IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Maintenance questions for IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 09:44 PM
kur1j
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maintenance questions for IS350

I am about to be in need of an Oil Change (10k miles on the odometer).

Just wanted some peoples opinions on where to get it changed at. Should I just ***** up and get it changed at the dealership? Is there any benefits of getting it changed at the dealership? What kinda prices is everyone else looking at? I was quoted $85 from the Lexus dealership. Does that sound about right? It kinda seems steep to me.

I read somewhere that I should rotate my tires too but how can you rotate the tires on a car that has two separate sized tires?

What really needs to be done at this 10k mile oil change?

I have the summer performance tires on this car and I was told that they only last 15k miles. I would expect closer to 20-25k. I do not drive the car hard and do not peel out. The current tires look like they have have a lot of tread left. I know it is at least one oil change from having to change the tires but how much would it cost to replace the tires if I wanted to stick the same OEM tires on the car?

I have looked at the users manual but not 100% if everything they recommend is actually needed.

If anyone can kinda give me a quick run down on what they usually do to their cars I would appreciate it.
Old 07-15-09, 09:50 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do the oil change yourself. And do not rotate your tires. Oil change is basically it. Do not go to dealership..
Old 07-15-09, 09:57 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Phiber
Just do the oil change yourself. And do not rotate your tires. Oil change is basically it. Do not go to dealership..
I agree, well said.

I also believe you should just save your money and do it yourself. If not, you can find a local shop do it for you. No matter what, avoiding the dealership will save you a lot of $$$ in the long run.
Old 07-15-09, 09:58 PM
kur1j
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious but does it void the warranty or cause any issues with record keeping of the car if I decided to sell it?
Old 07-15-09, 09:59 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

No warranty issue. It is just a oil change.
Old 07-15-09, 10:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

For ease of records, positive resale/trade-in impressions to the dealer, and convenience, the dealer isn't that bad of an idea. You know you are getting Lexus products and the job should be done cleanly and correctly (hopefully). For me, it's worth a few extra bucks. Plus the Lexus loaner allows me to tool around elsewhere and test other Lexi. Just a thought.
Old 07-16-09, 03:42 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The money you save on the oil change, you can use premium synthetic oil that will last for 1 year. You can not rotate staggered wheels.

Koz
Old 07-16-09, 03:57 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
For ease of records, positive resale/trade-in impressions to the dealer, and convenience, the dealer isn't that bad of an idea. You know you are getting Lexus products and the job should be done cleanly and correctly (hopefully). For me, it's worth a few extra bucks. Plus the Lexus loaner allows me to tool around elsewhere and test other Lexi. Just a thought.
That's an excellent point. My dealer charges 52.00 which includes a complete wash and vacuum. When I go to the Toyota dealer it's 33.00. Guess what, I like the dealership service better, loaner car, gourmet coffee, pastries, I always get a loaner for an hour and a half, I'll pay the difference!
Old 07-16-09, 05:40 AM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Koz
The money you save on the oil change, you can use premium synthetic oil that will last for 1 year. You can not rotate staggered wheels.

Koz

If your car is new and still under warranty, you DO NOT want to go a year without an oil change regardles of type of oil. Lexus states every 5k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

If your out of warranty, do what you want.
Old 07-16-09, 05:45 AM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

I have looked at the users manual but not 100% if everything they recommend is actually needed.

Again, if still under warranty, you need to follow the users manual to keep from voiding the warranty. If you should have to file some sort of warranty issue in the future, you can bet your *** they will look at maintenance records to see if you've adhered to the recommended guidelines.

One note though, dealers will recommend more things than what is in the manual. Just stick to what the owners manual says.
Old 07-16-09, 06:38 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy
If your car is new and still under warranty, you DO NOT want to go a year without an oil change regardles of type of oil. Lexus states every 5k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.
If your out of warranty, do what you want.
The ONLY time a manufacture can deny a warranty claim is when they can prove the failure was caused by something you did (or didn't do) or a mod or aftermarket part. If an engine fails and the UOA from that engine shows the OCI caused the failure, yes the claim will be denied. Lexus/Toyota engines are very gentle on oil. The factory fill (Dino) can safely last 10K or one year. A quality synthetic can safely last well over 10K miles.

If you are using quality synthetic oil you will not have any problems with oil related engine failures or your warranty. Most quality synthetic oil manufactures will even supply documentation to help you if it comes up. The bottom line is the manufacture will have to provide a UOA that shows the oil caused the failure. This is NOT going to happen!

Koz
Old 07-16-09, 07:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What you actually need to do on a 2IS:

Oil changes as appropriate (probably 1/yr for synthetic, 2/yr for conventional)

Every 15k: Change air and cabin filters- You should be doing this yourself, it takes 5 minutes.

Every 30k: Change brake fluid

Every 60k: Change spark plugs

Every 100k: Change coolant

That's -it-

That's also why you should never ask a dealer for the "X miles" service- they'll do as above plus jack the price up 3x higher for a bunch of "inspections" that they'll do for free anyway if you just have the stuff you actually need done.

Again, if still under warranty, you need to follow the users manual to keep from voiding the warranty. If you should have to file some sort of warranty issue in the future, you can bet your *** they will look at maintenance records to see if you've adhered to the recommended guidelines.

Completely false. Federal law prohibits them denying warranty coverage for anything you do aftermarket unless they _prove_ that what you did causes the failure.

Which won't be the case with 1 year changes using a good synthetic.

Amsoil in fact -guarantees- their oil is good for 1 year/25k miles.
Old 07-16-09, 08:15 AM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

I have a question about oil change. The Lexus oil change sticker says I'm due for an oil change but the car doesn't indicate that I should. So should I go off the car warning light or the sticker?

Last time I brought my car in according to the sticker and the service rep told me I don't need an oil change yet because the car didn't indicate it. Not sure if I can totally trust service reps hehe.
Old 07-16-09, 08:18 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 731 Likes on 503 Posts

If you go by the book, oil changes happen every 5k miles. They probably wrote the sticker for 3k.
Old 07-16-09, 08:31 AM
Koz

You have to remember the OEM recommendation is based on using dino oil and the 5K mile interval is based on severe use. The best way to determine how long your oil is safely protecting your engine is to get a UOA. In the end it will save you time and money. It also eliminates the guessing and will provide a record that can be used if there is a warranty issue. Why guess?

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 07-17-09 at 06:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Maintenance questions for IS350