IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Leave the IS350 stock!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 03:40 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually hate all stock cars. Esp. ours. It looks like such a ***** car if you don't modify it and make it your own. I actually feel weird driving a car that's just stock, for some reason it makes me sick haha. That's why I modifiy all mine..even factory Ferraris are whatever to me unless they have their own personal touch, namely wheels.
Old 07-18-09, 08:00 PM
AS~IS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm stock, too.
Mod bug bit me pretty hard today when I saw some very clean IS's at a meet. I think it's time for me to start modd'ing!
It'll just be a matter of time... I doubt I'll last a year.
Old 07-18-09, 08:09 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lol 5pages of this
Old 07-18-09, 09:45 PM
kur1j
Rookie

Everyone keeps telling me I will get the "mod bug" but I REALLY don't see that happening. I love the stock wheels (whatever comes with the sport package) I love the lines I love the front of it.

Don't get me wrong I love fast performance cars and I am not against doing or changing something to get more performance out of a car but having to avoid speed bumps doesn't do it for me.

Most of the cars I see that are modded make me cry inside.

For example a 16ish y/o guy that lives near me has something like this on his 1999 honda civic (http://auto-trim.com/aluminumwings/s...z-1.jpg)...his car is a dark green color and the spoiler is silver and it looks terrible (the spoiler about 10 inches off the trunk panel). He has wheels, LP tires, some half assed job of putting a kit on it and of course...a fart can, that make the car look, sound...retarded. Last time I talked to him which was when he come to look at my car, the car had like 200k miles on it. He likes it so I guess that is all that matters...but the modifications and stuff probably are worth more than the car. Granted he seems to be a decent kid that means well and enjoys what he does with his car and it seems to keep him out of trouble. He did ask if I was going to mod the car and if I was he could help me...I cordially declined his offer.

Speaking of spoilers why in the HELL do you add one to a front wheel drive car? It's just one of those things that makes me go WTF, why?

Last edited by kur1j; 07-18-09 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-18-09, 09:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by kur1j
Everyone keeps telling me I will get the "mod bug" but I REALLY don't see that happening. I love the stock wheels (whatever comes with the sport package) I love the lines I love the front of it. And just for clarity I got the sport package because I didn't want the wood trim not because it sits "lower" .

For example a 16ish y/o guy that lives near me has something like this on his 1999 honda civic (http://auto-trim.com/aluminumwings/s...z-1.jpg)...his car is a dark green color and the spoiler is silver and it looks terrible (the spoiler about 10 inches off the trunk panel). He has wheels, LP tires, some half assed job of putting a kit on it and of course...a fart can, that make the car look, sound...retarded. Last time I talked to him which was when he come to look at my car, the car had like 200k miles on it. He likes it so I guess that is all that matters...but the modifications and stuff probably are worth more than the car. Granted he seems to be a decent kid that means well and enjoys what he does with his car and it seems to keep him out of trouble. He did ask if I was going to mod the car and if I was he could help me...I cordially declined his offer.

Speaking of spoilers why in the HELL do you add one to a front wheel drive car? It just doesn't make any sense to me.
Don't try to understand or change it my friend. Modding is only curable after you get it out of your system. I went through the same phase too. It has to run its course.
Old 07-18-09, 09:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

A 100% stocker would be a rare ISx50 around here.
Old 07-18-09, 09:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
A 100% stocker would be a rare ISx50 around here.
So true. Most online car forums are handled by modders. Sometimes I feel like an outcast (with stock), but you learn to play along, meet some nice people, and learn some things along the way. It's all goooooooood.
Old 07-18-09, 10:04 PM
SpecLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In my area I have yet to see any modded ISx50. If anything, I'm probably going to be the only one around. A fish out of water.
Old 07-18-09, 11:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

CL does have a wide range of modders (from mild to wild), so it's a great resource for those considering any changes big or small.
Old 07-19-09, 04:55 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kur1j
Everyone keeps telling me I will get the "mod bug" but I REALLY don't see that happening. I love the stock wheels (whatever comes with the sport package) I love the lines I love the front of it.

Don't get me wrong I love fast performance cars and I am not against doing or changing something to get more performance out of a car but having to avoid speed bumps doesn't do it for me.

My last car had well over 20k of performance mods, and was considerably faster than an IS-F. Even the mods that didn't make it faster or handle better were functional mods (seats with better lateral support, rear-view that autodimmed with a compass, better sound system)

My IS350 I've done swaybars, intake, and exhaust, and that's about all I plan to do other than lightweight 18" wheels when I find a 5-spoke set I actually like, because almost nothing actually makes the car perform any better... and I've seen nothing available in the way of functional improvement non-performance mods either.
Old 07-19-09, 10:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Freedom of choice is a good thing.

The reality is that the trends in mods and customization lean towards improving appearance over improving performance. These trends do not just apply to Lexus cars.

Cars such as IS350, 335, C350, G37 come from the factory with very high levels of performance (combined with luxury), so it's no surprise that mods such as moderate changes to wheels/tires/suspension can make a big difference in appearance to personalize the car with little change in performance. For those that live in areas where premium cars are very common, mods can make the car different and better looking.
Old 07-19-09, 10:27 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

IS350 is just harder to mod compared to other cars performance wise.

since there is nothing to do for our car performance wise that is why we go the cosmetic route. After all, we bought a Lexus for a reason instead of a 20k car that can easily out perform a IS350..
Old 07-19-09, 11:35 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

I know I'm in the minority, but I love the stock look of this car, and it was a huge reason why I was originally drawn to it.

I'll be making some minor "F-Sport" modifications: Sway bar, maybe shocks, maybe intake, etc., but I'm not going to do be going to coils, rolling the fenders, or anything crazy like that. I want my car to continue to ride the line of luxury performance car, and not look like a riced out Civic (no offense).

I think it's just individual preference, and I don't think you have to be a "modder" to be on this forum. I think there is a lot of good information being shared outside of the "mod" box.
Old 07-19-09, 11:42 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Well the point of any forums online was really to talk about the vehicle, such as the known problem, tips on little tricks here and there, talks about how things work, etc. It wasn't initially opened for people who love to modify their cars..
Old 07-19-09, 11:49 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rebs
I know I'm in the minority, but I love the stock look of this car, and it was a huge reason why I was originally drawn to it.

I'll be making some minor "F-Sport" modifications: Sway bar, maybe shocks, maybe intake, etc., but I'm not going to do be going to coils, rolling the fenders, or anything crazy like that. I want my car to continue to ride the line of luxury performance car, and not look like a riced out Civic (no offense).

I think it's just individual preference, and I don't think you have to be a "modder" to be on this forum. I think there is a lot of good information being shared outside of the "mod" box.
You have different perspective than everyone else. It doesn't necessarily mean that it looks like a riced out Civic. If you like your stock look, no need to bash on modded cars and call them ricers. That is just uncalled for..

And plus, I don't want my car to look like every other old women that drives this car that uses it as a family sedan..If you want that look that's good for you..

Quick Reply: Leave the IS350 stock!