IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Key fob opened other car????

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 11:03 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I am wondering if our keys can open a LS460L....heh.
Old 07-21-09, 11:24 AM
djrobsd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say she left her extra fob in the car somewhere! Although, technically the system shouldn't let you lock the door with the smart key in it, it will beep differently if your key is in the car, but maybe the owner of the other car didn't notice that when she went into the store (or maybe she was on her cell phone talking and didn't even care).

At Carmax, they had a G37 Coupe that I was considering buying before my IS (THANK GOD I GOT THE IS350!) and the door opened and the car started and I didn't have any smart key on me! Turns out the smart key was in that little lockbox they attach to the window. Not too smart on Carmax's part to be leaving those smart keys attached to a box in the window, BUT their security is like fort knox, they surround the lot with these steel and concrete barriers, and the gate is also supposedly impenetrable.
Old 07-21-09, 11:26 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off topic, but I moved from Arizona to Nevada to an apartment when I was in my teens. When I arrived at my new apartment in Nevada, my house key from Arizona opened my new apartment door. I always thought it was a little creepy.
Old 07-21-09, 11:48 AM
jc86
Driver

Originally Posted by teeder27
Here's a completely random thought. On the 1st IS that the person walked up to and got into and it wasn't her car, could the fob have been in the car and because it was in the car, it allowed her to reach her hand in the door handle and unlock the car?

(I'm not 100% sure how the smart key system works in the IS line of cars...)
Well i know that my is250 auto locks after about 30 seconds. I was sitting in my car one time (ignition off), just waiting for someone and it auto locked...so?...

I'm not sure on this but i think to unlock the door you actually have to physically grab the handle and the sensor on the back will unlock the door, just simply walking past it wont unlock it... right?...
Old 07-21-09, 11:58 AM
teeder27
Rookie

Originally Posted by jc86
Well i know that my is250 auto locks after about 30 seconds. I was sitting in my car one time (ignition off), just waiting for someone and it auto locked...so?...

I'm not sure on this but i think to unlock the door you actually have to physically grab the handle and the sensor on the back will unlock the door, just simply walking past it wont unlock it... right?...

Right, but if the owner of that IS left the fob in the car, would the motion of grabbing the handle with the sensor (because she thought it was her car) unlock the car?

(I don't own a Lexus yet, so I'm not familiar with the setup. I know how the Infiniti system works, but not the Lexus.)
Old 07-21-09, 12:01 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My IS keyfob was wigging out my circa-1980 garage door opener for the past month. AFter figuring it out, I finally changed the frequency code on the garage door and all is well. Crazy stuff, lol...
Old 07-21-09, 12:46 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

I've seen this happen to Honda's, newer Accords.
Any GSXR1000 key with unlock my bike, but it wont start it.
Old 07-21-09, 12:47 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Right, but if the owner of that IS left the fob in the car, would the motion of grabbing the handle with the sensor (because she thought it was her car) unlock the car?

(I don't own a Lexus yet, so I'm not familiar with the setup. I know how the Infiniti system works, but not the Lexus.)
I'm 90% sure that the fob has to be touching your body in one way or another.
Old 07-21-09, 01:30 PM
jc86
Driver

I guess you are right. the mere fact that the key is in proximity to the car and its sensors, grabbing the handle would unlock the car... haha

but who leaves their fob in the car...
personally i never take it out of my pocket or off the carabiner on my belt.. it's just unnecessary because it senses it when you get into the car. unless it fell out of their pocket or purse etc

i would have stuck around for the owner of the other IS and let them know the situation
Old 07-21-09, 02:28 PM
ltran
Rookie

it's just the one in a million..it happens. when i moved into my new house somehow my neighbor and i had the same frequencies on our garages..i could open his garage. haha.
Old 07-21-09, 05:59 PM
2JZGTE-SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexasaurus
I'm 90% sure that the fob has to be touching your body in one way or another.
I thought it just had to do with the proximity to the car?...i don't think you need to be holding the key, or have it in your pocket..etc...
Old 07-21-09, 06:09 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2JZGTE-SC
I thought it just had to do with the proximity to the car?...i don't think you need to be holding the key, or have it in your pocket..etc...
You are correct- the key just has to be in the proximity of the sensor to allow you to unlock the car. I was just over at Toyota with a friend looking at some Camry's and Venza's and they have all of their keys in lock boxes attached to the windows. The smart key cars, you just have to reach your hand in between the handle and it unlocks and lets you in. I tried starting 1 of them, but the key wasn't close enough to the ignition button to start it.

We got some crazy looks from others looking on the lot- like "how on earth did they get in all those cars- all of the ones we r looking at are locked."
Old 07-21-09, 06:43 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

To lock the car with the door handle button, the fob has to be outside the vehicle. If it's inside, and you try to lock it, you will hear a loud beep, and the door will remain unlocked.

BTW, the fobs for our two Lexus have never locked or unlocked the vehicle it wasn't supposed to.

Lou
Old 07-21-09, 06:57 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friends Maxima fob from about 10 years ago opened, armed and disarmed another maxima in the mall parking lot. He must have clicked it about 10 times....worked every time. We laughed and laughed for 20 minutes.
Old 07-27-09, 10:41 AM
Hayashi
Driver School Candidate

This is very rare. Car companies reuse keys and alarm codes. If you go around long enough you will find another car you can open. There is no unlimited number of codes and its easier and cheaper to reuse. Like someone else said, if the code changes every time you unlock/lock your door, it was just coincidence that it worked that time. I used to work at honda and only once did I see it happen where the car in the stall next to the car i was working on opened and closed with the alarm.