IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Newb looking at trading BMW for IS350...few quick questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 07:46 AM
Topshelf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb looking at trading BMW for IS350...few quick questions.

Hey all! Was hoping you guys wouldn't mind throwing a few opinions out this morning. Quick story is I'm taking the wife to look at a CPO '06 IS350 tonight because I just don't believe these BMW's are worth the hassle anymore. She has an '06 325xi wagon that is a fun car, but there's always something wrong with it, plus it rattles and squeaks like mad. It's super practical though and she does like it when it's working right. So basically I just wanted to get some basic thoughts on your impressions of the IS. I know this is an IS forum so you guys are hopefully going to love the car, but any real world driving info, known issues to look out for, must have options, or anything else you could share would be appreciated. I've been reading the reviews and comparisons over the weekend, and while the 3 Series always comes out on top as the better sport sedan, I have to wonder where these guys find constant wide open twisty roads to drive. The roads out here in PA are garbage, and sporty driving is hard to find. So I'm really thinking a more luxurious, reliable and comfy IS might actually be the better real world option.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-09, 01:19 PM
vdubturbo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GF has a 325Ci and I can tell you I notice 3 major differences:
  • The 3-Series feels more conncected to the road, but not necessarily in a good way
  • The electronics of the IS are more "user friendly"
  • The IS is the stiffest of the Lexus models, but still provides a significant level of luxury over that of the 3-series

Granted these are all my opinions... but she is a die-hard Bimmer girl, and she admitted she likes driving the IS350 better.

All I have to say is, I'm a car nut through and through. I've built turbo engines top to bottom and I still have to read the owners manual of the 3-series every time I want to set the cruise control or the intermittent wipers. I don't think that car is very user friendly at all, even though on paper the amenities are supposedly equal.

Hope any of that helps.

:edit: Oh yeah, the IS didn't feel the least bit fatiguing to drive when I went home to Jersey... and we know those roads aren't exactly the epitome of quality. For me, the IS is the perfect combination of performance and luxury.
Old 06-29-09, 01:26 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 758 Likes on 528 Posts

If you don't like squeaks you should get a car that came out before they changed the environmental regulations. A lot of IS have squeaking problems, but I've been lucky enough not to have too many problems yet If she likes the space offered to her by the wagon, she's going to be saddened by the lack of space in the IS. Also, her wagon has AWD, does she not need that in her next car?
Old 06-29-09, 04:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The IS350 main advantages are the power, luxury and reliability. But if the BMW is still under warranty (extended), then it's hard to justify the trade.
Old 06-29-09, 04:44 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

well he said the IS is CPO so there is still a warranty on it
Old 06-29-09, 06:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
well he said the IS is CPO so there is still a warranty on it
And what (if any) is the warranty coverage on the BMW?
Old 06-29-09, 06:16 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

If you can take the exterior (and interior?) styling of the BMW, I think it's a better engineered, designed and built car. For what it's worth my BMWs have been more reliable than my Lexi. But I just could not stomach the looks of any of their curent offerings, hence the IS250!
Old 06-29-09, 06:25 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Statistically BMWs are far less reliable than Lexus vehicles... better resale too if you care bout that sorta thing (probably one leading to the other in large degree)
Old 06-29-09, 07:27 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Are you guys going to miss the extra cargo room in your 325xi wagon?
Old 06-29-09, 08:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
If you don't like squeaks you should get a car that came out before they changed the environmental regulations. A lot of IS have squeaking problems, but I've been lucky enough not to have too many problems yet If she likes the space offered to her by the wagon, she's going to be saddened by the lack of space in the IS. Also, her wagon has AWD, does she not need that in her next car?
"...before they changed the environmental regulations?" What are you referring to?

With the 2IS, it's squeaked from '06 to present. There have been no structural or engineering changes to the dash.
Old 06-29-09, 08:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Statistically BMWs are far less reliable than Lexus vehicles... better resale too if you care bout that sorta thing (probably one leading to the other in large degree)
I agree with those reliability statistics. I've followed Audi, BMW, Acura, and Lexus blog groups for years and they all have their share of rattles. But the Lexus board is the most trouble-free. Your decision all depends on what your priorities are. If a sporting ride and handling are ontop of your list, then the BMW's and Audi's (sport package) have the Lexus beat. If you want luxury and ergonomics, Lexus is tops.
Old 06-29-09, 09:21 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

If you're going to base the decision on road performance alone, I believe the BMW has the Lexus beat. But in my opinion, the Lexus has the BMW beat when it comes to luxury. Furthermore, the gadgets and electronics within the IS are much more user friendly than the BMW.

Since your wife has the wagon, is interior space an important issue? The interior space within the IS could cause a serious problem for her. Just a few things to consider. Good luck.
Old 06-29-09, 09:48 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Initial G
If you're going to base the decision on road performance alone, I believe the BMW has the Lexus beat. .
yeah maybe if you were comparing an is350 to a 335i. is350 is far better than some crappy 325 in every way possible though.
Old 06-30-09, 04:33 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

First off, in stock form, only the 335i is on par with the IS350 as far as peformance. Only untill they put twin turbos on, did the 3 series become competitive. As far as handling, yes, the 3 series does FEEL better but in actuality they are very close. The IS250 RWD (W/sport pkg) is one of the best handling sedans on the market, yes BETTER then any 3 series (maybe not the M). Also a wagon is NOT going to out handle any IS, sorry.

The BMW interior is nice but nowhere near the IS. The BMW feel hard and plain compared to the plush luxury of the IS. You only have to look at the dash and gauges to see a big difference, not to mention the leather. As far as stereos, I think the standard stereo in the IS is better then the BMW's best and the ML is far beyond anything any other car in this class offers.

As far as reliability, the fact is BMW is far down the totem pole compared to Lexus. Anybody who thinks differently is fooling themselves.

The only reason I would even consider the BMW would be because the TT 335i engine can be modded to make good HP, but the reliability issue puts the brakes on that thought. I keep vehicles many years, that is why I choose the IS and I can tell you I'm extremely pleased with this car, so far.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 06-30-09 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-30-09, 06:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 758 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
"...before they changed the environmental regulations?" What are you referring to?

With the 2IS, it's squeaked from '06 to present. There have been no structural or engineering changes to the dash.
I was talking about cars in general. They changed from the strong oil based pants to the chiptastic water based paints because of environmental regulation and they did the same with interior plastics. That's also why squeaking wasn't a problem on most cars until this latest generation.

Quick Reply: Newb looking at trading BMW for IS350...few quick questions.