IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My First Lexus Deal

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 11:08 PM
Lex IS 250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Lexus Deal

Hi - this is my first post and also brand new to the forum. I thought I would share my experience buying a Lexus IS 250 today.

After a week of debate b/t purchasing a Mercedes C300 Sport or an IS 250, I decided on the Lexus. After visiting one Lexus salesman in person and later calling two others, I was unable to get anyone to offer a deal better than $800 off MSRP.

I got smart and called a new salesman (same dealership) and told him I was coming to buy two cars - one for myself, and one for a family member who was buying an 06' RX 330. I told him we would not do business unless we both got a good deal.

At the dealership, the deal was worked on the RX 330, and it was only "okay," but family member was happy with it so we accepted. Family member was in finance office to ink the deal, and I walked back and told them to stop as we had not yet finalized my deal on an 09' IS 250. This so enraged the finance manager, he was visibly angry and said something to the effect that we should buy our cars from a different dealership.

Despite his anger, I walked everyone back to the salesman's desk at which time he was obliged to sale me my car at dealer invoice. (After reading some of these forums, I wonder if I should have pushed for 1-3% under invoice?)
At any rate, I was happy.

I asked the salesman later if I would have gotten a dealer invoice deal without a second vehicle purchase, and he said no. I then asked if I would have gotten a dealer invoice price without dragging family member out of the finance office, and again he said no and further said that the dealership wanted at least another $500 from me! He whispered under his breath that I had "done well."

I can't wait until Monday to get my car. It only has 9 miles and was taken directly off the truck with everything still covered in plastic! Even getting this car and not the 100-200 test drive model was awesome as finance manager was upset that he had to pull one off the truck for a "low gross" deal, as the salesman termed it.

(Thanks Austin for the encouragement to go Lexus and not MB!)

Last edited by Lex IS 250; 08-08-09 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-08-09, 11:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Congrats on your new car and welcome to the family! Which color did you get?
1) Never believe any words of a salesman. He whispered "you did good," but he's making plenty of profit under the table from Lexus. He didn't tell you that part. The goal of any sales person is to make the most money possible from every deal. They are trained to do this and know a million ways to get it or convince you otherwise. They do not consider withholding information as lying, but it's practiced constantly.
2) Other dealers would only give you $800 of sticker!? Were they on crack at the time? This is August 2009!
3) Any employee who would make me feel guilty or sorrowful for a "low gross sale" could shove it up his chromed tailpipe. I'd walk right out of a place sooooo fast...
4) Congrats again and enjoy in good health!
Old 08-09-09, 01:03 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the purchase and welcome! Post pics!
Old 08-09-09, 01:10 AM
gemini1
FNM President

Congrats and Welcome to CL.....picssssssss
Old 08-09-09, 07:42 AM
Lex IS 250
Driver School Candidate

I haven't actually picked the car up. They pulled it off the truck, so I get to pick it up on Monday after it has been checked out and detailed. I will post some pics as soon as I get it!

It it is black on black with 19" wheels and spoiler, rwd. Base model except for those two add ons.

Thanks for the tips on their profit.

There's only one dealer in my area (e.g., B'ham, AL) and they truly wouldn't budge on price without doing this. The first two or three salesmen I talked to this week told me they were selling like 20 or 30 of these cars a month and didn't have to discount it. It's an extremely popular car in my area.

I was really surprised to figure out that so much of getting a good deal depends on finding the right salesperson, even at the same dealership. I really tried with others - going to dealership several times, several calls, several test drives, spoke to sales manager, etc ... and no one would do much except for the $800 discount ... then wham, I met the one we did business with who worked with me. I told him that I was really surprised that I was trying to do a two car deal and there weren't any smart salesmen who could make it happen. His response was that he could do it because he was willing to take a bigger hit on profit because he focused on volume. He said a lot of salespersons around there were actually mad at him for this. Probably a bunch of hot air, but he was very believable.
Old 08-09-09, 07:59 AM
leescape
Driver

Congrats on the purchase. How did you get 19" wheels from the dealer? What kind are they?
Old 08-09-09, 08:01 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know not every car salesman is a crook. Plus we all have families to feed and they have to make some $$. Just because you believe you got wronged doesnt mean all the sales guys are bad. Some people are just narrowminded.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Congrats on your new car and welcome to the family! Which color did you get?
1) Never believe any words of a salesman. He whispered "you did good," but he's making plenty of profit under the table from Lexus. He didn't tell you that part. The goal of any sales person is to make the most money possible from every deal. They are trained to do this and know a million ways to get it or convince you otherwise. They do not consider withholding information as lying, but it's practiced constantly.
2) Other dealers would only give you $800 of sticker!? Were they on crack at the time? This is August 2009!
3) Any employee who would make me feel guilty or sorrowful for a "low gross sale" could shove it up his chromed tailpipe. I'd walk right out of a place sooooo fast...
4) Congrats again and enjoy in good health!
Old 08-09-09, 09:35 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats! haha, you're really smart about buying cars!
You'll love the 250 Very slow, but it has a kick!
Old 08-09-09, 10:57 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait, you signed for the car without seeing it first?