IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 vs 2009/10 IS250

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 06:34 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 vs 2009/10 IS250

What if any changes has Lexus made to the IS250 since 2006 to make me or anyone else want to change up?

Aside from some cosmetic changes I don't see any. I guess what I'm interested in is what engineering changes have taken place?

Perhaps one of you 'techies' (you know who you are) can answer my question/s

Thanks
Dan

Any hints on what 2010 might bring to our IS250?

I have just 25K on my car. Runs perfectly, No problems to mention and I'm getting 31/32 on the highway most of the time and around 23/25 around town. What's not to like?
Old 07-12-09, 06:42 PM
isFiend
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made this post in another topic. There haven't been any engine changes that would result in enhanced straight line performance.

I'm wondering if somebody can comment on this "improved 2009 handling" on the IS. Some people claim it doesn't exist/it's false information, others claim it's true.

I didn't look terribly hard for this but I found at least 3 sources that say there is improved handling -

Source 1: http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2009-l...-33657318.html

"Lexus also made some cosmetic and handling improvements for the 2009 model year, but the cabin tech remains the same as when the model was launched in 2006."

Source 2: http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2009-is_350/

"The Lexus IS sedans showcase revised styling and gain enhanced interior function and improved handling for 2009. New suspension and steering tuning improve stability and control, and the Lexus IS 250 model, in both rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive models, gets the advanced Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system."

Source 3: http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Overvie...09-IS-350.html

"The Lexus IS 350's sporty exterior, which received subtle updates for 2009, matches the sedan's sporty 3.5-liter V6 engine, and improved handling and steering make for a fun and spirited driving experience."

Anybody care to comment on this?
Old 07-12-09, 07:27 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see my post,i have listed all the changes

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...good-idea.html
Old 07-12-09, 09:18 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i'm not sure i can consider cnet.com as an "authoritative" source for automotive reviews. if you were buying a high-tech gadget, sure, but cars?...

imo, unless you were trading up to the is350 or the is-f, don't bother trading up to a newer model year. there's not enough changes to the 2is from different model years to warrant the change.
Old 07-12-09, 09:39 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

I would have to agree with projectdna on the notion that it would almost be pointless to trade in your 06 250 for an 09 250. Except for some cosmetic changes, there are no significant changes to the engine that I know of. It would be best if you were to trade in your 250 for a 350 or better yet, an F. The difference in HP would be noticable right away.

Since you only have 25K miles on your 06 and there is nothing wrong with it, why not just keep it. Furthermore, I would simply wait for the 3rd generation IS whenever it arrives. Good luck. But if you're really itching to make a trade, trading your 250 for a 350 or an F would be in your best interest. You would not be disappointed. Good luck.
Old 07-12-09, 09:56 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial G
I would have to agree with projectdna on the notion that it would almost be pointless to trade in your 06 250 for an 09 250. Except for some cosmetic changes, there are no significant changes to the engine that I know of. It would be best if you were to trade in your 250 for a 350 or better yet, an F. The difference in HP would be noticable right away.

Since you only have 25K miles on your 06 and there is nothing wrong with it, why not just keep it. Furthermore, I would simply wait for the 3rd generation IS whenever it arrives. Good luck. But if you're really itching to make a trade, trading your 250 for a 350 or an F would be in your best interest. You would not be disappointed. Good luck.
Pretty much sums up how I feel. Don't need the extra HP.........I'm a cruiser these days. Think I'll hang on to it at least until the next version arrives in 2012.
Thanks for the replies........
Old 07-12-09, 11:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

About the supposed suspension changes...
What we do know is it was announced. But not one publication or review has tested a 2009 or stated they felt a change with the handling or steering. All the above links provided (good work poster) are just announcements, not actual tests (except the first one, which tested Lexus accessories, not a stock ride). So there just isn't any proof or evidence.
I find the whole thing suspect and fishy on Lexus's part. Usually when such changes are made, magazines like Car & Driver or Motor Trend do a quick Short Take test and review the changes. Not one thing has surfaced and the model year is now about over. My only guess is the changes were so undetectable, no one bothered to write up an article, even if they did actually test the car. If this was the case, Lexus shouldn't have bothered announcing these changes in the first place. IMO, that's pretty much BS- tooting one's own horn when nothing can be proven different.
If someone on this list has a corporate connection, maybe some light can be shed on the topic.
Old 07-13-09, 12:30 AM
isFiend
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
About the supposed suspension changes...
What we do know is it was announced. But not one publication or review has tested a 2009 or stated they felt a change with the handling or steering. All the above links provided (good work poster) are just announcements, not actual tests (except the first one, which tested Lexus accessories, not a stock ride). So there just isn't any proof or evidence.
I find the whole thing suspect and fishy on Lexus's part. Usually when such changes are made, magazines like Car & Driver or Motor Trend do a quick Short Take test and review the changes. Not one thing has surfaced and the model year is now about over. My only guess is the changes were so undetectable, no one bothered to write up an article, even if they did actually test the car. If this was the case, Lexus shouldn't have bothered announcing these changes in the first place. IMO, that's pretty much BS- tooting one's own horn when nothing can be proven different.
If someone on this list has a corporate connection, maybe some light can be shed on the topic.
Awesome, thanks for the insight man. Seems pretty reasonable to me.
Old 07-13-09, 12:38 AM
xHartawann
Lexus Champion

Is it just me or does the 09/10 have faster gear changes? The loaner I have seems faster... lol