IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Free tpms programming at discount tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 12:20 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Free tpms programming at discount tire

just want to confirm with you guys that Discount Tire was able to reprogram my one TPMS sensor that had to be replaced. Although i wrote down all the codes he didn't need it. Took them about 5 minutes to reprogram the sensor.

The moral of this story is to not use the stealership whether it be toyota or lexus, because they both charge around that $100+ mark, THIS MAY NOT BE THE CASE WITH ALL DEALERS, BUT SO FAR IN HOUSTON TX. THAT'S WHAT I WAS QUOTED.

the dealers also quote it takes about an hour to do, but when the guy did it today he simply used the little gadget and got the codes without seeing the actual sensor.

SO IF YOU BREAK A SENSOR dont panic!

1. use EBAY find the sensor that corresponds to your production date

2. get it installed

3. Go to DISCOUNT TIRE, not all DISCOUNT TIRE FACILITIES have the gadget, from my understanding they are in training mode, I only know of one DT in houston with the gadget. But there out there and they will gladly help!
Old 07-17-09, 12:59 PM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have to check this out. hopefully out here they dont charge, im thinking they will though..unless i purchase something from them.
Old 07-17-09, 01:02 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm this definitely isn't at every location. The last time i went to my local discount tire they said they couldn't do it and i would have to go to the dealer...
Old 07-17-09, 01:45 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Originally Posted by XprincoX
hmm this definitely isn't at every location. The last time i went to my local discount tire they said they couldn't do it and i would have to go to the dealer...
some stores may have the actual tool and not know how to use it, that was the case when i went two weeks ago. in actuality there's at least one person that knows how to use the tool or should know how to use the tool. most likely it is the training manager ask who it is at that specific store and when he will be available, he should be able to give you some accurate information.
Old 07-17-09, 01:50 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i was talking to the store manager directly... either way i don't trust them mounting tires on my stretched wheels. The last time i had to get a emergency flat repaired they put a big *** scratch on my lip.
Old 07-17-09, 02:16 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Never mind Free.. Idiot
Old 07-17-09, 04:47 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I need this, I had to replace one
Old 07-17-09, 05:38 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Originally Posted by XprincoX
yeah i was talking to the store manager directly... either way i don't trust them mounting tires on my stretched wheels. The last time i had to get a emergency flat repaired they put a big *** scratch on my lip.
you should of raised all types of HELL and had them pay for the repair or either buy you a new rim, they scratched my Iforged front spoke and they were going to buy a new one, until the found out the price then they happily contacted Wheels America which whom did an awesome JOB.

Now when I go there, they know to take care of my car and i think the fact that i stand in the bay and watch them adds to the carefullness of the way they treat my car.
Old 07-17-09, 09:24 PM
SpecLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In my opinion, the reason I would choose to pay the dealership to install something is two folds.
1. It doesn't void the warranty.
2. They are liable and have the capacity to fix something if they mess it up. (Inventory and other mechanics that know what they're doing.)
Old 05-31-10, 08:00 AM
Tundra
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for bringing up such an old thread but.... Does anyone know where he got this done? Which Houston Discount Tire?
Old 05-31-10, 08:19 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

The Discount tire in Willowbrook, next to the Toys R Us, call before and make sure the guy that knows how to use the machine is there.
Old 05-31-10, 10:57 AM
racerboi07
Rookie

i work at an america's tire which is the same thing as the discount tires on the east side... we have it at our store too..
Old 05-31-10, 12:18 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

I check on their website, and they charges $3.50 per tire for TPMS. You probably got lucky there, but I will try it out.
Old 05-31-10, 04:45 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

the same thing happened to my GF yesterday!!! she took my car to the gym and i asked her to take the car to discount tires / america's tires in the city of Pasadena to get tpms reprogrammed. i called the day before just to make sure they had the proper machine.

So she brought it in and they programmed it in 10 minutes. she even asked if she needed to sign anything or pay anything. they just said no n she was on her way. FREE 99 for tpms programmed. w00t w00t.

the location is in pasadena. the one located on colorado blvd, if anyone wants to go check it out.
Old 06-01-10, 09:15 PM
Tundra
Driver School Candidate

350 did you catch his name by any chance? Went in today and they said they couldn't do it

Quick Reply: Free tpms programming at discount tire