IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Finally Joining the Club (2006 IS350)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 11:32 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Joining the Club (2006 IS350)

After months of lurking while taking care of other obligations I've finally found and commited to buying a 2006 IS350. It's Black on Black with 58,000 miles, Navigation, Luxury package, rear view camera, and the rear lip/spoiler. The car was at a used car lot that specializes in high end cars. Rather then going directly thru them I managed to get it thru a broker who was able to get the price down to 22,500 and is putting it thru a seperate inspection. As long as it passes inspection I should pick up the car in 2 days.

Anything I should know ahead of time to expect from a 2006 (reliability or work needed)? I will most likely have the oil changed immediately and switch to synthetic. I'll definitely be tinting the windows within a week.

Long term I want to switch the wood grain out for the aluminum trim. Is there anywhere cheaper then sewell to get the kit ($500)? Has anyone had any experience with simply covering the wood grain. There is a shop around me that specializes in interiors and has been in business upwards of 50 years. I know they could do some coverings but I was wondering has anyone done this on top of there wood grain and how it would look compared to the actual aluminum kit.

I didnt see them listed on Sewell, how much and where can I get (anywhere besides Lexus but if not anyone know the price) the metal pedals? (Foot rest, brake, gas).

I've seen a thread on hacking the nav to allow ipod control while moving, has anyone had an actual shop do this or is this something I would have to attempt on my own? Are the add on systems (forgot the companies name, starts with a v) that plug in any good or worth the time?

Another question. The car has parking sensors/parking assist. How does this work, what exactly does it do?

Last edited by AdioKIP; 07-29-09 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 11:40 AM
iLexi
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratz n welcome (;
Old 07-29-09, 12:29 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Almost everything you need to learn or mod your car is on this forum. You just have to search for it. Sewell has the sport pedals on sale right now but only for a few more days. Look in the CL vendor thread for their F-Sport post and coupon code. Vais Tech is probably is the company you are looking for to integrate your Ipod on your Nav.. Again search for the reviews and decide. For the Nav hack, it is very easy to do if you are comfortable with removing the unit and wiring. If not, have a shop do it for you. Post some pix of your new ride when you get it. Welcome to CL
Old 07-29-09, 12:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats on your new purchase, sounds like an excellent car. No need to worry about reliability.
Old 07-29-09, 12:56 PM
AdioKIP
Driver

Originally Posted by A1Lexis
Almost everything you need to learn or mod your car is on this forum. You just have to search for it. Sewell has the sport pedals on sale right now but only for a few more days. Look in the CL vendor thread for their F-Sport post and coupon code. Vais Tech is probably is the company you are looking for to integrate your Ipod on your Nav.. Again search for the reviews and decide. For the Nav hack, it is very easy to do if you are comfortable with removing the unit and wiring. If not, have a shop do it for you. Post some pix of your new ride when you get it. Welcome to CL
Thanks for the advice. I've been lurking and doing alot of reading on the forums. You were correct, Vaistech was what I was referring to. Reading some reviews now but I'm still not to clear exactly what it does since the stock Nav is Ipod compatible already?? I'll probably understand better once I've actually gotten the car and tried everything.

Looking at sewell again, trying to find the pedals on sale, will definitely be ordering if the price is good.
Old 07-29-09, 01:12 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the link you need for Sewell. It ends on July 31. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...2009-deal.html If you have the cash, you can't go wrong with the F-Sport rear sway, intake and exhaust for your IS350.
Old 07-29-09, 01:20 PM
AdioKIP
Driver

Found the thread with the code and they brought the pedals down to a reasonable price. As soon as I get the call that the car has passed inspection I'll place my order for the pedals.

Since sewell has such a good deal going on, is ordering the lowering springs without the shocks a good idea? I wouldnt mind dropping the car slightly, right now on my budget with the deal Sewell has I can order the springs but the shocks would be a little more then i want to spend right now.
Old 07-29-09, 01:20 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

I have a 06' Blk/Blk as well...If anything that i can recommend is putting on the rear F-Sport sway..Since you have the 350 you only need the rear..if you get it from Sewell tell them you have a 350 & they will sell you the AWD rear..Also redout the tail lights looks better, The 06' is the Black Onyx after 06' they painted them Obsidian black...So if you happen to put on any lips prob have to get the Obsidian...If you do i looks fine..I have the obsidian front lip & you really can't tell....The lips front & rear from what i was told are discontinued..So finding the Onyx maybe be hard..Just wanted to throw that out...Other than that welcome...Enjoy
Old 07-29-09, 01:22 PM
AdioKIP
Driver

Originally Posted by A1Lexis
Here is the link you need for Sewell. It ends on July 31. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...2009-deal.html If you have the cash, you can't go wrong with the F-Sport rear sway, intake and exhaust for your IS350.
Saw your post right after I found it. Thanks anyway. Because of the deal they have going I'm already adding things to my cart but I definitely cant spring for the intake right now. Right now I'm thinking of ordering the lowering springs and the pedals.
Old 07-29-09, 04:01 PM
hmsis250
Pole Position

welcome! I just used the nefty wrap carbon fabric to cover my wood grain interior. It looks a lot better!
Old 07-29-09, 04:36 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice choice... w/ an 06 blk on blk.
Old 07-29-09, 05:19 PM
AdioKIP
Driver

Originally Posted by Shoganai
Nice choice... w/ an 06 blk on blk.
Thank You. For awhile Black was my first choice but then I was hoping to find it in Smokey Granite. When it was time to buy though the one that came along in the right price with the right features happened to be black. Interior wise I wouldnt have gone with anything but black leather.

The car was delivered to the broker today, inspection is in the morning, hopefully they wont find any issues with the car... If they do though I'm glad they do before I accept the car since its not under warranty. Anybody know if its possible to get a Lexus extended warranty even though the car is no longer covered at all?
Old 07-29-09, 05:29 PM
gemini1
FNM President

Congrats and Welcome to CL.
Old 07-29-09, 05:42 PM
GS3T
Lead Lap

congrats and welcome to CL
Old 07-29-09, 06:03 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Congrats and welcome to CL, hope your inspection in clean and problem free

Quick Reply: Finally Joining the Club (2006 IS350)