IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Finding an IS 350 in NYC/Tri-State

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 07:38 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, the ratio of 250s to 350s produced (regardless of drivetrain) is about 4:1... and that's probably close to the ratio I see around here (RTP area of NC)... but it's about 20:1 RWD to AWD among the 250s... there's really NO good reason to have an AWD 250 here so it's pretty weird when I see one and figure it must be somebody who takes trips to the mountains a lot and doesn't know how to drive RWD properly.

I'm not sure your comment about district in any way disagrees with mine though, I didn't say it was done by state after all. 250s in the northeast mostly get AWD, and where you are is still considered "northeast" even though it really ought to not be.

(then again I think there's little reason to have an AWD car in most areas of the US, including much of what lexus counts as "north" but that's another story)
Old 07-30-09, 04:38 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Well, the ratio of 250s to 350s produced (regardless of drivetrain) is about 4:1... and that's probably close to the ratio I see around here (RTP area of NC)... but it's about 20:1 RWD to AWD among the 250s... there's really NO good reason to have an AWD 250 here so it's pretty weird when I see one and figure it must be somebody who takes trips to the mountains a lot and doesn't know how to drive RWD properly.
When I lived in Durham, Johnson Lexus (Southpoint) had like 20 IS's on the lot, but only 1 would be a 350. (obviously, that's on the lot, not what was actually sold)

Of course, considering the fact that the local dealer here in VA only has like 30 new Lexus' total (4-5 are IS's), I guess it's all relative.

I'm not sure your comment about district in any way disagrees with mine though, I didn't say it was done by state after all. 250s in the northeast mostly get AWD, and where you are is still considered "northeast" even though it really ought to not be.
It sounded like you were saying that it didn't matter where you lived on the eastcoast....and that it just depends on what lexus feels you should have.
But, in fact, it does depend on where you live, cause Lexus has it broken down to districts, and obviously the purchaser for the region buys their cars all equipped the same way. Thus, the region your state falls into will dictate the "typical" optioned car that you see at the lot.

From what I've been told, I don't think the individual dealership controls the purchases......it's controlled above them by the regional purchaser.
Old 07-30-09, 05:52 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Nothing to do with east coast, everything to do with where it snows.

Lexus thinks drivers are idiots who don't know how to drive properly or buy snow tires, so they tend to ship a lot of AWD cars up north, and the RWD 350s to areas it rarely snows.
Nope- Note I said it didn't have to do with coast, it had to do with "up north"

As in the north region gets AWD, the south region gets RWD. Both on the same east coast though.

Your part of VA is, kinda oddly, still in the "north" as far as Lexus is concerned.

I got mine from Johnson Lexus...The one in Raleigh had probably 10 350s on the lot, but none optioned the way I wanted, and they were offering a screw-job on numbers.

Over at Durham a friend hooked me up with the sales manager and I got an outstanding deal on a special order (since in -this- region you can't get sport package cars, and you can't get ML without nav anywhere without special order) so I dunno how many 350s the durham location had on the lot since I knew going in I wasn't looking for on-lot.
Old 07-30-09, 06:01 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Its the regional thing. Same with GS models, you cant purchase a RWD GS350 in NY. Well, you can, but you have to special-order it, and its going to cost you. Your best option is to buy the car out of state. I had to drive all the way to Atlanta, GA to buy a RWD GS. Dealers in NY did not even want to hear about RWD.
Old 07-30-09, 09:17 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope- Note I said it didn't have to do with coast, it had to do with "up north"

As in the north region gets AWD, the south region gets RWD. Both on the same east coast though.

Your part of VA is, kinda oddly, still in the "north" as far as Lexus is concerned.

I got mine from Johnson Lexus...The one in Raleigh had probably 10 350s on the lot, but none optioned the way I wanted, and they were offering a screw-job on numbers.

Over at Durham a friend hooked me up with the sales manager and I got an outstanding deal on a special order (since in -this- region you can't get sport package cars, and you can't get ML without nav anywhere without special order) so I dunno how many 350s the durham location had on the lot since I knew going in I wasn't looking for on-lot.

gotcha....I just read it wrong.

Our area is also odd because of the economy here. We are more of a Camry/Accord area, so BMW/Lexus/MB owners are typically thought of as "those people". Nothing like RTP or anywhere in Cali, where most drivers drive 3-series, etc.

But, yeah, y'all get much better allocation of cars than we do. If/when the time comes to buy a new lexus, I'm probably going to drive down to Johnson Lexus. Not only do they have more inventory (MUCH more), they were also MUCH friendlier than the one here.......they were even friendly when I would go there every 2 weeks to look at the IS's (I was having withdrawl cause I was living in Durham but my IS was in VA)

Last edited by mikes rx; 07-30-09 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-30-09, 03:32 PM
tw88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they are hard to find in the Northeast. I was lucky to find one (with the sport package too!) when I went shopping for mine. The dealer had to trade with another dealer but it was pretty painless.
Old 07-30-09, 06:33 PM
homerjay42
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I also found here in NJ is the to get the 250s in RWD were usually 6MT. When I first started shopping I was looking RWD only, and all the 250s I found were 6MT; I checked 4 dealers over a few months, no 250s RWD auto. In the end, I grabbed the IS350 and smile everytime I step on the gas.
Old 07-30-09, 06:37 PM
kl323
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by homerjay42
What I also found here in NJ is the to get the 250s in RWD were usually 6MT. When I first started shopping I was looking RWD only, and all the 250s I found were 6MT; I checked 4 dealers over a few months, no 250s RWD auto. In the end, I grabbed the IS350 and smile everytime I step on the gas.
Did you get the color you wanted? Carsdirect found a car for me with the color I want. However, it comes only with sports package and navi. I want the premium and luxury package as well... Also, they want $41k
Old 07-30-09, 06:46 PM
homerjay42
Rookie

Originally Posted by kl323
Did you get the color you wanted? Carsdirect found a car for me with the color I want. However, it comes only with sports package and navi. I want the premium and luxury package as well... Also, they want $41k
I was able to get it the way I wanted. Black/cashmire, Nav, Prem, Lux, 18s.

I will PM you my contact.
Old 07-30-09, 07:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

FYI for the last 2 posters- you can't get a RWD 2IS with the premium _and_ lux packages.

The lux package contains everything that's in the premium package (and more).
Old 07-30-09, 08:00 PM
kl323
Intermediate

Ah thanks for the heads up.

I'm just trying to price my car on Edmunds.

When optioning the 350, they have the luxury plus and premium plus options to select. So that got me confused.
Old 07-30-09, 08:11 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, Edmunds optioner isn't smart enough to exclude overlapping packages.... (I think it'll even let you select both lux packages at the same time, despite them being identical other than one coming with 18s and one not)

To see what's actually in what package try:
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html
Old 07-31-09, 03:19 AM
homerjay42
Rookie

FYI for the last 2 posters- you can't get a RWD 2IS with the premium _and_ lux packages.

The lux package contains everything that's in the premium package (and more).

I will get the straight one of these days....
Old 08-01-09, 06:20 PM
kl323
Intermediate

Do all IS 350 built in the NE come with the luxury package (power rear shade, power steering wheel, etc)?

I'm holding a vehicle inquiry sheet with an MSRP of $43335.

The only options I see are:

FL 18in 5-spoke alloy wheel
HW Headlamp washers
PA Intuitive parking assist
Z1 Preferred accessories package
HL HID lights
NV Navigation
PT Premium Package

The dealer says this car has the power steering wheel, power rear shade, along with all the features of the luxury package. However, like I said, the Luxury package is not found on the sheet.

With that MSRP, I would assume that he's not lying.

Ideas?
Old 08-01-09, 06:42 PM
irfan
Rookie

how many dealers did you call? i live in ohio, last november flew to NJ to get my 350 b/c they had one with the ML package. got mine at Lexus of Englewood, year end clearance, awesome deal.

Quick Reply: Finding an IS 350 in NYC/Tri-State