IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Scratched my IS 350 tungsten pearl ( silver)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 08:52 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scratched my IS 350 tungsten pearl ( silver)

hey guys just scratched my IS 350 on the bumper a bit. it hurts so much to see that black spot on the back of my bumper. just wondering what universal paint would you guys recommand me to buy ? just bought a silver paint for toyota at kragen's but it didn't really match the color i have on right now.
i tried to find a tungsten pearl ( silver) universal paint but no luck...

what would you guys suggest?

thanks in advance!
Old 07-29-09, 08:59 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

they sell touch-up paint at delerships
Old 07-29-09, 09:16 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

thank you so much !!!do you know how much they might cost?
Old 07-29-09, 09:27 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10 bucks? Try to talk to the service advisor at your dealership. They gave me one for free because I ask them .
Old 07-29-09, 09:28 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

Its a two stage touch-up paint.

Lexus sells the touch-up paint and clearcoat around $35.00.

Pearl color is the toughest to match (so I highly suggest you only use Lexus touchup paint). And if you are good with touchup paint (know the proper stages), you will not even notice the scratch/chip when you are done.
Old 07-29-09, 09:35 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

i kinda used a silver universal paint and it doesn't match at all.>_< yeah i have never used a touch up paint before so i have no knowledge of how to do it. wish me luck tough...
Old 07-29-09, 10:01 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

this reminds me ... i need to get some red (3r1) touch up paint next time i go in to the dealership ... I have a rock chip that on my hood that left bare metal
Old 07-29-09, 10:07 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by someboy
i kinda used a silver universal paint and it doesn't match at all.>_< yeah i have never used a touch up paint before so i have no knowledge of how to do it. wish me luck tough...
PM Sent. Once you get Lexus touch-up paint, I'll be more than happy to give you step by step process to repair the scratch/chip by using a touchup paint.
Old 07-29-09, 10:29 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

thank you JVT i will Pm you back once i got the touch up paint. anyways... i think its too late to remove the universal paint. i put it on about 5 hours before i posted this thread...
Old 07-29-09, 10:44 PM
leokcm
Driver School Candidate

You can make it up perfactly with the $9.99 touch up paint at dealership and acetone

at auto zone.

After you apply the touch up paint on that part and wipe it up with a plain cloth wet by

little acetone!!!
Old 07-29-09, 10:53 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

thank you JVT i will Pm you back once i got the touch up paint. anyways... i think its too late to remove the universal paint. i put it on about 5 hours before i posted this thread...
You're welcome! Try using Goo Gone to remove the touchup paint. If you can not remove it, try nail polish remover. Use Q-tip and just be careful when you apply nail polish remover, possibility of burning your paint/thin the paint even more.

On my AMG, nail polish does not damage the paint at all. But on Lexus I'm not sure the quality of paint. Lexus can be thin or can be 3-4 stage paint process.

BTW: How big is the scratch? Can you post pic or PM me?

Last edited by JVT; 07-30-09 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 11:20 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Its like $14 at the dealership. I used it all the time on my IS300 for the little rock chips. Worked pretty good.
Old 07-29-09, 11:27 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

the scratch was pretty small, its at the bottom corner on the rear bumper, not really noticable. its just that i have only gotten the car for roughly 2 weeks and i already scratched. i feel bad about it. i will take some pictures when i have time. i am having my mid term tomorrow, so might not have the time.

so the touch up paint you guys were talking about. is it like a bottle where you spray the paint onto the car? or is it like those universal paint, where you use something like a little pen? or like a small brush?
Old 07-29-09, 11:37 PM
illmike
Lead Lap

the scratch was pretty small, its at the bottom corner on the rear bumper, not really noticable. its just that i have only gotten the car for roughly 2 weeks and i already scratched. i feel bad about it. i will take some pictures when i have time. i am having my mid term tomorrow, so might not have the time.

so the touch up paint you guys were talking about. is it like a bottle where you spray the paint onto the car? or is it like those universal paint, where you use something like a little pen? or like a small brush?
my dealership sold me one with a pen on one end and a brush on the other...

Pick up a kit like this...

http://www.magictouchinc.com/

I used something similar when my car was black... couldn't even tell it was there after i was done.
Old 07-30-09, 05:38 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Originally Posted by JVT
You're welcome! But on Lexus I'm not sure the quality of paint. Lexus can be thin or can be 3-4 stage paint process.
My experience hasn't been good thus far. My blackberry scratched the left rear door when I was getting into the car and I already have a large rock chip on the right front fender. I'm not impressed with the durability of the paint so far...

I'd love to know how this scratch repair goes. I'm probably next in line.

Quick Reply: Scratched my IS 350 tungsten pearl ( silver)