IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Scratched my IS 350 tungsten pearl ( silver)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09 | 02:04 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vdubturbo
My experience hasn't been good thus far. My blackberry scratched the left rear door when I was getting into the car and I already have a large rock chip on the right front fender. I'm not impressed with the durability of the paint so far...

I'd love to know how this scratch repair goes. I'm probably next in line.

I don't have pics to show, but this is the process I've taken over time with touch-up paint, and worked like a charm.

TOOLS:
- Touch-up Paint (highly recommend to use manufacturer/Lexus brand only)
- Fine and medium brush (can buy at art store, OSH or Home Depot)
- Masking tape (use beige color only) (can buy at same stores)
- Sand paper 600 and 900 grid (can buy at same stores)
- Scratch remover (Mothers) (auto store)
- Carnuba Wax/detailer (Mothers) (auto store)

NOTE: If you have never done touchup paint. I highly suggest you practice touchup painting with an old car or bike because it may sound easy to do, but you really need to practice first.

STEPS:

1. Clean the area (scratch/chip) with alcohol.

2. Tape around the damage area leaving 1mm of space in between. 1mm spacing will be useful when you start to wet sand.

Purpose of taping the area? It will enable you to work on that area only, without damaging OEM paint. Purpose of wet sanding? In order for you to get a smooth or even paint by wet sanding, you have to touchup outside the damage area as well, kinda like a band aid. But you will sand/rub off the part you dont need. Hope that made sense.

3. Shake the touchup paint well; the longer you shake the better result. Also, before applying shake well again. TU Paint are like freakn' snow globes. If you let it sit long enough, the snow falls.

4. Type of art brushes to use (use your best judgement). But for small scratches/chips, I always use a fine brush, feels like Im holding a fine pencil - very precise. As I mentioned above, just don't use the brush provided by manufactures, they SU#K!!
Now apply 2 strokes of paint (with fine brush) over the area. You will notice even after applying two strokes of paint, it still looks transparent; thats how it should look. It is your base coat (so to speak) or acting as a primer. DO NOT add anymore touch-up paint. Let the base coat/primer dry for 30-45mins. or use your best judgement.

5. Do step #4 again. Continue the steps (paint and dry all day) or until you are satisfied with the base color.

What is a base color on a 2 stage touchup paint? A base color (for example on a Starfire Pearl) is Flat White. 2nd Stage is clearcoat, which will add the pearl.

6. Let the base color dry/harden overnight.

7. Wake up, its time for the fun part...wet sanding the paint. Make sure you still have the masking tape around the area you touched-up...leaving 1mm space in between.

8. Clean area with alcohol before you wet sand.

9. Use 600 grid sandpaper. Cut the paper into a small piece, usually I cut
1 1/2" x 1 1/2". Reason being, you will only use your index finger to wet sand/rub the touched-up area. By using your index finger, you will have a better feel (like holding a pencil) on how much pressure you need to rub and at the same time you will slowly see the paint thin/even/feel smooth with the OEM paint. When you are happy with the result, stop!

10. Remove the masking tape. If you are not happy yet, tape the area again and wet sand/rub some more. When all is done, you will notice the area is now nice and smooth but it still looks dull/flat color, as it should.

11. Now take the clearcoat, shake well and do step 4, 5 & 6 again.

12. Wake up...time to wet sand/rub using 900 (or even finer grid if you like) to rub some of excess clearcoat.

Now rub a tad of scratch remover on the area, and rub some carnuba wax thereafter. If done correctly, you will not notice there was a scratch/chip there.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by JVT; 07-30-09 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-30-09 | 02:50 PM
Bodz123
Rookie

I'd suggest to anyone who has the time. Call lexus and complain about their crappy paint (I did). This is B.S. I have had 4 lexus vehicles over the years and have never had as much as a VERY minor rock chip.......That is until I got this IS. It pisses me off to even think about it. If Lexus wants to maintain their customer base they need to get this crap fixed.
Old 07-30-09 | 04:10 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I really dont think anything can happen by complaining because Lexus as well as all manufacturers out there had to switch to water based paints which is thinner and im guessing weaker compared to the oil based paints they used to use.

At least our cars have very minimal orange peel
Old 08-04-09 | 10:07 AM
aboss3
Driver

If Lexus paint doesn't work - there's always AutoZone
Old 08-04-09 | 07:28 PM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bodz123
I'd suggest to anyone who has the time. Call lexus and complain about their crappy paint (I did). This is B.S. I have had 4 lexus vehicles over the years and have never had as much as a VERY minor rock chip.......That is until I got this IS. It pisses me off to even think about it. If Lexus wants to maintain their customer base they need to get this crap fixed.
i agree with you! i have the car for only 3 months, its already stone ship here and there...im totally pissed! and my car is black ,makes it even more noticeable!!
Old 08-05-09 | 12:59 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you JVT for the detailed information.

sorry for the delay on pictures here are some pictures
http://img11.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc00450xef.jpg
kind of hard to see. but the spot used to be black and that paint was the paint i got from Kragen which didn't really match. i just bought my touch up paint from lexus today for 13 dollars plused tax. i guess i will just let it sit around first and use it elsewhere later
Old 10-20-11 | 01:53 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rule1223
i agree with you! i have the car for only 3 months, its already stone ship here and there...im totally pissed! and my car is black ,makes it even more noticeable!!
Same issue here as well. Is it because our car's are aerodynamically designed to attract more stones to chip our cars often. This is a trade off for good looks i guess.
Old 10-20-11 | 02:36 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Due to environmental regulations, car paint is now water-based and less durable, leading to more rock chips.
Old 10-20-11 | 04:37 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Here is my suggestion, stand a bit further from you car then those little rock chips and scratches would not be so noticeable and you be less paranoid about it. Remember it is a car, needs to face all kinds of different road conditions and dirt and dust and rocks flew all over your paint here and there sooner or later no matter how careful you are. If the scratches are not too big, use some touch up to hide it and then learn to ignore. If you care so much about paint, next time buy a silver or white car, it would look the same through years. No need to scrutinize your car paint, please.........you would buy your next car before you know it. And yes, Lexus 2IS's paint is too soft and can't withstand any kinds of rough edges massaging it.
Old 10-20-11 | 05:07 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
Same issue here as well. Is it because our car's are aerodynamically designed to attract more stones to chip our cars often. This is a trade off for good looks i guess.
I was told by a body shop that since the car's front end is so low, and the angle of the hood being so sloped, that rocks tend to hit the hood head on making moar rock chips. They even advised me not to repaint it cuz it would happen again. Get some clear bra.