Need HID Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 01:21 PM
Lancer2.4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need HID Help Please

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to this forum, but have been a Moderator and was actually an Administrator of a very large forum for over 6 years. My life has taken a different turn now and I don't have the time to devote to that hobby, so I have a new one now......

My wife recently purchased an '06 Lexus IS 250. It is silver (what is the real name of this color?) with tinted windows. I believe everything else is stock. I have upgraded a few of my cars over the years, the last being a 96 Dodge Neon 2.0L DOHC and now my 09 2.4L Lancer.

I have never done anything with HID lighting. I am very interested in doing this to my wife's IS, but need some help. I have tried using the Search function here to look for the information I need, but it returns too broad an arrangement of options. Here are my questions.

1. I would like to start with the low beams, I believe. If I read right, her DRLs are her high beams at 50% power, right?

2. Are the low beams what people typically replace with HID first? I want her to be able to see well at night. Illinois deer and other crazy animals are bad enough here. I want her to be able to see far enough out to hopefully stop any problems with collisions with animals that don't stay off the road.

3. Her low beams are H11s, right? What is the easiest way to check? I checked the high beams because they are exposed when you look through the headlights, so they are not HID. I would expect the low beams aren't either. Is there any way to tell easily?

4. What kit is the best to try out? I was thinking about going with this one from a Vendor on here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...members-3.html

5. Do I order the H11 kit from them?

6. What is a D4S bulb? What are the advantages to this over the H11 HID? Is it an upgrade or do I have to make modifications to do it?

7. How do I get to the headlight assembly? Do I have to remove the front bumper or can I remove some of the plastic engine covers?

8. I have a separate high beam and low beam, so I don't want to order the dual kit, right?

I am fairly well versed in upgrading things in vehicles and I have a friend that is a mechanic, so I am sure we can do this ourselves. I just need to know everything I need to order to ensure I don't forget something that is necessary for this change.

Thanks so much for all of the information and taking the time to reply. I eagerly look forward to hearing your thoughts. On my cars, I am allowed to do just about anything....But since this is the wife's car, she is quite hesitant. I assure her there is nothing to worry about, but she is very wary of letting me touch it.

Thanks again! I hope this is as painless as it seems to be in changing it out.
Old 07-20-09, 03:31 PM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-pictures.html

from my experience, if you have halogens stock then you use the h11 kit. if you the factory hids they use the d4s bulbs

there is the link to the DIY for hid's

and i pm'd you about the hid kit
Old 07-20-09, 03:35 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

if the lights are yellow then you don't have oem HID. and just purchase the h11 kit from the vendors. its pricey to upgrade to oem d4s hid system. and you don't really need to by hid for the high beam, just the low beam (h11). the output should be decent...
Old 07-20-09, 04:19 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The silver is called Tungsten Pearl.

1. Yes

2. It really depends but like you mention you would like to start with the headlights, then I would do that first.

3. Several ways to tell. Turn them on and if you hear a sorta buzz, then yes. Or scroll through the dash menu and if you see "AFS on/off" then you have HIDs. To get to it there should be buttons that look like this [< O >] on the left side near the steering wheel. And right when you when you turn it on, HIDs should kinda dim then get brighter.

4-5. Any one of the vendors would be good to go. H11 only if the lights are standard halogen.

6. D4S is the type of bulb that comes with HID option equipped. It's mercury free, supposedly a tad bit (really tad bit) brighter than D2S, and runs at a lower voltage than D2S. Don't need to modify. If you do have halogens, just buy a kit.

7. You could just remove the the engine covers to get to the bulb. I would remove the intake box and washer fluid nozzle for easier access.

8. Nope, just one kit for the lows should be fine.

Hope that helps some.
Old 07-21-09, 12:23 AM
DJSirkit13
Driver

try the kits from mobilehid.com i just ordered mine i ordered a 6k setup H11 kit. if you are concerned more with output then color then go with 4300k which usually what auto manufactures use. but their kits are heavy duty and for being a member on here you can get it for $140 shipped with a 1yr warranty check them out at their website

ill PM you the link to the Clublexus special!

Hope that helps ill post pics once i install mine next week
Old 07-22-09, 04:54 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Lancer2.4,

Welcome to the forum.

We have been selling HID lighting products on ClubLexus since 2004 and it would be my pleasure to help you out. If you would like, feel free to PM me with your contact info and I will give you a call to discuss.

Steve
Old 07-22-09, 01:02 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can vouch for XenonDepot h11 kit for the 2nd gen IS. 6500k and 3000k down low.

I have the headlamps and fogs and they are digital and balanced great. Mine looks like the IS featured on their site, without the city light upgrades. Really even to this day they look amazin!
Old 07-22-09, 01:20 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the support =) Glad to hear you're enjoying the products!

Steve