IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Change - 5w-20 or 5w-30? What everyone is using?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 09:23 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rizon25
At 41000 miles, switched from mobil 1 5w30 synthetic to amsoil 0w-30 signature series. I have noticed that the gear shifts are definitely smoother, especially from 1st gear to 2nd gear on my auto transmission. However, the cost for 7 quarts set me back about $62 bucks. Definitely worth it.
You're attributing smoother transmission shifts to a change in engine oil?

The cost at least shouldn't be much of an issue since you'd only need to change 1/yr with that stuff anyway
Old 09-02-10, 03:19 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
0W-30, Mobil1 w/ the bright green cap
^right on! The Mobile 1 0W-30 seems to actually make the car idle smoother, or maybe its just my imagination. The best part is when I watch my mechanic drain and refill the oil...the used oil is like a dark honey color, and the new stuff is like Crisco! Glad to see it doing its job... MOBIL 1 0W-30 FTW!
Old 09-02-10, 03:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, all this talk about making the car run smoother, shift better, looking good going in and going out, some freaking miracle for sure.
Old 09-02-10, 06:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,052 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Wow, all this talk about making the car run smoother, shift better, looking good going in and going out, some freaking miracle for sure.
Check the boards at Bobistheoilguy.com. Oil can do anything!
Old 09-02-10, 08:25 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a good website to go to
Old 09-02-10, 08:45 PM
Rizon25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You're attributing smoother transmission shifts to a change in engine oil?

The cost at least shouldn't be much of an issue since you'd only need to change 1/yr with that stuff anyway
Maybe it's just my imagination but I feel that the car doesn't shift as hard as before. I just put the oil in so I'll see after driving it more.
Old 09-02-10, 10:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Bingo, lots of imagination and feel good factor of such and such oil changed every 3000 miles in normal driving conditions, some still do it. The imaginary benefits are spectacular.
Old 09-03-10, 05:54 AM
RangerJoe
Driver

Do you guys have your oil changes done at the dealer, local shop, or do it on your own? If I bring my own oil to the dealer, should they have a problem using that instead? I'm nearly ready for another oil change. I wouldn't mind picking up a quality synthetic on my own then waiting 10k for the next change.
Old 09-03-10, 07:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RangerJoe
Do you guys have your oil changes done at the dealer, local shop, or do it on your own? If I bring my own oil to the dealer, should they have a problem using that instead? I'm nearly ready for another oil change. I wouldn't mind picking up a quality synthetic on my own then waiting 10k for the next change.
My Lexus dealer does my oil changes, no need and no reason to bring in your own oil. They stock Mobil 1 synthetic oil. They are on board with 10K oil changes on my IS350.
Old 10-06-10, 05:57 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RangerJoe
i just dropped my 2008 IS 350 last night at the lexus dealer in silver spring for an oil change with its own mobil 1 5w-30 oil. the car is at around 32,900 miles so this should be the 3rd oil cange i've done like this brining in my own oil. i think the cost is arounf $40 so i would ike to start going somewhere else for my next ones. because with my old accord when i brought my own oil in, the oil changes were something around $15.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
My Lexus dealer does my oil changes, no need and no reason to bring in your own oil. They stock Mobil 1 synthetic oil. They are on board with 10K oil changes on my IS350.
how much are your oil changes at the dealer if they provide the mobil 1?

Originally Posted by pewterss
My buddy who works for lexus, suggest highly that I used 5w-20... He was just like trust me, much better for the engine. I went to Advanced auto in CT and was only able to find Castrol syntec 5w-20. I'll pick up Mobile next time around. But my vote is for 5W-20
i wish i had some more time to research this. i had not had a chance to pick up oil and absolutely had to leave my car last night to get the oil change done because i was past the 11,500 mile mark with oil hat was in the car. at walmart they had the 5-quart bottle of mobil 1 5w-20 for i think like $23.50. they only had this same size bottle for mobil 1 5w-30 for high mileage vehicles and i wasnt sure what that was all about so i just got individual quarts at $6.27 a quart i think the price was. i picked up the 5 quart 5w-20 bottle to use in my old (now my sister's accord).

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It is good.

But it would be even better if you only had to change it half as often for the exact same results.

Which is the case with the 2IS in real life compared to the manual. (and even less often using synthetic)

I mean, you'd probably have terrific driving results if you replaced your tires every 5k miles too... but you'd be wasting a lot of the useful life of the item everytime you replaced it. That's what you're doing with motor oil doing 5k changes in a 2IS under normal driving conditions.
your "even less often" comment, how much less? as i mentioned earlier im pushing over 11,500 miles on my IS in the last oil so im a little worried. i left the used oil analysis container eith the dealer, hope they dont forget to fill it with the oil.
Old 10-06-10, 06:02 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I use 5W20 Penzoil Platinum.
+1
very very good choice!
Old 10-06-10, 07:28 AM
matador250
Rookie

i have no idea what i'm going to use, this thread just confused me.

I guess i should stick to what the manual says.
Old 10-06-10, 10:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shahryar
your "even less often" comment, how much less? as i mentioned earlier im pushing over 11,500 miles on my IS in the last oil so im a little worried. i left the used oil analysis container eith the dealer, hope they dont forget to fill it with the oil.
Given folks have had good UOA results at 10k miles with non-synthetic oil I'd be pretty comfortable that you're not pushing anything at 11.5k on synthetic.

UOA is the only way to be sure, because there are certainly types of driving that can shorten oil life significantly (lots of idling, lots of short trips where the engine never reaches or spends much time at operating temp, etc...).

But I would expect with "normal" driving that 15k would be the bare minimum you'd want to consider changing synthetic oil, given as I said dino does fine at 10k or more... and I'd certainly have no worries running something like Amsoil for 20-25k between changes, though again UOA to be sure.

You'll probably want to change your filter more often though, given I don't think any makes synthetic media oil filters for the 2IS. Every 7500-10k miles is probably about right there.
Old 10-06-10, 03:53 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^ Thanks for the response, thought I'd recap to make I'm understanding correctly
1) so when you say " I'd be pretty comfortable that you're not pushing anything at 11.5k on synthetic," you're saying 11.5k on Mobil 1 5w-30 I should be fine. I did have the dealer fill up a used oil analysis container to mail today to (I think) blackstone to have it checked out. Let's see how it comes back. Dealer didn't say anything of note like "oil looks like it was used too far" so hopefully you're right.

2) The problem is oil filters which should be changed at 7500-1000k miles. This is all the more incentive for me to learn how to change my own oil because then I Could just pull the oil out, change the filter and put the same oil back in. I wish there was something for extended use w/ the oil filter. I remember back w/ my 2004 Accord, as per the manual under normal driving conditions, the oil was to be changed every 10k miles, but the filter every 20k. I just changed everything out every 10k miles because I wasn't sure how to check that or whatever
Old 10-06-10, 04:17 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

You don't need to drain all the oil out to change the filter... (nor would you re-use drained stuff anyway)

Generally at worst you'll have to top it off a bit after the change as you lose whatever was in the filter.

And yes, I'd expect your UOA to come back just fine with 11.5k on synthetic assuming normal driving.

Quick Reply: Oil Change - 5w-20 or 5w-30? What everyone is using?