IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Brought my car to the dealer to fix my foglight but now it blew again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-09, 10:01 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought my car to the dealer to fix my foglight but now it blew again.

Last week my HID foglight wasn't working. I put my foglight back to stock and brought it to the dealer. On the invoice it said:

Replaced Shorted Fuse
9033 IPS
1 90080-82052 Fuse, Mini

But yesterday, once I put on my HID Fog again, both of my foglights is not working again. Is there a problem with my HID fog? Is it drawing too much power causing my fuse to blow?

How do I replace the fuse myself? I am tired of bringing it to the dealership.
Old 07-04-09, 10:18 AM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can change the fuse in the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side. You should check all your connections for the wiring from your ballast to the wire harness. See if any wire is exposed or not properly protected.

For the fuse, its a mini one, so you would have to go back to the dealer again to purchase it. I know that it's a blue one, but forgot what number it is.
Old 07-04-09, 10:20 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tchan1
You can change the fuse in the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side. You should check all your connections for the wiring from your ballast to the wire harness. See if any wire is exposed or not properly protected.

For the fuse, its a mini one, so you would have to go back to the dealer again to purchase it. I know that it's a blue one, but forgot what number it is.
How much does it cost for the fuse?

Could this problem occur because I turned on my fog light with only one side with HID fog and the other side stock?
Old 07-04-09, 10:25 AM
htownis350
Driver

maybe it is to much amp's, do you have a Volt meter, if you did you can see if its your hid's causing it to blow, the higher the resistance the higher the current draw, but you got to be care full, in fact dont try it take it to a pro with the hid's,
if done incorectly you can place the leads in the wrong place cusing it to ark or jump could cause you! the person harm or death , take .002 amp's to stop your hearth!
there at least ten going thru.
i suggest puttin your stocks back on and replacing the fuse yourself, if it does not blow, than most likeley its your hid's ,
on your hid's see what the apm rating is you can go up on the fuse box but not to much, about 5 more amps, you dont want to burn or melt you fuse box.
good luck iam sure you will find your problem!
Old 07-04-09, 10:38 AM
htownis350
Driver

that could be it
a set of mini fuse ranges around 5 dollars
tchan1 is that you Gallegos? if not my bad
Old 07-04-09, 10:44 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You might need a relay harness. Your HID Ballast is taking too much power causing your fuse to blow.

Changing this fuse is easy and cheap. Fuses are about $5.00 for a variety pack. And it is easily accessible in the engine bay.

WARNING - do not replace your fuses with higher AMPS, which may cause serious problems to your electrical system. Use a relay harness for this problem!
Old 07-04-09, 10:45 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

If you don't get to the root of the problem (the fuse blowing), you will find yourself replacing the fuse often.
I would suggest double checking the HID kit connections. Sometimes the positive wire actually goes into the negative with some kits. Make sure everything is securely fastened.

Perhaps the ballast is defective and drawing an abnormally high amount of power
Old 07-04-09, 11:07 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ELL Y
If you don't get to the root of the problem (the fuse blowing), you will find yourself replacing the fuse often.
I would suggest double checking the HID kit connections. Sometimes the positive wire actually goes into the negative with some kits. Make sure everything is securely fastened.

Perhaps the ballast is defective and drawing an abnormally high amount of power
Would putting the positive wire to the negative side cause this problem? I think I did that and I turned on the fog and it just stopped working.

Will a relay kit solve this problem?
Old 07-04-09, 12:46 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

You can always take the HID apart and test it on your battery or preferably a power supply. Then you can switch the lead to see if it works or not. The fuse is about 5 bucks when I bought it from the dealer.

Sorry Htown, I'm not Gallegos.
Old 07-04-09, 12:57 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

QUESTION: When does the fuse blow?

Does it blow during initial start up of the ballast? (ie: within 2-3 seconds from powering on).

If so, then your existing electrical system cannot support the AMPS your ballast requires to start up.

Simple fix is to run a relay harness. A relay harness will utilize your existing foglamp outputs, either from the left or right, to switch on the power coming from your battery. On this line, i'd fuse both at 20AMP and fuse individually at 10AMP each.

Notice the our OEM FOG LAMP fuse. it is only 15AMP.

Debatable question is... how efficient is your ballast? The more efficient, then most likely PLUG&PLAY. Not so efficient older styles will BLOW YOUR FUSE!

btw, it is LOW PROFILE MINI FUSE.

See PDF..

http://www.teccor.com/data/en/Data_Sheets/897.pdf
Old 07-05-09, 08:37 AM
Tchan1
Pole Position

You do have a wire harness right Phiber? I remember your other thread saying you have one. But if you don't the wire harness should solve your problem. When my fuse blew it was because I had no wire harness. When I got my hid kit I was too impatient to wait for my wire harness to come in. So I just installed it without the harness and then a couple of days later my fuse blew. After I replaced it I installed the harness also. So no probs anymore now for 2 years.
Old 07-05-09, 09:16 AM
Is300M.Q.
Driver

Well obviously he has somthing shorted or the hid ballasts bad. Try your other ballast. You do not need to run a relay kit on these cars. Many people have done the plug and play hid fog conversion. No problems like this. Maybe try a different brand ballast.
Old 07-05-09, 11:32 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tchan1
You do have a wire harness right Phiber? I remember your other thread saying you have one. But if you don't the wire harness should solve your problem. When my fuse blew it was because I had no wire harness. When I got my hid kit I was too impatient to wait for my wire harness to come in. So I just installed it without the harness and then a couple of days later my fuse blew. After I replaced it I installed the harness also. So no probs anymore now for 2 years.
What is a wire harness? Actually I don't think I have one.
Old 07-05-09, 12:10 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just replace the fuse with a bigger amp fuse. ie, if the fog fuse is a 10A, replace it with a 20 or 30
Old 07-05-09, 01:31 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-F...lenotsupported

Here you go, that should solve your problem.

Quick Reply: Brought my car to the dealer to fix my foglight but now it blew again.