IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

BAAD mis-shift!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 06:26 AM
sgm250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAAD mis-shift!

So I took off in my 250 MT onto an expressway on-ramp and tried to do a hard, fast shift from 2nd to third and I missed and put it in first!! I let the clutch out, felt it grab in 1st, and wasn't able to save it until around redline when the car nose dived and slowed significantly. I've owned many MT cars in my life and have never done anything like this, could I have done any terrible long-term damage to my tranny?
Old 07-22-09, 06:30 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Is it driving and shifting differently?

any noises, grinding, etc?
Old 07-22-09, 06:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,030 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by sgm250
So I took off in my 250 MT onto an expressway on-ramp and tried to do a hard, fast shift from 2nd to third and I missed and put it in first!! I let the clutch out, felt it grab in 1st, and wasn't able to save it until around redline when the car nose dived and slowed significantly. I've owned many MT cars in my life and have never done anything like this, could I have done any terrible long-term damage to my tranny?
Gearbox? Not likely. Engine? Possibly. The one thing about a manual is you can permanently screw your engine with one missed shift by stretching the little ends on the rods and giving them all the reason in the world to give up sooner than later. Just another reason to remove the human from the equation and let a computer do the hard work.
Old 07-22-09, 06:55 AM
sgm250
Rookie

Car doesn't feel any different than it did before. The same grinding in 2nd gear and jar of marbles noise that everyone seems to experience. I feel like my plan to keep this car for 10 years has changed to sell it after 5

Doesn't the rev-limiter prevent damage to the engine for boneheads like me?

Last edited by sgm250; 07-22-09 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-22-09, 07:50 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Just another reason to remove the human from the equation and let a computer do the hard work.
Never driven a manual IS, but on every MT car I've owned it was extremely difficult to put the car into first gear accidentally, as the first gear syncros would fight tooth-and-nail against being engaged at speed. (Had to double clutch if you wanted to do it intentionally)

Doesn't the rev-limiter prevent damage to the engine for boneheads like me?
Rev limiter is a fuel cut; it'll help if you miss a shift and have your foot to the floor with the transmission out of gear, but it won't help in your situation.
Old 07-22-09, 08:07 AM
sgm250
Rookie

I guess I'll just hope it didn't do any damage... Would there be any way to tell if it did?
Old 07-22-09, 09:00 AM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man its pretty hard to jam it back in first. its hard for me putting it in first when im stopped in this car. you mustve been pushing it pretty hard. hopefully nothing went wrong since you arent feeling anything different. if anything, get it checked out at the dealership.
Old 07-22-09, 09:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,030 Likes on 2,444 Posts

I guess I'll just hope it didn't do any damage... Would there be any way to tell if it did?
Not externally. You pretty much have to wait until it breaks or do a complete tear down. If it were a race car, I'd be pulling the engine right now. Street car - probably drive to failure.
Old 07-22-09, 09:22 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Good thing you weren't going for fifth!

Koz
Old 07-22-09, 01:40 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A missed shift from the top of 2nd into 1st would have resulted in catastrophic engine failure if your clutch fully engaged. I suspect that your clutch slipped a lot if it's still driving normally. I also suspect that if you missed a shift from the top of 4th to 5th, and accidentally went into 3rd at 120 MPH, you might be in much worse shape.

Missed upshifts are pretty common in Honda S2000's, and when the clutch grabs, the valves usually make contact with the pistons due to the valves springs not being strong enough to handle more than 11K RPMs. In those cases, if the engine runs at all, it is noisy and has greatly reduced power.
Old 07-22-09, 03:32 PM
sgm250
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gernby
A missed shift from the top of 2nd into 1st would have resulted in catastrophic engine failure if your clutch fully engaged. I suspect that your clutch slipped a lot if it's still driving normally. I also suspect that if you missed a shift from the top of 4th to 5th, and accidentally went into 3rd at 120 MPH, you might be in much worse shape.

Missed upshifts are pretty common in Honda S2000's, and when the clutch grabs, the valves usually make contact with the pistons due to the valves springs not being strong enough to handle more than 11K RPMs. In those cases, if the engine runs at all, it is noisy and has greatly reduced power.
It was only a split second before I pushed the clutch back in to save it, so I hope your right! It was the icing on the cake to a terrible day today, so I think I'll try to pretend no damage was done. I really appreciate the input!
Old 07-22-09, 03:51 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the best thing to do, is to drive it hard again and check for any slipping any gridding noises. As a maunal owner or driver you should notice any difference when your gears are not right. To me, you know your own car more then anyone else if their are any differences. But you can also make a difference by bringing the car to the dealership and tell them your car is making a funny sound and they can do a diagnostic check on it, to save yourself some money from going to other shops. Remember you're still under warranty. GL
Old 07-22-09, 04:05 PM
leescape
Driver

Did a similar thing to my last car. Went from 5th to 2nd trying to go into 4th. The engine roared and it felt like somebody slammed hard on the brakes. Granted, it was only in my second week of driving stick, but it was a disheartening feeling nonetheless. Especially since it was a brand new car. But it drove perfectly for the next two years that I had it, so I would not be too worried. If you start hearing strange noises, I would get it checked out.
Old 07-22-09, 04:38 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil888
Well the best thing to do, is to drive it hard again and check for any slipping any gridding noises. As a maunal owner or driver you should notice any difference when your gears are not right. To me, you know your own car more then anyone else if their are any differences. But you can also make a difference by bringing the car to the dealership and tell them your car is making a funny sound and they can do a diagnostic check on it, to save yourself some money from going to other shops. Remember you're still under warranty. GL
Driving it hard won't fix anything, and it will only inform you of a problem if something breaks further (tow truck needed). Going to a dealership will mean that they do endless searching at your expense if you don't tell them about the missed shift, or they void your engine and transmission warranty if you do tell them about the missed shift. Going to an independent shop will just give the shop an excuse to charge you whatever they want for worthless tests (that they won't actually perform).

Just remember that the warranty does NOT cover driver error. If there is damage, you will be paying for it yourself unless you commit fraud.

Last edited by Gernby; 07-23-09 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-22-09, 06:06 PM
sgm250
Rookie

I certainly don't plan on taking it to Lexus and having them take apart my engine at my expense. Like I said, the car runs perfectly, for now, but I'm worried about the strain damage that may show up months or years down the road. My car feels tainted now, like I've compromised the reliability of the car, which was the reason I bought a Lexus in the first place. I also realize there is not much more that can be determined unless we actually disassemble the engine. Maybe I'll take advantage of these new car incentives and buy something else..

Quick Reply: BAAD mis-shift!