IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

dealerships tagging cars as modded?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 11:44 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the dealer going to do if it is modified? i guarantee if your car is modified and you go there and you pay them to a service as long as they can get it onto the lift or rack they will take your $$ just the same as if you were bone stock. my local dealer has almost no cars that are modified that go there, the service guys confirmed that. my car is pretty obviously modified.
Old 07-09-09, 12:28 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
what is the dealer going to do if it is modified? i guarantee if your car is modified and you go there and you pay them to a service as long as they can get it onto the lift or rack they will take your $$ just the same as if you were bone stock. my local dealer has almost no cars that are modified that go there, the service guys confirmed that. my car is pretty obviously modified.
They will take your money all the same, true, however if your warranty gets voided they'll just be taking a whole lot more of it - that's the "issue."
Old 07-09-09, 01:13 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

im sure its been discussed before, but go look it up...if you need to go check out the sema site. just because your car is modified doesnt mean they can void your warranty. if you lower your car for example and the radio has an issue they cant say that the lowering caused it and not fix it. they would have to prove that whatever modification they are questioning was the direct cause for something to go bad or need repairs. the point is that if you want to have a modified cars there will be things that you will have to deal with, but on the same token you should know your rights and make sure the dealers or other shops dont try to rip you off or blow you off, because your car is modified. if you cant handle these things then maybe modifying your car is not for you.
Old 07-09-09, 02:04 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

"mod"-tagged or not, if you're on good, friendly terms with your service advisor, you can get just about everything warranty-related settled quickly.

on the other hand, if your car is being handled by a service advisor who's writing your car up for the very first time, or if you're not on good terms with your service advisor, expect some issues.
Old 07-09-09, 04:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
im sure its been discussed before, but go look it up...if you need to go check out the sema site. just because your car is modified doesnt mean they can void your warranty. if you lower your car for example and the radio has an issue they cant say that the lowering caused it and not fix it. they would have to prove that whatever modification they are questioning was the direct cause for something to go bad or need repairs. the point is that if you want to have a modified cars there will be things that you will have to deal with, but on the same token you should know your rights and make sure the dealers or other shops dont try to rip you off or blow you off, because your car is modified. if you cant handle these things then maybe modifying your car is not for you.
This.

The entire thread is a non-issue.

If your mod broke something the dealer -should- charge you for it.

If your mod isn't the cause it's illegal for them to not fix it free under warranty.

So logging your mods has no relevance to anything but paranoia.

I've owned cars modded FAR more than the 2IS is capable of being modded and had unrelated stuff fixed under warranty without issue...as should you.

If you're still paranoid just insure you've read, and understand, the Mangunson-Moss warranty act and you should be fine.
Old 07-09-09, 07:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, non-issue, not worth worrying about.
Old 07-09-09, 08:14 AM
tmaung
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the tagging is a nation wide database. Check your lexus owners account and look for the service history. I found service information on my car from the previous owner. Sometimes, it is a good way to check there first before buying a Lexus if you know the VIN so that you can see if the car had been maintained properly.
Old 07-09-09, 09:15 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about the national database but it will definitely stay at the specific dealership where it is noted. Depending on which program the dealership uses it will pop up as soon as they go into your vehicle through the VIN or license plate, whatever. I know at our dealership we don't really care for modifications UNLESS it has to do w/ the specific complaint then we start declining authorization to repair. But we have to determine whether or not the modified component was the root cause of failure.

My car is modded too so I don't really dish out grief to people who bring their cars in modified. But when they come in w/ their modified cars flashin' their diamond rings, dressed up in nice clothes and then have the nerve to ask for a discount, it all goes South from there. buncha ******.
Old 07-09-09, 09:27 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

they have to honor the warranty by law. as other have said, unless they can directly relate your mod to the cause of the problem, they have to honor your warranty.

look up the magnum moss warranty act
Old 07-09-09, 09:33 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sinister2c
i dont know why any dealership would deny warranty claims. If it is a faulty OEM part and the car is under warranty, Lexus Corp pays for it anyway. .
We can't go warranty-happy and just fix 50,000 items on cars without the customer complaining about things. Unless they are safety items or items that are detrimental to the integrity of the engine/transmission warranty claims can be debitted back to the dealership. Meaning the dealer pays out their own *** without Corp. reimbursing for parts+labor. In addition to that, dealerships are being watched as to which repairs are being done too often and there's a rating for that too. There are so many factors into why dealerships deny warranty claims, these are just a few because I don't want to put out a laundry list.