IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help - F-Sport Springs - Which ones are front?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 03:05 PM
is350wh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help - F-Sport Springs - Which ones are front?

I got my springs. I'm going to put on the Tein silencers before I take the springs to get them installed.

Two springs are longer and two are shorter. Which ones go to the front and which ones go to the rear?

The longer springs are spaced out on one end and tightly spaced on the other end.

ALSO, one end of each spring has "flat." I am pretty sure this part will be on the bottom (nearest the ground), but please verify that.

Thanks
Old 07-30-09, 05:10 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The longer ones are the rear. and the shorter are the front.
Old 07-30-09, 07:10 PM
is350wh
Driver

Thanks for your help, mikez. Are the front springs progressive? I ask because they are evenly spaced.

I am assuming the loops on the longer (back) springs are spaced differently because they are progressive. True?
Old 07-30-09, 07:45 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are progressive (front and rear), the rear, where the coils are closer together, is the cause of the famous "clunking" noise when the coils compact together during large bumps and dips.
Old 07-30-09, 07:48 PM
is350wh
Driver

Okay. I'm putting the Tein silencers on right now. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-30-09, 08:22 PM
09ISboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems like u have most of the f sport accessories

what i want next is brakes , those look sexy.
Old 07-30-09, 09:30 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

I'm expecting an extensive review after the install.

Enjoy the springs! You'll feel some difference.
Old 07-31-09, 08:35 AM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

on the springs themself you will see a number on the coils, it's the part numberat the very ned of that number you will see an F or R. thats for front and rear spring.
Old 07-31-09, 08:57 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Good luck with the install... I put in my front Tein S-techs last weekend, I'll finish it all on Saturday.

Compressing the springs is the most annoying part.
Old 07-31-09, 10:12 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is350wh
I got my springs. I'm going to put on the Tein silencers before I take the springs to get them installed.

Two springs are longer and two are shorter. Which ones go to the front and which ones go to the rear?

The longer springs are spaced out on one end and tightly spaced on the other end.

ALSO, one end of each spring has "flat." I am pretty sure this part will be on the bottom (nearest the ground), but please verify that.

Thanks
Can I ask where you got your Tein silencers from and what size?
Old 07-31-09, 08:57 PM
is350wh
Driver

I did decide to skip the shocks, 19" wheels, and brakes. I would love to have added those parts as well, but it starts to add up fast.

I figured I would try the springs without the shocks. If I don't like them, I may switch them out with some Megan coilovers. The installation cost would probably be about the same as going back to stock.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Yes, I am planning post a review when they're done.

I got the Tein silencers from Options Auto Salon. They shipped "right" away, and they got the order right. I got the mediums, 90-130. They fit perfectly. Very easy to put on. They are slit down the middle around the inside of the loops, which means they could be put on after the springs are already installed.

The installation is scheduled for next week. I couldn't get my local dealer to install them for a low enough price, so I am using another dealer that gave me a better quote. My local dealer decided not to budge on the price - which is amazing to me, considering this terrible economy. $ is $! Oh well.
Old 08-03-09, 09:59 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is350wh
I did decide to skip the shocks, 19" wheels, and brakes. I would love to have added those parts as well, but it starts to add up fast.

I figured I would try the springs without the shocks. If I don't like them, I may switch them out with some Megan coilovers. The installation cost would probably be about the same as going back to stock.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Yes, I am planning post a review when they're done.

I got the Tein silencers from Options Auto Salon. They shipped "right" away, and they got the order right. I got the mediums, 90-130. They fit perfectly. Very easy to put on. They are slit down the middle around the inside of the loops, which means they could be put on after the springs are already installed.

The installation is scheduled for next week. I couldn't get my local dealer to install them for a low enough price, so I am using another dealer that gave me a better quote. My local dealer decided not to budge on the price - which is amazing to me, considering this terrible economy. $ is $! Oh well.
Cool, I bought my silencers today. I bought the springs last week, and I'm hoping they ship this week, but I haven't heard from Sewell yet.
Old 08-03-09, 10:20 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

yeah for sure you will feel a difference. I (is350) had no silencers and never heard a clunk even on bumps with f-sport shocks and springs before. I think its more of a hit or miss.

Then i sold it to my good friend (is250), and once i got in his car, i heard clunks. very very odd.

He got silencers and put I think 2-3 on the rear, and now very very hard to hear a sound on bumps. you will be very very satisfied either way