IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Popping the Cherry..what to Expect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 11:30 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Little E
Congrats! I hope you love your car like the majority of us do here on CL. hahaha I heard someone at my work talking behind my back today, and this is what they said: "Don't get too close to Erin's Lexus. She's obsessive complusive when it comes to her car."

LOL
Just a little? Just kidding Erin!
Old 07-18-09, 03:50 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I find myself staring at my car after I've waxed it- to see if it made an obvious difference. Other than after the first few week of ownership, the newness and excitement has worn off. What I really want to do now is have someone else drive my car and then follow it in another car to see what the damn thing looks like going down the road! Problem is I don't trust anyone else behind my wheel. hehe

You're going to love your car... congrats on it and your new kid coming.
Old 07-18-09, 07:20 AM
2009LEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a major difference at e90 than over here with regards on how people talk to one another. Over here everyone is nice or the mods step in. At e90 all hell breaks loose and continues....I know phiber from e90. I owned a 335 coupe befor my IS and there is no comparison. My IS is light years ahead of my coupe except in power but who cares with all the cops these days.

OP Congrats!! And on the new car also!
Old 07-18-09, 10:04 AM
isFiend
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2009LEX
There is a major difference at e90 than over here with regards on how people talk to one another. Over here everyone is nice or the mods step in. At e90 all hell breaks loose and continues....I know phiber from e90. I owned a 335 coupe befor my IS and there is no comparison. My IS is light years ahead of my coupe except in power but who cares with all the cops these days.

OP Congrats!! And on the new car also!

Awesome, I guess I wasn't the only one either!

I too owned a 335i brand new for about 3 and a half months. In that time span I had 5 high pressure fuel pump failures which is amazing considering the fact that I have a very light foot and was babying the vehicle. Fortunately, replacements for those pumps cost me a whopping $0 which was nice, but nevertheless, the time spent going to the dealership time and time again in limp mode (and in such a short period of time) really started to get irritating.

The handling in that car was terrific. I'd say the handling was a pinch better than my IS 350.

As far as straight line power goes, my IS 350 felt (and still feels) just a tad bit faster from a dig when I have trac/vsc off.

From a 65 to 90 roll, the 335i had more punch.

But, as far as interior luxury, aesthetics, reliability, and just overall package go, I could not be happier with my IS 350.

I'm just one month into ownership of my IS 350 and so far I've had no problems.

I know my scenario is likely atypical. I don't think I've ever read of anyone else having so many fuel pump failures in such a short period of time.

I've heard of some individuals having NO failures for year(s). Luck of the draw I suppose.

I also feel like I don't necessarily have to "baby" my IS 350 as much as I did my 335i. With the 335i, always in the back of my mind was "twin turbo set up, must..be..conservative I need this engine to last 10+ years!" There is a certain psychological advantage to having a naturally aspirated engine I think. More peace of mind perhaps, at least for me

As a performance vehicle though if we can ignore the shoddy engineering for a second, the 335i is just a fantastic car.

I think they did an excellent job on their hard top convertible especially. The car with the hard top on looks terrific.

I must say I am not a fan at all of the convertible IS with the hard top on, it looks rather awkward!

I'll take the regular IS/335i convert/335i regular over the IS convertible any day of the week.
Old 07-18-09, 10:08 AM
tinylexus
Driver

Congrats on your new rides... more mods to come...
Old 07-18-09, 10:37 PM
marc5629
Driver School Candidate

I never thought I would love anything this much. Just picked up the is350 today and it was like going to pick up a new girlfriend for the first time. (My wife didn't like that comment)

Driving it home was like nothing I've felt in years. The power, the smooth quiet ride, the beautifulness inside and out. Wow.

Now I dont want to let it out to face the cruel cruel world. No dirt shall touch my obsidian finish. No rocks shall come close to it. I don't even want to take it to the grocery store in fear of a ding. Help me. How do I get over this? I'm thinking ...just drive...just far young man.

I just spent 2 hours in my hot garage sweating while playing with the navigation, radio, phone... Now its on to read the 6,454,311 page manual. I can't get enough.
Old 07-18-09, 11:05 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by marc5629
Now I dont want to let it out to face the cruel cruel world. No dirt shall touch my obsidian finish. No rocks shall come close to it. I don't even want to take it to the grocery store in fear of a ding. Help me. How do I get over this? I'm thinking ...just drive...just far young man.
I'm still door ding free, but I still worry about it everytime I parked my car somewhere. As for rock chips, good luck. I find more and more on my front side each month. I would suggest a clear bra. Obsidian takes a lot of dedication to keep clean.
Old 07-18-09, 11:38 PM
SpecLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Apparently the obsession I have for my ride isn't prevelant throughout ISx50 owners. I have to admit that even though I've had my car for 2 months, I get excited EVERYTIME I get to into my car and drive out the garage. I look for excuses to go out driving. "Honey, do you need anything from the super market? What's that, you want to go to the mall?"
What terrifies me are the sudden hail storms that afflicts my city. Considering I have a garage at home, but not even a covered parking spot at work, it terries me as I know it's only a matter of time before a hail storm catches my car while I'm at the office.

Well now I've been caught wanting to do some conservative Mods. I received yesterday my fsport wheels/intake/spring. It's only a matter of time before I get them installed. So excited, no way I can hide it!
Old 07-20-09, 06:23 AM
2009LEX
Driver

Mine was vanos issues. 6 times in the shop in 4 months. Finally had enough!

The best part was I got really upset at the dealership for not fixing this and called BMW NA who then worked together to void part of my warranty because I had an aftermarket intake. So glad I came back to a lex!
Old 07-20-09, 08:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The 0-60 time difference of a 335 and IS350 is insignificant if any at all. Both are quick cars by any measure, and when taking into account production variations, track conditions, instrument calibration, no diff.
Old 07-20-09, 08:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats on the new upcoming car and baby.
Old 07-20-09, 11:48 AM
2009LEX
Driver

At my altitude (5K above sea level to 7K above sea level) you can feel a major difference between an FI engine and an NA engine. With that said I love my IS even though I just found some water spots or something on it now. Its weird. I am going to make the dealer fix that shiz.
Old 07-20-09, 12:00 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The 0-60 time difference of a 335 and IS350 is insignificant if any at all. Both are quick cars by any measure, and when taking into account production variations, track conditions, instrument calibration, no diff.
I have both and it is 2 very different car. Does not feel the same at all. The 335 feels way quicker especially if you use it as a DD since 300 torque and 300 HP hits at 1400 RPM. Where as IS350 don't use up all the HP/Torque until high end.

With that said, the IS350 has a way more comfortable interior and nicer navi but is lacking aftermarket parts. Terrible engine modifications for the IS and no boost. (not considering something that only gives 40WHP)
Old 07-20-09, 12:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phiber
I have both and it is 2 very different car. Does not feel the same at all. The 335 feels way quicker especially if you use it as a DD since 300 torque and 300 HP hits at 1400 RPM. Where as IS350 don't use up all the HP/Torque until high end.

With that said, the IS350 has a way more comfortable interior and nicer navi but is lacking aftermarket parts. Terrible engine modifications for the IS and no boost. (not considering something that only gives 40WHP)
No surprise with the twin turbos, and key word "feels" quicker. As I stated earlier the difference in measurable 0-60 times is insignificant.

Good back-to-back comparison of driving impression.
Old 07-20-09, 12:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carLx
Fair enough, I think we should stop jacking the OP's thread now
Maybe, but we forgot what the thread was about.

Quick Reply: Popping the Cherry..what to Expect?