IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

10k maintenance due before 10k miles and questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-09, 01:57 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default 10k maintenance due before 10k miles and questions...

I just got a letter in the mail from Lexus stating it's time for my 10k maintenance. However, I only have 9100 on the OD. I know it's supposed to be every 5k miles or 6 months (it's been 8 months), but my maintenance reminder hasn't come on in the dash like it did for my first change (dealer said it was okay to wait a little on the first one). I'd like to keep the changes at even 5k increments if possible. Do you think I should go ahead with this maintenance ahead of time (now) or wait it out until I hit 10k (likely another two months). Does the maintenance reminder on the dash only come on when it thinks you've gone over the time limit or is it something we can all use as a guide (a la Honda's Maintenance Minder)?

Also, the manual recommends I have the A/C filter changed. Having only used my A/C two times since new (2008), is this really neccessary? I'd like to go in just for the oil and filter change and avoid all other charges and inspections (I've already had my brakes checked and I know how my car drives, thank you very much) Does it look bad in Lexus's and the dealership's computer when I go to trade in the car that certain things for maintenance were ommitted or put off until later? (Yeah, I am thinking too much). ; )

Thanks for any replies.
Old 08-01-09, 02:17 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I just got a letter in the mail from Lexus stating it's time for my 10k maintenance. However, I only have 9100 on the OD. I know it's supposed to be every 5k miles or 6 months (it's been 8 months), but my maintenance reminder hasn't come on in the dash like it did for my first change (dealer said it was okay to wait a little on the first one). I'd like to keep the changes at even 5k increments if possible. Do you think I should go ahead with this maintenance ahead of time (now) or wait it out until I hit 10k (likely another two months). Does the maintenance reminder on the dash only come on when it thinks you've gone over the time limit or is it something we can all use as a guide (a la Honda's Maintenance Minder)?

Also, the manual recommends I have the A/C filter changed. Having only used my A/C two times since new (2008), is this really neccessary? I'd like to go in just for the oil and filter change and avoid all other charges and inspections (I've already had my brakes checked and I know how my car drives, thank you very much) Does it look bad in Lexus's and the dealership's computer when I go to trade in the car that certain things for maintenance were ommitted or put off until later? (Yeah, I am thinking too much). ; )

Thanks for any replies.
Go ahead and do the oil change and rotate the tires. That's it until 15k. No, it won't look bad when you trade the car.
Old 08-01-09, 03:47 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tromly
Go ahead and do the oil change and rotate the tires. That's it until 15k. No, it won't look bad when you trade the car.
Can't have the tires rotated, I have the stock 18"'s.
So that's another thing to scratch off the service list. Didn't someone recently say they went to the dealership asking how much for an oil change?
Old 08-01-09, 06:51 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it was $60+ so go to toyota and get the oil change.
Old 08-01-09, 12:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vuiskool
I think it was $60+ so go to toyota and get the oil change.
If I take it to Toyota, can they reset the computer after the oil change? I don't want to be stuck with the light on later down the road. Also, is there a specific type of oil that Lexus recommends that Toyota may not use?

Thanks for info...
Old 08-01-09, 10:06 PM
tC350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I take it to Toyota, can they reset the computer after the oil change? I don't want to be stuck with the light on later down the road. Also, is there a specific type of oil that Lexus recommends that Toyota may not use?

Thanks for info...
You think FAR too much lol, newer Toyota's have the same oil required soon light as Lexii do.....and unless you ask for a special type of oil they'll put in what the oil cap on your engine recommends
Old 08-01-09, 10:16 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Thanks for info...
Yes, a Toyota dealer should be able to reset the oil interval light, and if they don't you can do it yourself. Instructions are in the owners manual and in the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum.

I'm sure they'll have no problem providing the right oil -- the same 5W30 or 5W20 they use in newer Toyotas is fine for the IS.