IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

iPhone ashtray integration solution....maybe

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 02:48 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Schuchert
I am coincidentally working with them on a prototype now. I contacted them about one for our cars but they didn't have one available yet. Since I couldn't drive to Atlanta to have them measure my car, I had them ship me the parts for me to measure. The plan is for me to send them back my ashtray insert and the dock parts and cable they sent me for them to create the mold for the insert. The part I have to measure is the angle for the iPhone/iPod to make sure it will fit at a slight angle and not lay against the console/dash. So far it does. The thing that might be tight is the fat 120gb iPod as it is much thicker and probably will want to touch the console.

I am currently waiting on a new cable as the first one they sent caused my Vais to have a lot of static/feedback that isn't there without their cable. It really isn't their fault either as the cable was from another manufacturer and was still in it's original package. They had not tried their cables (either manufacturer) with a Vais unit yet so I wanted to make sure the video will continue to work before we went any farther.
I actually made one myself, a plastic mold that fits exactly into the ashtray cup. I made that for Tomtom portable GPS I had with another IS car. It's actually very easy to make with small plastic pebbles that can be found in jewelry stores to make your own jewelry for kids. They melt in hot water and can be form to any shape and hardened in room temperature. I'll post a pic if I can find that piece.
Old 08-14-09, 09:39 PM
Schuchert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rebs
Any update on this yet? I noticed they don't have a product for the IS350 yet. I would love that ashtray adapter. :-)
I got a message from this week that they had finished the prototype and were expecting to get it shipped to me by the end of the week which I assume would be today. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to call them today to get a tracking number. I'll try and post some pics of it when it comes in.
Old 08-16-09, 12:34 PM
kbkura
Driver

Wow, this is so exciting. I've been hoping this kind of product would come out soon. I'm definitely subscribed and interested in a group buy if possible!
Old 08-26-09, 07:48 PM
Schuchert
Driver School Candidate

I finally (FINALLY!) got the dock in today!

I used a dremel to cut a port in the bottom of the astray well so the cable could pass through. After the dock was seated in the ashtray compartment it was simply a matter of plugging their cable into my Vais cable and putting everything back. The dock cable is hardwired into the dock on one end and the other end has a female 30 pin ipod connector. The cool part is the dock cable also did the 12v->5v conversion so the extra Vais voltage adapter wasn't needed to charge the iPhone. The dock is very hard molded plastic that fits down in the spot where the ashtray insert would go. It has 2 strips of crazy strong 2-sided tape on the bottom to hold it in place in the ashtray well.

So far, I think it looks amazing. I did a quick loop around the block and my iPhone didn't move a bit. I didn't get a chance to take pics yet but I will tomorrow and post them up here for you to see.

The best part is getting out of the car and closing the astray cover and watching the iPod/iPhone dock slowly go stealth.
Old 08-27-09, 01:27 AM
kicks
Rookie

Subscribed! I'm so excited to see the results
Old 08-27-09, 03:23 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

The best part is getting out of the car and closing the astray cover and watching the iPod/iPhone dock slowly go stealth.
What do you mean by that? The tray can go up and down automatically like Jaguar XK shift **** or this was just your wish? Where can I buy the iPhone dock?
Old 08-27-09, 03:31 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

omg thats so sexy....any news on when it's going to be in production??
Old 08-27-09, 03:46 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

thanks a lot!! can't wait for this
Old 08-27-09, 04:00 PM
kbkura
Driver

Sweet... looks amazing! I just e-mailed the company indicating my interest... hopefully they'll make them ASAP. I suggest everyone else who's interested in purchasing them do the same so they'll step on it. Great job Schuchert... does it really not move at all when driving around? That's fairly impressive considering it's just sitting on its pins...
Old 08-28-09, 08:15 AM
SpaceCadet
Driver

So this only works if we already have a Vais installed? Isnt it redundant to have this AND the Vais since you can control the iPod on the Vais? I thought this would be a solution for folks without any iPod integration installed and just want to be able to view/listen to their ipod in a "stealth" package. It would be nice if there are +/- and aux outputs.
Old 08-28-09, 02:26 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

$149??? TOO EXPENSIVE!!! I thought it will be like $30-$40.
Old 08-28-09, 04:08 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha Id forget it was there and launch the car... and the ipod into the back seat
Old 08-28-09, 04:41 PM
kbkura
Driver

Originally Posted by dojoman
$149??? TOO EXPENSIVE!!! I thought it will be like $30-$40.
I certainly hope it's not going to be THAT expensive.
Old 08-28-09, 07:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built my own using an iPod dock and a few household items and tools, less than a few dollars and a few hours. I never has use for the cup holder and I used the front ashtray to hold money, lottery tickets, etc. My solution charges the iPod at all times, looks pretty good, allow me to hold add'l items like my phone....but I have to lean a little bit to see the iPod screen (when the backlight is off) and I have to squeeze to undock making it less convenient to take in and out. However, I am able to pull the iPod up and out for the length of the excess cord. Here are my pics:

Old 09-17-09, 07:12 PM
sfd
Driver School Candidate

OK here are the pics I promised.

Hi,
From where did you get the integration for i phone? Can you give me the # of the company so I can get it done for my IS too.
Thanks

Quick Reply: iPhone ashtray integration solution....maybe