IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Salvage

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 11:03 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Depending on why it was salvaged the buy could be great or awful. I've heard of mystery wiring problems on salvage cars, mystery alignment issues, and other problems you can't afford to pay someone to solve.

Some salvage titled cars are perfect for what you want. If the car was stolen and partially stripped (say interior and some bodywork) but the chassis and suspension are straight and intact, you might have a basically perfect car you can finish with junkyard parts and have a really inexpensive 2IS. Or a perfect car to build into a track monster. Or...

But, your resale will be difficult and few people are interested in salvage titled vehicles because lenders won't finance them, and insurance companies don't like to put full coverage on a salvage titled car.

If you can do all the work yourself, awesome! You could have a great daily driver for years to come at a bargain price.
Old 07-12-09, 12:32 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure it dosent have a bent chassi damage otherwards you are screwed and if your getting the nav with it then be ready to pay big money if that breaksdown. look around you can prob find a used is250 06 with 30 - 33k miles on it with nav try private sellers i just bought mine from someone for 23,500 32k miles with nav SGM my car has a few deep scrathes still trying to figure out how to fix those without paint but even if have to paint the few panels that require it ill still save in the long run by avoiding any major problems. other than the scrathes my title clean no accidents nothing just look around craiglist, autotrader look for private party sellers
Old 07-12-09, 02:31 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2009LEX
hey even a blind squirrel finds a nut right? j/k

why was your car salvaged? At least it makes more sense to mod a salvaged car with no warranty than a new car with a factory warranty. I never thought of that before but it's a good idea.
Well I wanted to get a car to modify visually because I have a motorcycle for my speed cravings. Bought it for around 16k, put 1400 into labor, about 900 in parts. After it was fixed, I han ECU issue that I took to the dealer, they did TSIB's and an inspection. Everything checked out alright. I have a two year old lexus for under 19000, with 15k miles. Going to try and drive this thing around for a while. I just got a nice raise at work, in the next two years I may want to upgrade to an IS-F or buy a used C6 vette + supercharger. But I plan on keeping the IS250 for atleast the next 5 years.

I certainly will not buy a salvage vehicle again though, the time that it takes to fix the car, get it titled, go through your state patrol inspection, get your plates is a painful process, and that's the reason why I won't buy one again, I may buy a rebuilt car, but never salvage.
Old 07-13-09, 08:14 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked SC
People are always quick to give Salvaged/Rebuilt cars a bad wrap? In a lot of the posts that I've read here everyone is saying that a salvage car costs too much to repair? Does that mean that the parts for a salvage car cost more than a clean title car? It doesn't matter what title the vehicle has, they all costs the same to repair.

If you're going to purchase a salvage vehicle, the only way it would be worht your while is:
(1) Make sure that you're geting it for a good price
(2) If your plans are to keep it for awhile and have no plans of reselling it.

Just my .02...
I could add one more.

(3) Get quotes for the parts and labor to repair the car. If that plus the cost of the vehicle come close to how much a used none salvage IS X50 would cost then it's not worth it.
Old 07-13-09, 01:39 PM
ahmer9800
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DJSirkit13
make sure it dosent have a bent chassi damage otherwards you are screwed and if your getting the nav with it then be ready to pay big money if that breaksdown. look around you can prob find a used is250 06 with 30 - 33k miles on it with nav try private sellers i just bought mine from someone for 23,500 32k miles with nav SGM my car has a few deep scrathes still trying to figure out how to fix those without paint but even if have to paint the few panels that require it ill still save in the long run by avoiding any major problems. other than the scrathes my title clean no accidents nothing just look around craiglist, autotrader look for private party sellers
Yeah, but see you wasted 23,500$ on your car and it had 32k miles on the clock.
Now if i waste 10k on a car with 16k miles on the clock, and just as a difference of 13,500$ that i saved on buying my car (but it's a salvage)
can't i use that much money onto repairing the car?
13k looks like quite a bit of money to me..

Is repairing Lexus' really that expensive?
I wish somone could answer that for me.

here are the pictures of the car (detailed pictures)
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...mer9800/32.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...mer9800/29.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...mer9800/27.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...mer9800/26.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...mer9800/21.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...mer9800/20.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...mer9800/16.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...mer9800/15.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...mer9800/12.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/ahmer9800/8.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/ahmer9800/7.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/ahmer9800/2.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/ahmer9800/1.jpg

And it also has 2 air bags deployed.
Driver's Side: Steering, and knee.

Any idea on the cost to repair that?

Last edited by ahmer9800; 07-13-09 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 01:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by ahmer9800
Yeah, but see you wasted 23,500$ on your car and it had 32k miles on the clock.
Now if i waste 10k on a car with 16k miles on the clock, and just as a difference of 13,500$ that i saved on buying my car (but it's a salvage)
can't i use that much money onto repairing the car?
13k looks like quite a bit of money to me..

Is repairing Lexus' really that expensive?
I wish somone could answer that for me.
Repairing to what standard? OEM fit, finish, and function? Yes, it's very expensive. Why do you think they totaled the car in the first place?

The only way you're going to beat the cost of fixing the car is if you work free. Then it's a labor of love on your part and worth it all. Otherwise, you spend the full $13k and have a car worth a lot less because the title is a salvage title. Even if the repairs are perfect.
Old 07-13-09, 02:22 PM
07B&T
Driver School Candidate

Don't mess around with salvage, you will only end up regretting it later.

Now if it were an older car, something you really didn't put much cash into, that's different. My 96 Acura Integra GSR I got back in 2003 was a salvage title but I got it at a steal, was an awesome car. I was able to resell it for a decent price because it was a popular car and still ran like a champ when I sold it. I still miss that car...nothing like an 8100rpm redline screaming through the gears.
Old 07-13-09, 06:57 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Damn son! that thing is messed the f up! DO NOT BUY IT.
Mine had minimal damage, nothing like this, and there was shops quoting me $5500-$6500, i cant imagine what you'd get quoted on that. Even if you go my route and get every damaged main component on your own and have the shop order whatever you cant find - i think you can find a nice used IS250 for that price.
Old 07-14-09, 11:21 PM
ahmer9800
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexasaurus
Damn son! that thing is messed the f up! DO NOT BUY IT.
Mine had minimal damage, nothing like this, and there was shops quoting me $5500-$6500, i cant imagine what you'd get quoted on that. Even if you go my route and get every damaged main component on your own and have the shop order whatever you cant find - i think you can find a nice used IS250 for that price.
damn it, really?
i was hoping to get the parts myself from salvage lexus dealers, and just giving it to the shop to build it, etc.
would that still be expensive?
I loked on ebay and a hood costs around 350$, front bumper costs, 250$
and the lights and grill cost another 100$

And idk how much a tie rod replacement is (my friends said that a person can do it himself, but it's VERY time consuming and could destroy the alignment)

but anyways if the parts are that cheap, would the labor still be hard?
Note: i'm keeping this car, not reselling it, and if i do, do people really look for OEM parts on the cars? O_O
is it really that bad of a thing to have an after market part?
Old 07-15-09, 12:00 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think you've really thought this through. First off. Buying a car off ebay never sounds good to me. And from those pictures looks like some excessive front end damage, so it might not just be cosmetic repairs. Problems could go alot further then that. Airbags deployed too? Thats just too much damage. I mean i would be skeptical on buying a car thats just had a fender bender, but thats just me.

damn it, really?
i was hoping to get the parts myself from salvage lexus dealers, and just giving it to the shop to build it, etc.
would that still be expensive?
I loked on ebay and a hood costs around 350$, front bumper costs, 250$
and the lights and grill cost another 100$

And idk how much a tie rod replacement is (my friends said that a person can do it himself, but it's VERY time consuming and could destroy the alignment)

but anyways if the parts are that cheap, would the labor still be hard?
Note: i'm keeping this car, not reselling it, and if i do, do people really look for OEM parts on the cars? O_O
is it really that bad of a thing to have an after market part?
Old 07-15-09, 12:31 PM
snoopee220
Driver School Candidate

Just thought would throw in my 2 cents, I got my salvaged 07 IS350 from copart (its an auction) and it cost me 7500. I bought a donor car for 6500 that had all the parts I needed. I sold the donor car back to at auction and got back 6000. I paid 1K for paint of front fender, hood and side skirts. It has 22K miles on it and its been good so far. As a bonus I was able to convert my non-nav to ML Nav thnx to 350PsDMeuP write up. Its not a bad investment, knock on wood.
Old 07-15-09, 04:11 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

damn it, really?
Labor is going to cost you a pretty penny, no one does quality work cheap, and when you have damage of this magnitude, you need to be sure that the vehicle will be fixed correctly.

As far as aftermarket parts, any shop will quote you $900+ dollars for each headlight if you want to go the HID route, or you can go the xenon route, but those are still at around $250-300 each then you can get HID's. I was lucky enough to grab both HID headlights off a forum member here for cheap, but that was purely luck (Thanks again , The front bumper cover is about $250 unpainted, don't forget everything that behind this bumper, a stock grill costs around $100-150, foglights will be like $150ish, and this is just the outside of the front of the car, looks to me like there is more damage than just this.

On top of that, State Highway Patrol is going to need an invoice and receipt for every single nut and bolt that you replaced, and ebay invoices and pay pal receipts are not good enough proof for them, i have an issue right now where i bought a front bumper off ebay and headlights from a forum member, and they don't want to pass me on inspection because i dont have proof that they were not stolen or acquired in some shady way.

It's a b*tch a half to get a salvage vehicle titled and plated, i've been waiting to get plates since March!
Old 07-15-09, 07:44 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the airbags deployed the front frame rails probably have some damage. Some of the SRS sensors are mounted on those rails and are made to trigger the airbag once they sense movement on the rails.