Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 11:09 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil888
Here you go.. 8000K low beam, 10000K high beam and 3000K Yellow HID fogs

thos look nice a couple of questions for you though
1. How did you wire the HIDs for the High Beams?
2. Do your DRls still work with that setup?

General Qs
1. Can you just change the bulbs ex. 6k to 8k when ever you want or do you have to buy a diff kit?
2. where did you buy your kits from and how much did you pay? ( since im gonna be buying atleast 2 kits at the same time want to get a good deal dont want anything super exp.)
3. What brands work the best?

Last edited by DJSirkit13; 07-12-09 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-14-09, 09:29 AM
DJSirkit13
Driver

anybody able to answer these Q's for me would be really helpful

Thankyou
Old 07-14-09, 09:48 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DJSirkit13
anybody able to answer these Q's for me would be really helpful

Thankyou
Typically, you don't run HIDs on high beams. The very nature of how they warm up and increase in intensity makes their use as high beams very, very limited

If he does have HIDs in his high beams, no. DRLs send reduced current, and this would never be sufficient to power an HID capsule.

General Qs
1. Can you just change the bulbs ex. 6k to 8k when ever you want or do you have to buy a diff kit?
Yes. Bulb changes are all the same. Aftermarket ballasts all use the same AMP to D4s/D2s connectors anyway.

2. where did you buy your kits from and how much did you pay? ( since im gonna be buying atleast 2 kits at the same time want to get a good deal dont want anything super exp.)

Try DDMtuning.com. I run several of their kits with no problems. Lifetime guarantees too. Or, go with some of the forum vendors (MobileHID, xenondepot are selling some pretty competitively priced kits as well).

Aftermarket is aftermarket. In my experience, most if not all kits are built to roughly the same standards. As such, I don't care what HID kit I get, and refuse to pay top dollar for any HID kit when most of them are produced in the same few facilities and repackaged with fancy advertising.
If you want "best", you would opt for OEM manufacturers such as Osram and Philips. Bulbs from these manufacturers last much longer than aftermarket and typically have zero problems. (As opposed to many kit bulbs blowing out, flickering, etc). Their color temperature is also more accurate , and don't vary much from batch to batch. (I've had a variety of 6000K new HID bulbs from different HID kit manufacturers and sometimes the SAME sellers look completely different - sometimes I wonder how they arrive at their color designations).

Anyway, the downside to OEM bulbs is that they come mostly as 4300K to 5000K color temperatures. Blue bulbs are illegal in the United States, so finding OEM 6000K bulbs (Like the Philips Ultinon) is both difficult and VERY expensive.
Old 07-14-09, 09:57 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
hey Phil, so you got 10000k high beam, right?
how's the visibility when your high beam is on? better than stock yellow ones?
I've been wanting to upgrade my high beams...
Damn those suckers are super super bright!!! lolz but the worst thing about having these, they make your DRL's flickers when you turn on and off the car. lolz Seriously I just have them on to mess with people
Old 07-14-09, 10:00 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

General Qs
Its a simple wiring procedure, you just gotta remove the bumper and its plug and play. I order the kits from M1 motorsports... And yeah i know you can get everything for around 300 bucks for low beams, high beams and fogs. Brands are whatevers to me, as long as they work its all good
Old 07-14-09, 10:04 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Another 8K low and 3k Fog user here!. Its untouchable baby! lol
Old 07-15-09, 03:54 AM
DJSirkit13
Driver

one last question
i have oem halogen headlights. and the DRLs stay on even at night when my low beams come on is there anyway to have them turn of when the low beams come on at night?
Old 07-15-09, 07:53 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one last question
i have oem halogen headlights. and the DRLs stay on even at night when my low beams come on is there anyway to have them turn of when the low beams come on at night?
Those aren't the DRL's that stay on, what you see on is the parking light. It's a 194 bulb, which you can replace with a 194 LED to match your new HID look.
Old 07-15-09, 10:08 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

one last question
I think they're always on. You could just remove them if you don't like them, and that way they won't turn on (They have no other functionality)
Old 07-15-09, 04:46 PM
four o two
Intermediate

I swear there's a new LED/HID thread every 5 minutes on this stupid board. Some people really need to educate themselves. The higher you go in Kelvin, the less light (lumens) you'll have. Practically anything over 6k is really a waste if you're at all concerned with your safety and brightness of lighting. What's the best temp? 4100-4300k. It has the most output out of all the HID bulbs produced. That's why car manufacturers still use them today. Check the graph:

A 4100/4300K bulb outputs roughly 3200lm, compared to a 55W halogen which is a little over 1000 at best. 6000K bulbs are ~2400lm and 8000K are less than 2000lm. A lot of things people don't take into consideration are the fact that blue light on black pavement isn't a good combination for light refraction back into your eyes. The bluer the light, the more stressful it actually is to your eyes, due to its wavelength.
Old 07-16-09, 05:36 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

k dwn to 2 kits both same price $180 shipped. just dont know which one to go with tryed playing iny mini miny mo. not working still cant pick one. PLEASE HELP here.

1st
MobileHID.com kit
pros
heavy duty
Waterproof
survives blows from a hammer.
Plug & Play

cons
1 yr warranty only
no reviews about them on how long they last or if any problems with the kit.

Kit Includes
2 HID bulbs
2 Ballasts
1 Plug and play wiring harness with fuse and relay wired inline
1 Easy to follow installation and wiring diagram.

2nd
McCulloch HID kit from Xenonpros.com
pros
Name Brand
2 yr warranty
has reviews
Plug & Play

Cons
not durrable
warranty voided if water damage occurs.

Kit Includes
(2) Gen V. McCulloch Ballast
(2) Bosch/McCulloch Xenon Bulb
(2) Connector
(10) Wire ties
(2) Heavy duty heat resistant double sided self adhesive tapes
Old 07-16-09, 07:33 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

get them through mobileHID.com. cliffud @ mobileHID is a stand-up guy (funny to boot), and if you have any issues you can just shoot him a PM.
Old 07-17-09, 06:51 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

anymore opinions it would help alot

thankyou in advance for all your help ppl
Old 07-17-09, 08:35 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

get the garax bulbs. If you search garax it has many positive review for the 2IS.

I wasn't sure about mobilehid.com since many people had problems with his bulbs. I heard a few stories that the bulbs flicker or it turns green etc..instead I went with HIDEXTRA one of our vendors that sells d4s bulbs for $85 and HID fog light kit for only $60. I only heard positive reviews about them and comes with 2 year warranty. I will let you guys know how it goes when I install it.
Old 07-17-09, 11:18 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

they only make d4s bulbs im switching from a halogen setup i need h11 bulbs

any reviews on the McCulloch kit
heard those are real good and it has a 2yr warranty on bulbs and ballast

Quick Reply: SGM HID kit colors