2009 IS 250 AWD Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 09:20 AM
kl323
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile 2009 IS 250 AWD Purchase

Hey all,

I've been checking out these two cars the past week. After having a close up look at both cars, the IS250's looks and comfort blew me away. It's not the the Bimmer didn't look good, it didn't look as good.

Regarding performance, I only had the opportunity to test drive the 250. I thought the 250's acceleration was sluggish (there was a noticeable throttle lag) and the torque wasn't that great. However, I guess it because the car was carrying four passengers. Also, you need to consider that I also drive an Accord (240hp) and and RDX so the comparison may be a little biased.

Anyway, I liked how the car sounded and how it handled. I really liked it.

I do have some questions though:

1) On the Lexus site, I'm trying to configure the packages and options. For the AWD, I'm only given two packages (Xenon or Navi). Of course, the Navi comes with the the HID as well, but on the bottom it says additional options (e.g. Luxury and Premium packages), but I can't add those. Are those already included then?

2) I've seen a varying amount of success in terms of negotiating down the price, but is Lexus relatively consistent with their pricing?

3) Any NYC/tri state dealer recommendations?

Thanks for reading! Look forward to your replies!
Old 07-26-09, 09:24 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats the IS250 may seem a little slugglish but with 205 horsepower is adequate for most needs. Negoaiting maybe a bit tough so dont lowball very fast take it slowly. As for packages I'm not sure. Enjoy your IS and welcome to club lexus
Old 07-26-09, 09:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kl323
Hey all,

I've been checking out these two cars the past week. After having a close up look at both cars, the IS250's looks and comfort blew me away. It's not the the Bimmer didn't look good, it didn't look as good.

Regarding performance, I only had the opportunity to test drive the 250. I thought the 250's acceleration was sluggish (there was a noticeable throttle lag) and the torque wasn't that great. However, I guess it because the car was carrying four passengers. Also, you need to consider that I also drive an Accord (240hp) and and RDX so the comparison may be a little biased.

Anyway, I liked how the car sounded and how it handled. I really liked it.

I do have some questions though:

1) On the Lexus site, I'm trying to configure the packages and options. For the AWD, I'm only given two packages (Xenon or Navi). Of course, the Navi comes with the the HID as well, but on the bottom it says additional options (e.g. Luxury and Premium packages), but I can't add those. Are those already included then?

2) I've seen a varying amount of success in terms of negotiating down the price, but is Lexus relatively consistent with their pricing?

3) Any NYC/tri state dealer recommendations?

Thanks for reading! Look forward to your replies!

The 250 really _is_ sluggish. Not like Prius slow, but I'd encourage you to test drive a 350, it's night and day... and with a set of winter wheels with GOOD snow tires you'll be just fine in the winter.

As to options, the lexus build-your-own thing will only show you cars as they tend to show up at dealers in your region. You can always special order a car -exactly- how you want it though.

HIDs have nothing to do with Nav BTW... HIDs are a standalone option, the only time they're on a car otherwise is if it has the Luxury package (or on a 350 they're also in the sport package)

you can see exactly how each package and option works for each model and is priced (MSRP anyway) here:
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

As far as negotiation, I can't speak to your region... in some areas (So Cal) you'll often hear of sales at, or even below, invoice due to tremendous competition... around here you can generally buy off-the-lot for around $500-1k over invoice. Edmunds.com can give you a pretty good idea of invoice pricing with options.
Old 07-26-09, 09:43 AM
kl323
Intermediate

Hey thanks for the replies!

I have been using Edmunds to price the car with options.

However, similar to what you said, the options that I can select is quite different from what I can get on the Lexus site. For instance, I can get nav as a standalone option on Edmunds, where as on Lexus, it'll be bunched with the ML sound system.

I will try to use Edmunds to get online quotes from dealer.

Also, are all dealers upfront with the invoice price? As I was negotiating yesterday, I sales person pulled out a sheet with the MSRP, Invoice, and Hold back. He was upfront about the invoice when I asked him, but I still don't think I got a very good deal. He offered 0.9% financing, but he's only giving me 6k for my 2003 Accord (which IMO and Kelley Blue Book is worth a lot more than that).
Old 07-26-09, 11:12 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

However, similar to what you said, the options that I can select is quite different from what I can get on the Lexus site. For instance, I can get nav as a standalone option on Edmunds, where as on Lexus, it'll be bunched with the ML sound system.
The build-your-own where you gave them your zip code will only show you the way the cars get shipped to your region. If they ONLY ship nav+ml, not nav alone, to your zip/region then that's all it will show.

The link I provided shows every -possible- way to option the car...

You can also ask your dealer to search national inventory if what you want IS built somewhere in the US then he can get it for you.

Or you can get -exactly- what you want by special ordering the car (but it'll take 2-3 months to get it)... This also allows you to get some combinations that aren't normally built in any region (my car for example has Mark Levinson -without- nav, I had to special order that since they don't build any by default that way, but it's possible as shown on the link I posted)

NOTE: Some dealers have no clue how to do a real special order, or will insist they don't discount such orders- if your dealer tells you either, find a better dealer. He's getting a guaranteed sale with no effort beyond some paperwork. There's a number of dealers who are very reasonable about doing special orders, I just don't know any off-hand in the NYC area.

Also, are all dealers upfront with the invoice price? As I was negotiating yesterday, I sales person pulled out a sheet with the MSRP, Invoice, and Hold back. He was upfront about the invoice when I asked him, but I still don't think I got a very good deal. He offered 0.9% financing, but he's only giving me 6k for my 2003 Accord (which IMO and Kelley Blue Book is worth a lot more than that).
Depends on the dealer... some will be, some will probably insist there's "hidden costs" he can't explain to you but that make the price higher.

As for your trade-in, you'll always get a lot more via private sale, but obviously that can be a bit more of a pain.

My personal opinion? Don't mention trade in, don't mention financing. Just negotiate the best possible price on the car you are buying (which ideally will be as close to invoice as possible) and THEN you can worry about the rest.

The dealers who use the 4-square worksheets with payments, trade-in, finance rate, etc, will juggle numbers around to confuse the buyer and make it look like you're getting a far better deal than you really are.

Another (relatively) hassle-free option, if there's a carmax in your area, they'll give you a free appraisal and offer on any used car, you can at least use that as a baseline to get some idea what it's worth to dealerships in the area if you don't want to sell it private party.
Old 07-26-09, 12:40 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

I will try to use Edmunds to get online quotes from dealer.

I would sell your car via autotrader.com - it was a great experience for me.
Old 07-26-09, 01:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The Lexus configurator isn't always accurate. Like when I bought my car in 2008, it was. Then today, I see the options don't match what all my local dealers have. So, I'd go to your local dealer and check each window sticker to see what's what.
Or better yet, email your local dealer's internet departments for what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay. When you get multiple dealers involved, the prices starts dropping fast due to competition.
Lastly, go back to Edmund's Town Square and see what others are getting theirs for in your region. Also keep in mind Lexus is giving dealers cash under the table for every IS sale. You should be getting yours for well under invoice.
Personally, I'd dump AWD unless you really really really think you need it. It just adds cost, weight, and hurts acceleration and feel economy. The RWD 250 is very livable in everyday driving.
Old 07-26-09, 02:44 PM
Maxximus
Driver

If it's within your range try to get to Prestige Lexus in North NJ. They offered me bluebook value on a trade in car
Old 07-26-09, 09:09 PM
kl323
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Lexus configurator isn't always accurate. Like when I bought my car in 2008, it was. Then today, I see the options don't match what all my local dealers have. So, I'd go to your local dealer and check each window sticker to see what's what.
Or better yet, email your local dealer's internet departments for what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay. When you get multiple dealers involved, the prices starts dropping fast due to competition.
Lastly, go back to Edmund's Town Square and see what others are getting theirs for in your region. Also keep in mind Lexus is giving dealers cash under the table for every IS sale. You should be getting yours for well under invoice.
Personally, I'd dump AWD unless you really really really think you need it. It just adds cost, weight, and hurts acceleration and feel economy. The RWD 250 is very livable in everyday driving.
Yeah I'd love to ditch the AWD. But my dad, whose really purchasing the car for me, wants it because it will handle better, thus safer.

Does anyone know when the 2010 model is coming out?
Old 07-26-09, 11:47 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I'd love to ditch the AWD. But my dad, whose really purchasing the car for me, wants it because it will handle better, thus safer.

Does anyone know when the 2010 model is coming out?
Point out to him that folks drove perfectly safely without AWD for most of the last century.

And most of them did it -without- the advanced traction and stability control systems the IS350 has on it.
Old 07-27-09, 03:15 PM
kl323
Intermediate

Alright, so I've sent a bunch of quote request and have been getting a steady stream of replies.

As of right now, everything seems to be about the same.

Most of the dealers have the car on their lots and most are equipped the same. Either with navi or no navi. If it has navi, it will come fully loaded.

MSRP that has been thrown around is 40,400 --- 40,600. (w/ navi and fully loaded)

One dealer said that the sell price will usually be around 37k depending on the sticker price.

Another dealer told me to come in and he'll show me the invoice price. From their, I'll be paying $500 over invoice for the car. Sounds nice, but I'm skeptical. However, he did seem honest. He told me to go to Edmunds and check how much the car goes for and the number that comes up will be about his (which I think is true).

Ideas? Thoughts on negotiation tactics? They seem pretty firm on prices. Mind you, I'm picking up a 09 model when the 2010 is right around the corner..
Old 07-27-09, 03:41 PM
kl323
Intermediate

Alright, I've pretty much gathered enough quotes to get an idea of how high they want to start at. My quotes are averaging at around $37300. For a fully loaded vehicle.

These configurations also include rear lip spoiler, all weather mats, wheel locks, cargo mat etc.

Edmund's TMV is giving me

$40,300 (MSRP) $36,211 (Invoice) $36,341 (True Market Value)

East coast cars are more likely to be loaded than not. Thoughts and ideas? I can't really take these quotes and bring it in and say, here match this..as I'm not saving that much to begin with...
Old 07-27-09, 04:07 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

I'm sorry, I have no advice...it's just that this title caught my eye because I’m going to trade in my 2006 IS 250 for a AWD in about a month or less. Living here in Utah with a RWD car has caused me some serious stress during the winter months. Some roads are plowed...others aren’t and I'm tired of getting stuck, slipping and sliding all the time....and I'm a verygood careful driver.

Anyway, My 06 IS 250 has 18,896 miles on it. Not bad for three years plus. I was told that I could or would get $24,500 for a trade in. Has the navi etc.

I just want to get a good deal that would make the trade in worthwhile.....something tells me that as soon as I trade my car in, I'll end up with a job back in Texas where I left…... LOL.

So, the art of negotiation is on my mind right now.....
Old 07-27-09, 05:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Alright, I've pretty much gathered enough quotes to get an idea of how high they want to start at. My quotes are averaging at around $37300. For a fully loaded vehicle.

These configurations also include rear lip spoiler, all weather mats, wheel locks, cargo mat etc.

East coast cars are more likely to be loaded than not. Thoughts and ideas? I can't really take these quotes and bring it in and say, here match this..as I'm not saving that much to begin with...

Just cuz people throwing around the "fully loaded" term drives me nuts...an actual "fully loaded" AWD 250 has an MSRP close to $46,000. Invoice on such on vehicle is nearly $41,000.

If your MSRP is $40,300 it's missing at least several major (price-wise) options. In fact I'd bet at that price it's missing: Mark Levinson, Pre-collision System, Park Assist, Headlamp washers, and XM radio.

You may or may not care about any of those features, but the car is far from "fully loaded"

as to the fact the 2010s are coming, yes, but not for a couple more months... Dealers generally don't get even their first ones till mid-late september, so we're roughly 2 months away from the 09s looking at all dated on their lots.

If you're willing to buy a leftover, and it seems like they've got a lotta inventory sitting around, and can afford to wait a few months, and don't care about the 09->10 changes, it's not a bad way to go...especially if the '10s have the vastly improved navigation systems that the IS-Cs got, because then the leftover 09s will look VERY dated.

Last edited by Kurtz; 07-27-09 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 06:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I've never seen Edmund's TMV accurate. I would not go by that. It could be a made up number that's dealer-generated for all we know. Best thing to do is go to Edmund's "Town Square" and research what people have been paying in your region for the IS. It can't get anymore accurate than first hand accounts.
To me, it sounds like you can do better. You should be well under invoice at this stage in the 2IS game. Deals are all over the place here in Los Angeles. Any major metropolitan region should have some competition and be dealing under invoice. Again, go to Edmunds and see what people are people. Them email dealer's internet departments to see who will go the lowest. Good luck!