IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Egged...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-09, 02:29 PM
patstar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Egged...

I've been lurking on these forums for awhile now. I have an 2008 Obsidian is250 by the way. Now onto the story. I usually park my car in the garage, but people was over last night so i parked my car on the street knowing my dad was outside with his friends and it'll be okay. My street is known to be cursed because of reckless drivers hitting my tree at night and totaling my friends car one time. When i came out to move my car back into the garage, i saw some shiny reflection on the ground thinking someone broke it my car. However, i walked up and saw that someone egged my car so i immediately sprayed the car down with water and wiped it off with a microfiber towel. It smelled like crap too! So the next morning i woke up saw paint chips... I'm not sure what to do now to fix it. Any suggestions would help, thanks.

Old 07-13-09, 02:54 PM
jc86
Driver

oh man that sucks =T
i doubt someone egging your car would chip the paint though...there looks like there are a lot of swirl marks in the pictures. give it a good through washdown and cleaning and see if it is still there, if so just find a detail guy im sure the paint chips aren't deep at all.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-09, 03:25 PM
Sgt_K
Driver

Clay bar may help...
Old 07-13-09, 03:45 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Claybar won't help because the white stuff is probably chipped paint. Just do your best to clean it off and just keep the area waxed. You could spend some money and have a professional touch it up... I got egged right when I got my car and I have the exact same type of damage you have (I was in a safe area and I was visiting so it was probably because the car was a new model). Luckily my car is silver so I only notice it when I'm looking for it but your car is black so gl with that.

BTW, egging does chip the paint because the egg shell is very hard and sharp. It's like throwing sharp rocks at your car. If you do a google search, you can see most people get that type of damage after getting egged.

Last edited by RshaoKh; 07-13-09 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 03:53 PM
patstar
Driver School Candidate

oh really? i wasn't sure if the egg actually did that, but i guess it did. yeah it sucks that my car is black. would you have any idea how much it would cost to have a professional touch it up? the white stuff is the actually paint chips. car just looks dirty from the wash down of the egg last night.
Old 07-13-09, 03:59 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

To be honest with you, I don't know the price (shouldn't be too expensive... like around $60ish?) because I just left it alone. You'll get over it if you give it time and I don't think the damage is bad enough to spend $ on. Have you ever washed a car using those white terry towels before? If you have, you've probably had leftover "lint" on the car that the towel left behind. That's what the egg chips look like. So just pretend that it's lint. The good part is you cleaned the egg off before it destroyed your paint. I think if you leave it on too long, it'll literally turn the paint in that area yellowish too.
Old 07-13-09, 04:00 PM
amorphous
Pole Position

I hate to say it, but the only thing that you can do to get that off is re-spray. The enzyme in the egg actually strips the paint away and that is what causes that effect. if the egg was left on for longer you would see absolutely nothing there.
Old 07-13-09, 04:08 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by amorphous
I hate to say it, but the only thing that you can do to get that off is re-spray. The enzyme in the egg actually strips the paint away and that is what causes that effect. if the egg was left on for longer you would see absolutely nothing there.
IMO the chips we both have isn't from the enzyme. We cleaned it off before enough damage was done. I still think it's from the egg shell since the damage isn't consistent(like it's not a complete section where paint is gone). I don't know much about eggs so I could be wrong. Anyway, a professional detailer could probably fix it like he would fix any rock chip. Touchup paint and something to make the touchup paint smooth. It probably won't look 100% perfect but it's a lot cheaper than to repaint that panel just for that minor damage, not to mention that it's hard to find a shop that can perfectly match your paint. Either way, getting egged sucks!

Last edited by RshaoKh; 07-13-09 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 04:17 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

My car got egged the first week I had it. Fortunately i cleaned it off within a few hrs but had chips/ripples like you have here. I'm leaving it for now but it will def not buff/wax out. I tried the hell out of that.
Old 07-13-09, 04:19 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe some touch-up paint will help you fix the paint chip. I'm pretty sure it's not that bad.
Old 07-13-09, 04:19 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Those are scratches from the eggs impact and cracking. My brothers car has 2 of those marks. A egg is pretty hard and when it hits another surface it pretty much makes a dent and when it cracks the shells go everywhere and I guess it chips the paint.

I'd call a proffessional detailer or if you want a cheaper fix, dr colorchip might hide the scratches(but will still be visibile up close).
Old 07-13-09, 04:23 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

All the white specs are from the impact point of the egg. When the shell shatters it cuts up the paint. If the egg is left on the paint for a long period it looks like the egg cooks into the paint and that area will never be smooth again. I had a few of my cars egged before, and the end result was always a new paint job.
Old 07-13-09, 04:40 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

hose are paint chips caused by the egg exploding on your car. how do i know because the rear end on my obsidian has those same exact markings from when i got egged at my freinds house. the neighborhood he is in is all older people. really pissed me off. i'm having my rear bumper repainted and going to see if they can fix that also. unfortunately that is something you can't polish out.
Old 07-13-09, 08:46 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about you car. At least the best thing was that you were able to clean it off before more damage could be done. I would try to a long and extensive detail. Good luck.
Old 07-13-09, 10:31 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

yeah.. the scratches are definitely from an egg.. my house got egged and the eggs made holes in the screen meshing on windows. i hate vandals that actually cause serious damage...

Quick Reply: Egged...