IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ISP Mode vs G-Spyders

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 02:05 PM
Soba453
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISP Mode vs G-Spyders

Hm, my old thread got bugged out. (Delete other thread, sorry!)

I was going to ask for your guys opinions on the 18" ISP Mode and the 18" G-Spyder wheels. My special-ordered IS250 is coming in a few days, and I was going to swap out the 17" stock ones. I think that the ISP Modes definitely give off a more mature and sophisticated feel, while the G-Spyders are a little more aggressive and younger. I also don't want to go with aftermarket wheels, because I prefer a stock look. What do you guys think?

Extra question by the way: I wanted to purchase my wheels from Sewell, but I wanted to know if it was possible to have them be covered under the standard 4-year warranty. I know Sewell has a 1-year warranty on them. I spoke to my dealership, and he said it was possible if they were to be installed at the dealership -- he needed to check with the service and parts department though. Has anyone else done this before?

Last edited by Soba453; 07-24-09 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-24-09, 02:10 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote is for the ISP-Mode wheels. The G-Spyder wheels are very nice as well, but if you're like me, I don't want to have a set that is SO popular that many vehicles are starting to sport them. Hardly any Lexus vehicles have the ISP Mode wheels which makes it more unique IMO. I have some ISP Mode wheels on my LS430 and I love them. I was thinking about putting them on my SC430, but we'll have to wait and see until I change my tires. GL with the decision, but to be honest you can't go wrong choosing either.
Old 07-24-09, 02:15 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

G-Spyders FTW! The ISP wheels look too much like the old 300M wheels in my opinion, basically a dated (too mature) look. Plus I mesh wheels.

What are you doing with your car that you anticipate needing a 4 year warranty on the wheels? It takes quite a bit of force to brake them.

Last edited by Debonair; 07-24-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-24-09, 02:20 PM
Soba453
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Debonair

G-Spyders FTW! The ISP wheels look too much like the old 300M wheels in my opinion, basically a dated (too mature) look.

What are you doing with your car that you anticipate needing a 4 year warranty on the wheels? It takes quite a bit of force to brake them.
Nothing really. I'm just paranoid and cautious. Although, I have seen some rims that get rusted badly and have been replaced by warranty. So, I guess that's where some of my worry is coming from.
Old 07-24-09, 02:23 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by Soba453
Nothing really. I'm just paranoid and cautious. Although, I have seen some rims that get rusted badly and have been replaced by warranty. So, I guess that's where some of my worry is coming from.
Rust in Cali?!! Maybe near the coast or the snow and on some steel wheels. I doubt you have much to worry about with these.
Old 07-24-09, 02:29 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

I wish I got a 4 year warranty with my wheels. I had one crack and I had to fork over $700 for a new wheel to the dealership.
My manager has a 250 with ISP wheels, they look pretty nice, and another guy at my work has G-Spider's. I have the chromed six spoke wheels in 18" and I like that. It's just taste/preference, can't go wrong with any of the above.
Old 07-24-09, 02:31 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Comparing the wheels to what they "look like" (such as old 300M wheels) is not a very good gauge. For example, the 03+ MB SL500s have a multi-spoke AMG wheel that also looks like the ISPs; while the G-Spyders look like the Dodge Neon SRTs. Comparing what they look like isn't a good deciding factor. But again, both wheels are great.
Old 07-24-09, 02:33 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by playa3uhh
My vote is for the ISP-Mode wheels. The G-Spyder wheels are very nice as well, but if you're like me, I don't want to have a set that is SO popular that many vehicles are starting to sport them. Hardly any Lexus vehicles have the ISP Mode wheels which makes it more unique IMO. I have some ISP Mode wheels on my LS430 and I love them. I was thinking about putting them on my SC430, but we'll have to wait and see until I change my tires. GL with the decision, but to be honest you can't go wrong choosing either.
Can you post some pics of these wheels on your LS430?
Old 07-24-09, 02:54 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by playa3uhh
Comparing the wheels to what they "look like" (such as old 300M wheels) is not a very good gauge. For example, the 03+ MB SL500s have a multi-spoke AMG wheel that also looks like the ISPs; while the G-Spyders look like the Dodge Neon SRTs. Comparing what they look like isn't a good deciding factor. But again, both wheels are great.
I hate the multi-spoked wheels on all those cars /\

What they "look like" is the BEST deciding factor as this is what most people, and more importantly the OP, look for first in wheels.

"I think that the ISP Modes definitely give off a more mature and sophisticated feel[ing look], while the G-Spyders are a little more aggressive and younger [looking]. I also don't want to go with aftermarket wheels, because I prefer a stock look. What do you guys think?"

Its not like this is a case of forged vs. cast - the only difference here is the appearance right?
Old 07-24-09, 03:37 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

they are both ugly....
Old 07-24-09, 03:44 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the g-spyders better. it has a subtle, classic design.
Old 07-24-09, 03:45 PM
Soba453
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Debonair
I hate the multi-spoked wheels on all those cars /\

What they "look like" is the BEST deciding factor as this is what most people, and more importantly the OP, look for first in wheels.

"I think that the ISP Modes definitely give off a more mature and sophisticated feel[ing look], while the G-Spyders are a little more aggressive and younger [looking]. I also don't want to go with aftermarket wheels, because I prefer a stock look. What do you guys think?"

Its not like this is a case of forged vs. cast - the only difference here is the appearance right?
Right. I initially wanted to get the ISP mode and then my friend said he really preferred the G-Spiders, because the ISP-mode looked overly-mature. And so I came here to see if many people had similar opinions about both wheels, or maybe something that I overlooked. Funny thing is that I took a 15 minute break from work and saw a BMW outside that had wheels resembling the G-Spiders.

I asked my dealership if they had either one of the wheels on their cars so I could see it up close , but alas they did not. I have seen pictures on this forum with both of the wheels: an Obsidian with G-Spider and a Starfire Pearl (white?) with ISP Mode. My car is going to be Obsidian, so I wanted to find one with the ISP Modes. A lot of the ISX50s I've seen in my area, either have the stock 17s and 18s. I have seen a couple of G-Spiders, but I've yet to spot an ISP Mode.
Old 07-24-09, 03:59 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wolverine
they are both ugly....

I was beginning to think I was the only one that doesnt like G-Spiders at all.
Old 07-24-09, 04:02 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

I like my ISPs. Here's a pic before the drop. Photo courtesy of JavyLSU although I cropped the top portion out

ISP Mode vs G-Spyders-dsc01917ps-small-.jpg

Post drop on F-sport springs. The wheels will look a bit on the small side on the IS, but I like 18s because this is my DD and it's more comfortable to me.

ISP Mode vs G-Spyders-random-002-small-.jpg
Old 07-24-09, 04:11 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

i vote for G spyder

Quick Reply: ISP Mode vs G-Spyders