IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ticketed for Front window tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 10:00 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Funny how people tint their front windshield and btch about getting a ticket when you ALL know it's illegal. Sorry didn't mean to sound like a jackass.
LMAO thats true.. im always blasting my AC with the windows down now.. Damn i only have a month left to pay for my fix it ticket
Old 07-30-09, 10:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phil888
LMAO thats true.. im always blasting my AC with the windows down now.. Damn i only have a month left to pay for my fix it ticket
Was yours for tint too? How dark was it?
Old 07-30-09, 11:45 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell me about it...I got my first tint ticket (back in 2006) in Simi Valley...I think it was near Tapo Canyon exit...I have no idea where the CHP came from...but now I will be taking the 101 to the 23 to visit my friends place in Moorpark. Dam Valley cops, They should out looking for speeders and reckless drivers...And she also got me for my plate.
Old 07-31-09, 01:17 AM
Mnguyen409
Driver School Candidate

mang iono i guess i live in PA,TX and i dont want to jinks myself but i still dont have a ticket over tint and i have 3% all around....
Old 07-31-09, 08:31 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

LOL

When I had my IS300, I had darker tint on the drivers doors. It was 5:30am, completely dark out. I am rolling up to a stop sign (in the left hand turn lane) and I see a motorcycle cop in the lane to go straight.

I roll down my window, long before I approach the light. When my light turns green, he gets behind me to pull me over for tint!! He said he saw me roll down my window.

So while I'm being ticketed (pulled over in a parking lot), a construction worker parks next to me. He asks if I have been ticketed for XYXYX (whatever the code is for tint).

The cop says "hey that's pretty good you know the code". The guy says, "yeah, at one point I was studying to be a cop until I realized you guys are such a bunch of a-holes"

I damn near pissed myself, that made it all worth it.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yep, I have 35% on all windows except windshield of course.

I can't be bothered with the rolling down windows every time I pass a Starbucks or doughnut shop.
Old 08-01-09, 09:27 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Funny how people tint their front windshield and btch about getting a ticket when you ALL know it's illegal. Sorry didn't mean to sound like a jackass.

I agree. I have my windshield tinted and I consider the tickets as a tax to have my tint dark. I've been addicted to full car tinting since my first car back in 1987. Since then - 22 years straight I have never owned a car w/o full tint. So far only two tickets. One in 1991 - 15$ and this past year for my IS - $98. All together its still cheaper than fixing the leather on your dash or seats! I have heard a lot af areas cracking down and wanting the "easy" revenue. There have been reports on the news that ticketing has skyrocket (for all offences) as a way to make up for lost taxes due to foreclosures, bad economy, etc. Ticket prices have been raised through the roof. Sad.......the easier route is not always the best. Band-aids don't fix broken bones. I'm not b!tc hing - Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by Keith13b; 08-01-09 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Can't spell worth a sh....
Old 08-01-09, 10:48 AM
yOyOYoo
Rookie

Cool

Originally Posted by rscott22
Hey guys if you are having problems do what I did and go to your eye doctor and tell them that the sunlight really bothers your eyes. They will give you and excuse to have window tint no lie! I used it twice now and the cop let me go both times. =)

No way! I am an eye doctor and I would never tell a patient to tint the front of their car. I'd just tell them to get some sunglasses!
Old 08-01-09, 10:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
No way! I am an eye doctor and I would never tell a patient to tint the front of their car. I'd just tell them to get some sunglasses!
Because if you drive at night, the tinted windshield becomes a problem.
Old 08-01-09, 01:06 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith13b
I agree. I have my windshield tinted and I consider the tickets as a tax to have my tint dark. I've been addicted to full car tinting since my first car back in 1987. Since then - 22 years straight I have never owned a car w/o full tint. So far only two tickets. One in 1991 - 15$ and this past year for my IS - $98. All together its still cheaper than fixing the leather on your dash or seats! I have heard a lot af areas cracking down and wanting the "easy" revenue. There have been reports on the news that ticketing has skyrocket (for all offences) as a way to make up for lost taxes due to foreclosures, bad economy, etc. Ticket prices have been raised through the roof. Sad.......the easier route is not always the best. Band-aids don't fix broken bones. I'm not b!tc hing - Just my .02 cents.
Leather should not crack from sun exposure if you do normal, recommended maintenance. (Plus, do we all really keep these cars for twenty plus years?)The days of having to cover your seats with clear plastic, covering the rear hat shelf with afghans, and splattering greasy "protectants" on the dash are over. Today's cars are built much differently than cars thirty years ago. If leather is cracking on a modern car, it's due to defective material, excessive dirt, oils, chemicals, or improper care by the owner.
I am all for window tinting, but not for the purpose of protecing the seats.
Old 08-01-09, 02:28 PM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

wow thats stupid as hell....i thought 50% was legal everywhere

i thought cal was easy on the driver
Old 08-01-09, 05:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by niteLEX
wow thats stupid as hell....i thought 50% was legal everywhere

i thought cal was easy on the driver
Enforcement is spotty at best.
Old 08-01-09, 06:04 PM
Heavens1st
Driver School Candidate

I live in Simi so thanks for the heads-up myfriend. I've never had a problem with Simi PD, but the CHP's around here are busy on the freeways the last few months...
Old 08-01-09, 06:36 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

got pulled for 50%....u can just taste the BS
Old 08-01-09, 06:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by w1ck3d64
got pulled for 50%....u can just taste the BS
Agreed, 50% ticket means they are wasting time and money for no good reason. I have 50% on the 2 front windows of my utility SUV (Jeep) and it attracts 0 attention. The factory tint on the rest of the rear windows is close to 25%.
Old 08-01-09, 07:00 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Dude i just got pulled over last week & got a fix-it-ticket for my tint...I was in Van Nuys area...Sucks there was an accident..So I went into the neighbor hood to go around it..The cop just happen to drive by & pulled a U turn right away..I was like awwww crap yup tint...2 seconds later i am pulled over & he says the same thing...They just got out of briefing & his chief said they have to start giving tickets.....Cop was like dude i really like your car & don't want to give the ticket but...It's coming down from the heads...SO yeah to all SoCal Lexus front tinted windows(Driver & Passenger) they are getting more strict about it...The Cop told me "NO TINT AT ALL ON THE FRONT 2 WINDOWS"....

Quick Reply: Ticketed for Front window tint