IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

front license plate questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 01:02 PM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take it off n throw it in the trunk or leave it on..windshield mounting it is a dumb ideaa
Old 07-08-09, 01:10 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess no one likes my Zip-tie to lower grille idea lol
Old 07-08-09, 01:50 PM
Overdose
Driver School Candidate

putting it on ur dashboard is just a bad idea in general. in the event that you are in a frontal collision that thing will slice your head off.
Old 07-08-09, 02:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Overdose
putting it on ur dashboard is just a bad idea in general. in the event that you are in a frontal collision that thing will slice your head off.
I agree, bad idea.

But the slice your head off stuff, not sure that's ever happened, might make a good urban legend.
Old 07-08-09, 02:54 PM
outlaws
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS-SV
But the slice your head off stuff, not sure that's ever happened, might make a good urban legend.
It's quite possible with the airbags deploying
Old 07-08-09, 03:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by outlaws
It's quite possible with the airbags deploying
It's also possible to win the lottery, not likely.
Old 07-08-09, 05:32 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Varies by state, so check. In California, I've seen less and less cars w/o a front plate over the years. If you don't have one, it's going to stand out a bit more. When cops and CHP look for a reason to pull someone over (who may be driving okay), it's usually no front plate or front window tinting. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. What worries me is the drive home after dinner or a club and a beverage has been consumed. Don't want any reason to get an "interview," no matter how legal things are.
This is so true. This is what I'm always worried about when I'm driving home after a night out in the city.
Old 07-08-09, 11:52 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

either keep it on the front of the car or take it off. having it in the front window is illegal anyways and dangerous if it goes flying. either go all the way or dont do it at alll. for the record i got pulled over for speeding earlier this year and cop let me go for everything but the front license plate not being there. he let me go for front window tint, smoked tails and reflectors, and the fact that my car is slammed very very low.
Old 07-09-09, 08:55 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

I dont have my front plate on but only because thats how lexus gave me the car no bracket installed so its been 3 years no problem yet. (Knock on wood)
Old 07-09-09, 08:59 AM
07SGM
Driver School Candidate

Just move to PA, you don't have to have one here
Old 07-09-09, 09:28 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If you don't have one, it's going to stand out a bit more. When cops and CHP look for a reason to pull someone over (who may be driving okay), it's usually no front plate or front window tinting.
+1. I was driving the speed limit through a heavily populated policed area [it's the only road I can take to my stables] and the cop busted a you-turn and pulled me over and just started to interview me; "Have you ever been arrested? Are you carrying any drugs I should know about?" and really checked my car over, checked to see if the tint was legal, ect. They, at least here in Texas, will use your front plate definitely as an excuse to run a check on your driving record, ect. He let me go because my "record was completely clean".

Cops will pull you over if they want to. They will find reason. Hahaha.

Don't put it on your dash; still illegal. Asked the cop if I could do that and he was like 'It's better than nothing, but still not ok...' Not to mention it distracts the front of your car even worse than a license plate in the correct place, in my opinion. I've noticed that are dashes scratch kind of easily, also...
Old 07-09-09, 09:45 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Things like this make me glad to be in AZ, where I can have no front plate and 5% tint all around and not be bothered.
Old 07-09-09, 12:42 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tex2670
"Stupid" cop for writing tickets for not following the law?
"Stupid" cop for stopping someone over a $15 fix it ticket when they could be catching someone else for a higher fine during the same period of time. If an officer stops you for no front plate it will take at least 15 minutes of their time. Why do we accept our tax dollars going towards fix it tickets vs. speeding, or more serious violations? There is nothing unsafe about a lack of front license plate. Red light cameras take a picture of the front and back of the car, and an officer who chooses to use laser will just shoot for your windshield instead of a front plate. The law should be changed.
Old 07-24-09, 03:31 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here in Dallas I just had an experince very similar to Karashas stop.
Officer admitted that he pulled me over only due to no plate & ran me thru the ringer for awhile. Searched my car, which I was fine with.

One of the reason I drive my older LS is to not attract attention. If those are the "new rules" in Dallas then I am going to abide. It has been on the books forever but never enforced.

Took a newer than I drive LS 430 to Stewarts Body Shop in Dallas & they installed 2 nutserts in the bumper & mounted the plate. They even got out a small brush & touched up 2 nicks in the door for free! Nice place they had 5 Ferrari's in for repair today including a 246 Dino, a 365 Daytona & a 330 GT.

My LS400 will get the nutserts installed in the bumber tomorrow.
Old 08-15-09, 01:45 PM
mr.intel
Driver School Candidate

What if you don't have your front license plate on, but you still have the dealer registration paper taped to your windsheild? does that make any difference? (i'm in Cali btw)

Quick Reply: front license plate questions