100x more comfy and the overall size I preferred. That being said, tonight was the first time I understood what all these car mags constantly talk about...The BMW is a more connected car to drive. Neither of us loved the very loose steering feel, or the surprising ride quality. I took a few turns at a good clip and I just didn't have the confidence I was expecting. We still spent a long time with the salesman (that's a whole different story) working out numbers because for the right price, I think we could adjust to the different driving dynamics and much nicer interior and options. Unfortunately, it seems as though Lexus is not hurting in today's economy and does not need to negotiate the price of it's cars. The good news is that on the drive home the wife was very happy with her wagon and I get to put about $13,000 back in my pocket We'll see how she feels next week, but for now it looks like things are staying as is.

Again, thanks everyone for your time and assistance. And enjoy your very fast rides.
Old 06-30-09, 07:44 PM
2007is350
Driver School Candidate

wow even a bmw wagon handles better than the is350
Old 06-30-09, 08:03 PM
Topshelf
Driver

LOL, I'll leave that judgment alone since everyone has different opinions on this. But just for clarification, don't underestimate the wagon. It's identical to the sedan in every way, it just has a slightly different rear end design. And if you want to get technical, the extra ~100lbs added to the wagon due to extra glass and the hatch actually give it a better weight distribution than the sedan. Of course, you better be one heck of a driver to notice that change. But comparing the wagon to the IS350 is no different than comparing any 3 series sedan to the IS350.
Old 06-30-09, 08:08 PM
LexFather

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for your input. We just got home from the dealership, and I can safely say that right now, the IS350 is not for us. There's many things to love about the car, and more than a few things we liked better than the BMW, but at the same time, neither of us got out and had that "We must buy this car!" feeling. It was a fully loaded '06 with 30k. I don't think there was a single option unchecked from the build sheet. NAV kicked the crap out of the 3's, power was awesome, seats were 100x more comfy and the overall size I preferred. That being said, tonight was the first time I understood what all these car mags constantly talk about...The BMW is a more connected car to drive. Neither of us loved the very loose steering feel, or the surprising ride quality. I took a few turns at a good clip and I just didn't have the confidence I was expecting. We still spent a long time with the salesman (that's a whole different story) working out numbers because for the right price, I think we could adjust to the different driving dynamics and much nicer interior and options. Unfortunately, it seems as though Lexus is not hurting in today's economy and does not need to negotiate the price of it's cars. The good news is that on the drive home the wife was very happy with her wagon and I get to put about $13,000 back in my pocket We'll see how she feels next week, but for now it looks like things are staying as is.

Again, thanks everyone for your time and assistance. And enjoy your very fast rides.
Thanks for the update, good luck!!!
Old 06-30-09, 08:31 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just as an FYI if you find the time you might want to test drive a newer IS, ideally with the sport package (one with the X package might be easier to find and has the same suspension albeit with less lux features)

08+ has better steering feel, and the sport package has firmer shocks/springs.

I dunno about confidence, but it puts up virtually identical slalom/skidpad numbers to a 3 series.

Last edmunds comparo I saw the 08 IS actually beats the 335i in skidpad and barely loses in slalom... and that's before the F-sport sways get thrown on
Old 06-30-09, 10:04 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bmw 'driving feel' is terribly over hyped. bmw really has a terrific marketing department. when driving my friends 3 series it was nothing special. not saying the is350 is anything special either. i just think people put way too much stock in the 'feel' of a car especially when its just a regular sedan, not talking sports cars here.
Old 07-01-09, 06:18 AM
Topshelf
Driver

Thanks for that info Kurt. I'll try to locate an '08+ after vacation to check out. But just to clarify, I'm not saying we didn't buy the IS solely because of steering feel. It's an awesome car in many respects. Just isn't worth $13k to us to get into one right now even though I found it to be more comfortable and better appointed. I was just making a few side by side comparisons based on my thoughts, and that's all they are. But for the record, as a current owner of two Bimmers, until last night I would have agreed with soupdawg. But comparing the car I drove to either of our cars, or the wife's previous E46 model, there's not even an argument to be made about how much better the BMW is as a pure drivers car. Not talking any numbers here, just how connected the car feels while driving down the road. One major example is that the steering wheel in the IS felt like a PS2 controller while the BMW's feel like they are directly connected to the wheels. Just seemed like you turn the wheel on the IS and the car will follow, but there's no communication...at all. I dunno, not trying to bash the car at all as there are so many things to love about it. If we could have agreed on the numbers, I'd most likely be driving an IS right now. I'm a car guy and have no allegiance to any maker, so saying that the BMW has better driving dynamics is just my honest opinion. And as I've learned over the years, that doesn't mean much.

Thanks again all. And unless anyone wants to continue to discuss this (I have all day), have a great holiday!
Old 07-01-09, 06:44 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by soupdawg
bmw 'driving feel' is terribly over hyped. bmw really has a terrific marketing department. when driving my friends 3 series it was nothing special. not saying the is350 is anything special either. i just think people put way too much stock in the 'feel' of a car especially when its just a regular sedan, not talking sports cars here.
I believe it is a tad overhyped, but the difference in the intention behind the engineering does exist. Honestly, its all relative, though, as my other car has the power steering removed, and feels that much more connected than any of the BMWs I've driven; but it suffers as a daily, as a result. Its all about compromise, and what level of tolerance people have for increased driving dynamics vs. ease of use.

With regard to the IS, I actually feel its compromise is pretty decent. On my scale, the previous gen TL represents the extreme of too light in the steering and road feel, by comparison.

Topshelf,

Nice update, as it just goes to show that some things aren't for everyone. Perhaps you'll take another look some day, or find what suits you and the wife better.
Old 07-01-09, 08:44 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

In this economy I would keep the extra 13k for a rainy day. Besides with dogs you're better off with a wagon instead of an IS and an extra car just to haul your dogs around.

Quick Reply: Newb looking at trading BMW for IS350...few quick questions.