IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ML Audio questions about bass

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 04:27 PM
djrobsd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML Audio questions about bass

I really LOVE the Mark Levinson audio system in my 06 IS350. Unfortunately for me, I listen to every kind of music under the sun, and my ipod is on SHUFFLE most of the time so one minute I'll be listening to something like Andrea Bocelli, the next minute it might be Sade, and then after that it will be a hard punching house music remix with a lot of bass followed by some Black Eyed Peas.

So, my problem is this. Every time the song changes I feel like I have to manually adjust the bass level. When the Black Eyed peas comes on, the bass seems to punch too much and vibrate the rear deck of the car. I don't know if something has come loose or if this is just a factory issue. BTW, I am listening via the line in port and the headphone out jack on my ipod video. The problem is turning the bass down, it doesn't seem to have enough bass. However, turning the bass up when listening to a normal pop song is fine, but the deep bass in some of Sade's songs also has the same problem.

I don't suppose they have some EQ presets? Even then that would require me to change it every time the song changes. I guess I could just stop shuffling my music but that would take all the variety and fun out of my drive home from work!

Any ideas what I can do to improve my experience or is this just something I need to live with?
Old 07-22-09, 04:54 PM
scheme56
Driver School Candidate

Yes, same here. Love the ML package but the sub is sub-par. It feels pretty crappy to turn down the bass so the subwoofer doesn't distort only to have your vocals sound really thin. I've complained to the dealership about this and they will replace the sub for free (i have it on order) under my comprehensive warranty but if they give me the same brand/type/model, it won't be an improvement. I've heard of others using buying a separate aftermarket subwoofer and amp and tapping it from the stock subwoofer speaker wires. Some amps have built in line level inputs.
Old 07-23-09, 06:17 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If the sub distorts, it is probably blown. Many have had them replaced (Including myself).

For the OP; what you are experiencing is normal. I suggest you listen to each album separately and adj each accordingly. There are no EQ presets. The only separate EQ settings is when changing from cd to aux to fm, etc.

I also leave the sound control menu up on the screen so I can just kick it up or down as the recordings change.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 07-23-09 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 11:52 AM
djrobsd
Rookie

Thanks guys, I think the sub might be blown, as it does seem to distort any time I have a track with a lot of bass in it even when I turn it down around the half way mark at 38-40 volume... I guess I can take it back in and have them check it out.