HID metal clip clamp loose

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 10:15 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID metal clip clamp loose

Hi all,

The metal clip thing that latches down the HID bulb is loose (loose as in...doesn't clamp down as hard now...if i go over really bumpy roads, it may lose contact with battery)...did anyone experience this and if so, how did you fix it?

I was going to just use electrical tape to make the clip thicker but i think that'll melt the adhesive

thanks guys!
Old 08-05-09, 06:29 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

anyone can shed some light on this?
Old 08-05-09, 09:00 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by w1ck3d64
anyone can shed some light on this?
hahaha. anyone else get the irony of this? Shed some light? HIDs? Yeah- it's a boring day.

Absolutely confusing question. Why would your HID bulb lose contact with the battery if it's the clip that holds the bulb against the shield that's loose? the bulb doesn't make any contact with the battery

I'm guessing you don't mean the battery at all, but are saying that the metal wire clip that hooks into and under the projector back is becoming loose, resulting in your bulb being incorrectly situated and thus, reducing light output.

I would not recommend putting any kind of tape to hold the clip down. an HID bulb arc burns at several thousand degrees Fahrenheit, and adhesive burning could release noxious fumes that damage the lens and housing. How is it loose? are you sure it's hooked behind and under the projector? Those clips are pretty damn sturdy. Then again, ill fitting HID bulbs stick out a lot more in the back, and can cause considerable strain on them.

It would be helpful if you took some pictures of what you mean- I could be completely wrong in my assumption here.
Old 08-06-09, 03:12 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ELL Y
hahaha. anyone else get the irony of this? Shed some light? HIDs? Yeah- it's a boring day.

Absolutely confusing question. Why would your HID bulb lose contact with the battery if it's the clip that holds the bulb against the shield that's loose? the bulb doesn't make any contact with the battery

I'm guessing you don't mean the battery at all, but are saying that the metal wire clip that hooks into and under the projector back is becoming loose, resulting in your bulb being incorrectly situated and thus, reducing light output.

I would not recommend putting any kind of tape to hold the clip down. an HID bulb arc burns at several thousand degrees Fahrenheit, and adhesive burning could release noxious fumes that damage the lens and housing. How is it loose? are you sure it's hooked behind and under the projector? Those clips are pretty damn sturdy. Then again, ill fitting HID bulbs stick out a lot more in the back, and can cause considerable strain on them.

It would be helpful if you took some pictures of what you mean- I could be completely wrong in my assumption here.
you know that clip that holds the bulb down? right before u attach it to the battery you have to sit the bulb in and latch it down right? i think that latch isn't tight enough..like i can hit a bump and if it's hard enough it'll shake the bulb loose

so it's not the light output but it's either output or no output lol
Old 08-06-09, 03:28 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry. I have lost you. You have stock HIDs then, right? and you are referring to the little metal thing on the projector that helps ground it or something?
Old 08-06-09, 03:47 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ELL Y
Sorry. I have lost you. You have stock HIDs then, right? and you are referring to the little metal thing on the projector that helps ground it or something?
yeah i have stock HIDs...i swapped out the bulbs...on the stock there is a metal clip to keep the bulb from moving...it doesn't ground it but it just keeps the bulb in place...kinda like a placeholder...that clip is loose T___T
Old 08-06-09, 03:48 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked at the clip to see if it's damaged? Might be a tweaked spring in the clip? I haven't looked through the HID housing in months so I don't rmb what they looked like. Or can you post pics of comparison your good clip and bad clip so we can get a better idea of what you are talking about?
Old 08-06-09, 04:02 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

can't u bend the clip alil to make it have more tension? Have u checked if there's any damage to the clip or the lil latch that holds the clip down?
Old 08-07-09, 08:28 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XprincoX
can't u bend the clip alil to make it have more tension? Have u checked if there's any damage to the clip or the lil latch that holds the clip down?
i tried bending it...but then i guess i didn't try hard enough...was afraid that i'll bend it to a point where i can't fix it lol
Old 08-07-09, 10:46 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first I was confused also but now I'm pretty sure he's referring to this. Other than posting pics, I'm not much help on this lol. But if it were me, I would just try bending it in a bit more so it could hold down the bulb tighter.

Old 08-08-09, 06:37 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BorIS350
At first I was confused also but now I'm pretty sure he's referring to this. Other than posting pics, I'm not much help on this lol. But if it were me, I would just try bending it in a bit more so it could hold down the bulb tighter.

that's exactly what i'm talking about...thanks man! i am so busy lately that i didn't have time to take pictures of it ><
Old 08-09-09, 05:17 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

bent it back and now it's all good...thought i was gonna snap it...had to bend it that hard =T
Old 08-09-09, 08:32 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

is anyone note that our lexus afs headlight not strong inside? like when i drive over a small bump or every time i close my door at night, i saw my light shake, which is weird
Old 08-10-09, 10:25 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ohiois350
is anyone note that our lexus afs headlight not strong inside? like when i drive over a small bump or every time i close my door at night, i saw my light shake, which is weird
shake as in your light flickers...or just the lamp shakes?