IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

black and white video on vaistech unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 01:51 PM
silentbob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black and white video on vaistech unit

has anyone ran into any issues with playing back only black and white video on their sl2vi in their IS? i'm about to pull the trigger on a unit, but i've read that there are some cases where it will only output black and white video if hooked up to an ipod touch 2g. i know it's a long shot, but does anyone have a touch 2g that can successfully play color videos with their vaistech? thanks for the help!
Old 07-31-09, 06:20 PM
bakudanboy
Driver School Candidate

yeah, my 160GB classic doesn't work. only black/white, sometimes no audio.
Old 07-31-09, 11:16 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

same here, I had a 2G itouch and it only played back black and white video
Old 08-04-09, 09:54 AM
aboss3
Driver

and it also doesn't work with aftermarket Sirius receivers. iphone video is fine.
Old 08-04-09, 10:17 AM
silentbob
Driver

thanks guys. i think i'll pull the trigger on an sl2vi anyway b/c it looks like the best ipod interface option out there, but i'll probably look on craigslist or something for a used 16gb nano or something...i figure a flash drive ipod will last much longer than a hard drive ipod...
Old 08-04-09, 11:58 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Wow...Maybe I am the lucky one who hasn't had a problem yet... my 160g classsic and itouch both plays in color.....but the real treat for me was the touch screen interface and the sound quality you get from not having to use the aux input.. the music was 10x better..get it!!!
Old 08-04-09, 12:27 PM
silentbob
Driver

Originally Posted by jns350
Wow...Maybe I am the lucky one who hasn't had a problem yet... my 160g classsic and itouch both plays in color.....but the real treat for me was the touch screen interface and the sound quality you get from not having to use the aux input.. the music was 10x better..get it!!!
do you have a 1g or 2g itouch?
Old 08-04-09, 12:45 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

^^^^ I have to check..it's belongs to my wife..I'll post what version after work..let you know soon
Old 08-04-09, 02:38 PM
charles87k
Rookie

i have the 1g ipod touch and the videos showed color at first. then all of a sudden one day it just started showing black and white. i think it might be an ipod firmware issue because i noticed it didnt start happening until after i updated it.
Old 08-31-09, 03:09 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by charles87k
i have the 1g ipod touch and the videos showed color at first. then all of a sudden one day it just started showing black and white. i think it might be an ipod firmware issue because i noticed it didnt start happening until after i updated it.
yeah, that's why. I bought my 2008 IS 350 new in January and a few months after put the Sl2vi in. But I had not done the navi hacks yet so (since I had to be parked w/ emergency brake on) I just watched very little video here and there - mainly to show off the capability to friends. It was working fine.

Well I finally got around to doing the navi hacks so that I can watch video on the go. But now after not even an hour of constantly watching, the screen is black and white. I called VAIS and apparently it's an iPod Touch 2g thing. Now I don't know what to do. I have a 32gb iPod Touch 2g which was quite a bit of money. I really don't want to have to replace it w/ a 3g one when it rolls out - if that even solves the problem.

Originally Posted by charles87k
the person I called at VAIS's tech support (Mike) made it seem like it was always there so I'm not sure it has to do w/ the iPod Touch's latest firmware. but I did update recently for $9.99.

I feel a bit misled because I remember in my PMs and the group buy forum I did say what I had and vaistech never gave me a heads up, but if it is an iPod Touch 2g thing, then maybe no other iPod interface would work.

Last edited by Shahryar; 08-31-09 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-03-09, 10:43 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by Shahryar
yeah, that's why. I bought my 2008 IS 350 new in January and a few months after put the Sl2vi in. But I had not done the navi hacks yet so (since I had to be parked w/ emergency brake on) I just watched very little video here and there - mainly to show off the capability to friends. It was working fine.

Well I finally got around to doing the navi hacks so that I can watch video on the go. But now after not even an hour of constantly watching, the screen is black and white. I called VAIS and apparently it's an iPod Touch 2g thing. Now I don't know what to do. I have a 32gb iPod Touch 2g which was quite a bit of money. I really don't want to have to replace it w/ a 3g one when it rolls out - if that even solves the problem.

the person I called at VAIS's tech support (Mike) made it seem like it was always there so I'm not sure it has to do w/ the iPod Touch's latest firmware. but I did update recently for $9.99.

I feel a bit misled because I remember in my PMs and the group buy forum I did say what I had and vaistech never gave me a heads up, but if it is an iPod Touch 2g thing, then maybe no other iPod interface would work.
Any chance you can try a different iPod model with your set up?

We have seen this before and it's a combination of iPod and the car display that causes this problem. We are not able to fix it because it randomly happens on certain cars with certain serial numbers of iPod Touch. If you try different iPod and it works in color then I think it points to the problem device in this chain NAV screen--SL2Vi--iPod
Old 09-05-09, 03:43 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VaisTech
Any chance you can try a different iPod model with your set up?

We have seen this before and it's a combination of iPod and the car display that causes this problem. We are not able to fix it because it randomly happens on certain cars with certain serial numbers of iPod Touch. If you try different iPod and it works in color then I think it points to the problem device in this chain NAV screen--SL2Vi--iPod
I have not tried a different iPod yet, but yeah, it's happening randomly. I've been trying to see if there's a pattern but haven't found anyone yet. Sometimes it'll stay in color the whole day (my ride to and from work - 45 minutes each way), sometimes it starts in black and white and stays in b&w, and other times it's in color and then goes to B&W.
Old 09-06-09, 07:14 PM
silentbob
Driver

Originally Posted by Shahryar
I have not tried a different iPod yet, but yeah, it's happening randomly. I've been trying to see if there's a pattern but haven't found anyone yet. Sometimes it'll stay in color the whole day (my ride to and from work - 45 minutes each way), sometimes it starts in black and white and stays in b&w, and other times it's in color and then goes to B&W.
weird...keep us posted if you notice any patterns...
Old 09-06-09, 08:28 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by silentbob
weird...keep us posted if you notice any patterns...
Will do. For now, I'm wondering what's going on with other people's sl2vi and iPod Touch 2g or other "incompatible" iPods. Is everyone else who's dealing with black and white permanently have black and white or are they going to color too at different times.
Old 09-17-09, 11:00 AM
silentbob
Driver

has anyone used tried a nano 4gen (the one that comes in 16gb) in their sl2vi? does that output color video?

Quick Reply: black and white video on vaistech unit