IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Discontinued Lexus Remote Start (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 07:00 PM
skorpio
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start - that has been beaten to death...

Do we have a working remote start yet? Seems that this subject had dissapeared. I found this at lexus-parts. Does it mean that it works on US-spec IS?

http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_det...id=90066&all=Y

regards, Bart.
Old 01-16-08, 06:34 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

God I wish they'd take that page down. There's literally dozens of threads on the various IS forums about that part, which isn't available and doesn't work on US cars.
Old 01-16-08, 08:14 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Kurtz
God I wish they'd take that page down. There's literally dozens of threads on the various IS forums about that part, which isn't available and doesn't work on US cars.
Actually, to MY knowledge, it has never been tested on a US Spec IS..

So we really don't know if it works..

Joe Z
Old 01-16-08, 08:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I can tell you that a Toyota remote start part works on a Camry with Smart Key and that was 1.5 years ago.
I had one dealer installed and it worked fine.The only thing about a Toyota install that stinks is the unit shuts the car off when unlocking the door.Toyota says it's a safety issue.
Old 01-16-08, 09:03 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I can tell you that a Toyota remote start part works on a Camry with Smart Key and that was 1.5 years ago.
I had one dealer installed and it worked fine.The only thing about a Toyota install that stinks is the unit shuts the car off when unlocking the door.Toyota says it's a safety issue.
so you are saying that you have the camry remote start in your IS and it works with no issues??? tell us more please!
1. what does it use for the key FOB?
2. do you have to cary around 2 fobs??
3. how much was it??

Skorpio...if we can get this and it works thru a Toyota dealer im also in IL and will go in on this with you! the one from lexus hasnt been confirmed to work or not. all we know is it works on Jap models and its 500$ for everything if i recall but lexus wont back it up so you may kill up to 900$ after install and stuff for nothing. I do know of an aftermarket place that can do it if you choose to go that direction. you do have to cary 2 key fobs and it will kill the car when you open the door. they do use on of your fobs to allow this to work so either loose a key fob or have to purchase an extra one. hope that brings you up to speed. please PM me if you do find one thru a toyota dealer and hope they will give us a better deal if we go in together.
thanks,
Old 01-16-08, 09:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by passnu2
so you are saying that you have the camry remote start in your IS and it works with no issues??? tell us more please!
3. how much was it??

Skorpio...if we can get this and it works thru a Toyota dealer im also in IL and will go in on this with you! the one from lexus hasnt been confirmed to work or not. all we know is it works on Jap models and its 500$ for everything if i recall but lexus wont back it up so you may kill up to 900$ after install and stuff for nothing. I do know of an aftermarket place that can do it if you choose to go that direction. you do have to cary 2 key fobs and it will kill the car when you open the door. they do use on of your fobs to allow this to work so either loose a key fob or have to purchase an extra one. hope that brings you up to speed. please PM me if you do find one thru a toyota dealer and hope they will give us a better deal if we go in together.
thanks,
I had the unit in a '07 Camry with Smart Key..The unit worked off the Toyota FOB off the lock button.I negotiated the cost when buying the Camry and paid $550.They wanted $750.
I really don't understand why the same Toyota part remote start isn't available on the IS.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-16-08 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-16-08, 09:12 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the unit in a '07 Camry with Smart Key..The unit worked off the Toyota FOB off the lock button.I negogiated the cost when buying the Camry and paid $550.They wanted $750.
I really don't understand why the same Toyota part remote start isn't available on the IS.
im sure it is...what i find more interesting is that a lexus dealer hasnt tried this to make some big $$$ on a new car they sell...i know i would have been all over it. do you know what the part # was by chance? i may go and see if the lexus dealer will try it for me and be the car to find out so long they take care of me on the part so i can sell it on ebay or something....
thanks for the reply! there must be a way to figure this out with out the aftermarket road...
Old 01-16-08, 09:12 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

3. how much was it??
I pretty sure he is NOT saying that at all...

He said:

"I can tell you that a Toyota remote start part works on a Camry with Smart Key and that was 1.5 years ago."
Old 01-16-08, 09:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

im sure it is...what i find more interesting is that a lexus dealer hasnt tried this to make some big $$$ on a new car they sell...i know i would have been all over it. do you know what the part # was by chance? i may go and see if the lexus dealer will try it for me and be the car to find out so long they take care of me on the part so i can sell it on ebay or something....
thanks for the reply! there must be a way to figure this out with out the aftermarket road...
My IS was my daughter's car.I was with her when she bought the car.She wanted remote start and the dealer said it isn't available because of Smart Key.I then said I have a '07 Camry XLE with Smart Key and a Toyota part remote start and he called the service manager.The Service manager says Lexus does not install remote start even if it's a Toyota part.If I'm not mistaken I think he recommended letting my toyota dealer do it if she wanted it.
I looked on my Camry bill and all it says is Toyota Remote Start.I don't have the part#.I had the instruction on operation of the unit but that paperwork went with the sale of the Camry.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-16-08 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-16-08, 09:24 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

The Starter is an available OEM option in other countries like Lexus Japan...

The reason its not in the USA Line up is the Lexus Lawyers said "NO THANK YOU" when it came up for approval.

Joe Z
Old 01-16-08, 11:04 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My IS was my daughter's car.I was with her when she bought the car.
Have her bundle up and go out and start the car manually like her ancestors did for many years. It'll build her character.

When I lived in South Dakota in the 70's there wasn't such a thing as remote start. You just learned to go out, scape the windows and start the car on cold, cold mornings. I recently spent three winters in Canada and my car didn't have remote start. No big deal, never thought about it. Funny how even young-ish people today don't want any inconvenience in life. Just an observation on human nature and where we are going. No flames please.
Old 01-16-08, 11:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Have her bundle up and go out and start the car manually like her ancestors did for many years. It'll build her character.

When I lived in South Dakota in the 70's there wasn't such a thing as remote start. You just learned to go out, scape the windows and start the car on cold, cold mornings. I recently spent three winters in Canada and my car didn't have remote start. No big deal, never thought about it. Funny how even young-ish people today don't want any inconvenience in life. Just an observation on human nature and where we are going. No flames please.

It's now my car and I've had remote start on my last few vehicles,including the wife's RAV4.It's like A/C...a must.

Not So Dakota or Canada here but cold enough at times and I'm not youngish...at least age wise.
Old 01-16-08, 11:16 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

The JDM Lexus remote start has never been tested on a USDM 2nd generation IS.

I'm in the process of testing this in the next couple of months, but right now it doesn't look good. From comparing the Lexus remote starter for the JDM GS to the wiring for the USDM GS, it's completely different. To make things worse, the unit that's being tested doesn't come with any instructions for installation, so it's going to be quite a task to get this to work. There's also an issue that I've heard of where the Toyota Japan OEM remote starters kill the engine once the door is opened - which kind of defeats the purpose of remote start to begin with. Hopefully, this isn't the case with the Lexus units...

Javier
Old 01-16-08, 11:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by javyLSU
. There's also an issue that I've heard of where the Toyota Japan OEM remote starters kill the engine once the door is opened - which kind of defeats the purpose of remote start to begin with. Hopefully, this isn't the case with the Lexus units...

Javier
I posted that earlier.That's how it was on the Camry with Smart Key and my wife's Toyota remote start in the RAV4.Start the car,then when you unlock the door,it stalls.Silly BS.
The dealer says it's a Toyota safety thing and that's the way they have to do the install.
My previous remote starts,including a Toyota installed unit had the engine stall when the brake pedal is stepped on.You can't shift into gear without stepping on the brake so I don't know what safety issue Toyota is talking about.
Seems the safety thing started about two years ago.
Old 10-29-08, 07:43 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Remote Start available?

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...d=187262&all=Y

It's available for the LX 570. Possible to integrate it to our 2IS?

Quick Reply: Discontinued Lexus Remote Start (merged threads)